What Are Your Internet Manners?

You just say that because you get your ass handed to you on a regular basis, and it makes you grumpy, dainty.

"I have written on all sorts of subjects... yet I have no enemies; except indeed all the Whigs, all the Tories, and all the Christians." David Hume

I do not continue an argument beyond a few comments, though I will post new material if relevant.

I never - rarely - get mad at ad hominem replies.

I do not take this so serious I have to curse - exception emphasis.

I do not correct grammar, as I sometimes re-read something I wrote, and think WTF. Plus content matters, thought is often haphazard.

I try to add links or quotes that support, embellish, or stand as a foil to a reply.

I often reply only to add information and not debate; debate with some people is useless.

On occasion, I hope some post or thread helps get someone through the day or lights a light.

I try to stay away from personal or financial information or bragging.

I usually find the single clever sentence replies cute but useless.

If a reply, regardless of length, makes me laugh out loud, even when I disagree, I positive rep it.

Enough for now. ;)

"If anybody asks me what I have accomplished, I will say all I have accomplished is that I have written a few good sentences." Eric Hoffer

"I have written on all sorts of subjects... yet I have no enemies; except indeed all the Whigs, all the Tories, and all the Christians." David Hume

I do not continue an argument beyond a few comments, though I will post new material if relevant.

I never - rarely - get mad at ad hominem replies.

I do not take this so serious I have to curse - exception emphasis.

I do not correct grammar, as I sometimes re-read something I wrote, and think WTF. Plus content matters, thought is often haphazard.

I try to add links or quotes that support, embellish, or stand as a foil to a reply.

I often reply only to add information and not debate; debate with some people is useless.

On occasion, I hope some post or thread helps get someone through the day or lights a light.

I try to stay away from personal or financial information or bragging.

I usually find the single clever sentence replies cute but useless.

If a reply, regardless of length, makes me laugh out loud, even when I disagree, I positive rep it.

Enough for now. ;)

"If anybody asks me what I have accomplished, I will say all I have accomplished is that I have written a few good sentences." Eric Hoffer

I may not agree with your POV too much, but I do respect you as a Person. Your style is gentle and kind. We are in part all products of our upbringing. If we pass you by in the Ark, after the next food, I will make sure We stop and pick you up, We will make room for you, No One left behind. ;)

That's the American Printing style.

In proper British Punctation, which is the "gold standard", only periods and commas which are part of a quote are included within the quotation marks.

What you see is what you get here. The nonverbal element is lacking, so I'm probably a bit more outspoken (and wordy :lol:) here than IRL where I'd be far more inclined to say certain things without words. But the basic "me"? No difference, really.

I cannot understand why anyone would develop a whole new persona for the 'net...what the hell is the payoff?

Are you kidding me ? Self delusion is running rampant. People actually get offended here----how stupid is that ?

If I type in caps do you have to plug your ears ?

In real life I'm shy and reserved. I never talk to anyone and stay locked up in my room here at St Elizabeths.......
How I'm able to type wearing this straight jacket is beyond me but hey, stranger things have happened........

that's the american printing style.

In proper british punctation, which is the "gold standard", only periods and commas which are part of a quote are included within the quotation marks.

link!!!!

That's the American Printing style.

In proper British Punctation, which is the "gold standard", only periods and commas which are part of a quote are included within the quotation marks.

That gives us an excuse, right? ;) :lol:

You certainly are "very high maintenance" today.

With regard to quotation marks adjacent to periods and commas, there are two styles of punctuation in widespread use. While these two styles are most commonly referred to as American and British (and some style sheets provide no other name), some American writers and organizations use the British style and vice versa. Both systems have the same rules regarding question marks, exclamation points, colons and semicolons. They differ on the treatment of periods and commas.

In the U.S., the standard style is called American style, typesetters' rules, printers' rules, typographical usage, or traditional punctuation, whereby commas and periods are almost always placed inside closing quotation marks.[10] This style of punctuation is common in the U.S., Canada, and in the U.K. in fiction and journalism.[11]

The other standard style—called British style or logical punctuation[12]—is to include within quotation marks only those punctuation marks that appeared in the quoted material, but otherwise to place punctuation outside the closing quotation marks.

Quotation mark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I prefer the elegance of the Logical British Style.

Every time I visit this forum, I make a conscious attempt at NOT throwing any insults towards anyone. If the urge grows strong, which it has a countless number of times, I'll leave the thread or the boards completely, hoping the usual self-riteous members will toss the criticisms instead.

O, we do! LOL...justice appeals to me more'n manners. I stomp bigots every time I see one.

I think USMB needs people like us both, masquarade. If everyone flung snot, it'd be too contentious...but if no one did, who would spank the bad apples?

What? I need a spank? Will you be using your hand or a paddle?

Listen, I used to insult with the best of 'em, but times have changed. I've changed. I try not to judge those who are so critical of others ... it's not my place. All I know is when I do turn negative with my thoughts and words, it doesn't feel good. It feels wrong to me.

Who I am on USMB is who I am generally IRL. I try not to use bad language ... but every now and again someone posts something that just royally pisses me off and I temporarily turn into a sailor who has just had his pecker maced while getting his nuts cracked. If I've got an issue to take up with someone I try to do it through PM rather than public castigation. Some threads I don't open at all because of who's named as OP ... it's usually the same old BS all the time, generally on the same subject.

I guess I say pretty much what I mean ... and mean what I say.

:clap2:

I tend towards being as I am in real life, but (there's always one of them), I admit that when pushed on multiple threads by a poster, I'll go off in ways I'd never do in real life. On the other hand, I'd never suffer the fools the way I do here. I'd have walked away long ago. But there is no good way to 'ignore' real people, you just get away!

I don't behave/speak all that differently here than I do IRL. I wasn't aware when I first joined that USMB allows kids on, and I have been cognizant of this since I learned. But in truth, we seem to have only a couple of young people and they seem to hold their own, so it does not chill me as much as perhaps it should.

I think the men on USMB owe the ladies a modicum of consideration. Save the no-holds-barred viciousness and threats for one another. I think the young owe a teeny-weeny amount of consideration to the mature, and the mature owe a much larger consideration to everyone else, especially the very young.

I think it's wrong to keep after someone who has thrown the white flag or seems to be distressed.

I think the straights need to check the anti-gay insults, especially when they hurl them at GLBT USMB-ers. This is something I need to work on myself.

I think our military and vets should be looked at by us civilians with gratitude and pride. We admire you. We admire your families.

If you are a professional -- painter, plumber, lawyer, scientist, doctor, computer genius, broker, etc. -- remember some people on the 'net are so lacking in critical thinking skills they will follow your advice to the letter. You all know the caveats to use....I think you should try to remember to include them when you post "with your biz hat on".

I think the American USMB-ers are generally polite to the furreniers, and that this is, after all, a US political board. I hope we aren't all coming across as Ugly Americans and I know, I like learning a little about other nations.

So, what are your USMB manners?

BTW, I certainly dun claim I never have a manners faux pax. Mine are hardly the standard anyone else should be following...at least not as I practice them!

Virtual manners ? :rolleyes:

I don't behave/speak all that differently here than I do IRL. I wasn't aware when I first joined that USMB allows kids on, and I have been cognizant of this since I learned. But in truth, we seem to have only a couple of young people and they seem to hold their own, so it does not chill me as much as perhaps it should.

I think the men on USMB owe the ladies a modicum of consideration. Save the no-holds-barred viciousness and threats for one another. I think the young owe a teeny-weeny amount of consideration to the mature, and the mature owe a much larger consideration to everyone else, especially the very young.

I think it's wrong to keep after someone who has thrown the white flag or seems to be distressed.

I think the straights need to check the anti-gay insults, especially when they hurl them at GLBT USMB-ers. This is something I need to work on myself.

I think our military and vets should be looked at by us civilians with gratitude and pride. We admire you. We admire your families.

If you are a professional -- painter, plumber, lawyer, scientist, doctor, computer genius, broker, etc. -- remember some people on the 'net are so lacking in critical thinking skills they will follow your advice to the letter. You all know the caveats to use....I think you should try to remember to include them when you post "with your biz hat on".

I think the American USMB-ers are generally polite to the furreniers, and that this is, after all, a US political board. I hope we aren't all coming across as Ugly Americans and I know, I like learning a little about other nations.

So, what are your USMB manners?

BTW, I certainly dun claim I never have a manners faux pax. Mine are hardly the standard anyone else should be following...at least not as I practice them!
Why don't you just lie some more and tell women that they are ***** and have maggot infested pussies some more, Miss Manners. :rolleyes:

Damn, are you delusional - daring to speak of manners. Classless, better hags who haven't more than two brain cells to rub together amaze me in what they dare write.

Last edited:
I insult everyone equally, so as not to be viewed as biased, preferential, or bigoted.

All of you can eat me.

:)

Forum List

Back