CDZ What are your thoughts on Gerrymandering? Good? Bad?

Is Gerrymandering wrong?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I favor what is essentially Gerrymandering Reparations to make up for the decades, 60 years!! that the democrats have been drawing them

That is amazing that we Democrats have had such power for 60 years.........where were the Republicans all of that time?

Who decides what rectangle? Vertical or Horizontal? Fat or thin?

Who determines how much is possible?

You people are like dogs chasing your tails...

There is no other viable system.

Racists would love your plans because it would wipe out the majority of black Representatives, but who else would want such a thing?
Do you not understand what a "regular rectangle" is?

It would not wipe out black representatives, it would most likely increase them.

You conservitards are against ending gerrymandering because you benefit more often than Democrats do.

Rectangles? That is absolutely silly. Districts are not comprised by equal land area. They are comprised by equal populations. They would all be rectangles if they were made by third graders.

Both parties engage in rampant gerrymandering, and whichever party is in control at the time, is the one against ending gerrymandering.
Nobody said the rectangles had to be the same size, kid.

Use your head.

Great, different size rectangles. Now you’re thinking like a fourth grader. I think we both agree that the politically motivated gerrymandering should be mitigated, but the the district lines need to be drawn encapsulating equal sized population without regard to political profile or specific shapes. Some natural barriers like bodies of water or rivers and mountains may dictate natural districts.
A rectangle is a defendable shape
A gerrymander which zigs in and out and takes a bizarre shape is not defendable

Equal populations of people can’t be divided into rectangles.

Actually, the candidates party is selecting who gets to vote for them.
Or, what angers people most, is that the opposition party determines who votes for them.

I'm not saying gerrymandering is perfect. It just sucks less than anything else.

The ones looking to get elected should have nothing to do with the process of who gets to vote where

Oh, really? In NY Illegals get drivers licenses and 16 years olds are registered to vote
Nothing wrong with illegals proving they can drive and getting insurance. Makes it better for me

16 year olds do not vote

Same way they pay their fair share of healthcare costs, right?
Good point

I would like to see them be able to contribute to the healthcare they receive. But they have to stay under the radar

The ones looking to get elected should have nothing to do with the process of who gets to vote where
Lots of things "should not" take place.

Until a better idea comes up this is what we have.

Lots of better ideas have come along.

But there are those who prefer gerrymandering.
Gerrymandering is a great tool for those wanting to rule from a minority
Next best is stacking the courts

I hate Gerrymandring when it benefits the Liberals and love it when it benefits the Conservatives. Just saying.

I have been very open here at USMB over the years that I am opposed to gerrymandering regardless of which party it benefits. In my opinion, gerrymandering is a corruption of the American ideal that our votes matter.
Beyond that- it frankly encourages corruption by elected officials- people from both parties have cut deals with each other to allow gerrymandering if it protects their specific district- and their specific job.

Frankly I don't understand why there is not universal condemnation of this corrupt practice.
This thread is an opportunity to express your opinion on gerrymandering. If all you want to do is condemn the opposite party for doing it- well I can't stop you but I am hoping we can get something more substentive than 'well they did it first so we should do it too'.

Because it's not that big of a deal. It's not like left-wing states, start sending ultra-conservatives to congress. Nor do you see right-wing states sending Communists to congress.

So if the people are generally speaking getting what they want.... then who cares?

It's all a bunch of wailing and screaming over nothing. Look, if your state wants to change the rules on redistricting, then you have your state do it. This isn't a significant national issue. Most of the people, are getting the leaders they want.
Then Why do they spend millions on it, and do it, if it "did nothing"....?

I don't see it doing anything. People generally get the representatives they want.

Look, if you think it is such a terrible thing in your state, then you deal with it in your state. I'm a firm believer in states rights. So go change the laws in your state. What I have a problem with, is you trying to dictate how my state works. No, you don't. Mind your own business. People should stick their nose up their own butt, not everyone else's butt.

I hate Gerrymandring when it benefits the Liberals and love it when it benefits the Conservatives. Just saying.
So let’s just dump the whole thing and let the people decide

Gerrymanders should be Hunter to extinction no matter which party they support.

Congressional (and other) districts should be regular rectangles as much as possible.

Racists would love your plans because it would wipe out the majority of black Representatives, but who else would want such a thing?

It would not wipe out black representatives, it would most likely increase them.

You conservitards are against ending gerrymandering because you benefit more often than Democrats do.
LOL have you SEEN the Gerrymandering required across the Country to create Black districts? The dems did that in the 90's and it was foul as hell, IN FACT the districts being complained about the most are those very districts that republicans left intact and then you whiny little shits complained about them.

Rectangles? That is absolutely silly. Districts are not comprised by equal land area. They are comprised by equal populations. They would all be rectangles if they were made by third graders.

Both parties engage in rampant gerrymandering, and whichever party is in control at the time, is the one against ending gerrymandering.

Use your head.

Great, different size rectangles. Now you’re thinking like a fourth grader. I think we both agree that the politically motivated gerrymandering should be mitigated, but the the district lines need to be drawn encapsulating equal sized population without regard to political profile or specific shapes. Some natural barriers like bodies of water or rivers and mountains may dictate natural districts.
So you are OPPOSED to all the black districts the democrats created across the entire US in the 90's?

Republicans need to continue Gerrymandering for a few more decades in order to make right the wrong the democrats did when they were in power.

Wow- I think that the last time Democrats 'were in power' for decades at a time was in the '30's. How long do we have to put up with Republican corruption just to make you feel better about 'corruption' from 1938?
Liar the Dems were in power from 1932 to 1994 except for a couple years here and there in the US Congress.

Use your head.

So you are OPPOSED to all the black districts the democrats created across the entire US in the 90's?

Yes
They do more harm than good

Congressional (and other) districts should be regular rectangles as much as possible.

LOL have you SEEN the Gerrymandering required across the Country to create Black districts? The dems did that in the 90's and it was foul as hell, IN FACT the districts being complained about the most are those very districts that republicans left intact and then you whiny little shits complained about them.
I think I was pretty clear that it should all go away.

Ya NOW, but remind me how you complained before 2010 when it was democrats setting the districts?

Ya NOW, but remind me how you complained before 2010 when it was democrats setting the districts?
I have always been against gerrymandering.

Forum List

Back