What Are You Reading?

Daily Strength for Daily Needs
Book by Mary Tileston

Daily Strength for Daily Needs by 1843-1934Mary Wilder Tileston, first published in 1901, is a rare manuscript, the original residing in one of the great libraries of the world. This book is a reproduction of that original, which has been scanned and cleaned by state-of-the-art publishing tools for better readability and enhanced appreciation. Restoration Editors' mission is to bring long out of print manuscripts back to life. Some smudges, annotations or unclear text may still exist, due to permanent damage to the original work. We believe the literary significance of the text justifies offering this reproduction, allowing a new generation to appreciate it.

Glory in Death (In Death #2)
by
J.D. Robb (Goodreads Author)

It is 2058, New York City. In a world where technology can reveal the darkest of secrets, there's only one place to hide a crime of passion-in the heart.

Even in the mid-twenty-first century, during a time when genetic testing usually weeds out any violent hereditary traits before they can take over, murder still happens. The first victim is found lying on a sidewalk in the rain. The second is murdered in her own apartment building. Police Lieutenant Eve Dallas has no problem finding connections between the two crimes. Both victims were beautiful and highly successful women. Their glamorous lives and loves were the talk of the city. And their intimate relations with men of great power and wealth provide Eve with a long list of suspects -- including her own lover, Roarke.

Maigret and the Millionaires
by Georges Simenon

Maigret's investigations of the attempted suicide of the glamorous Countess Paverini and the death of her multimillionaire lover, David Ward, take him behind the glittering facade of the world famous hotels in Paris, Monte Carlo and Lausanne and into the private world of the very rich.

D9CD56A3-C6CE-4B05-ACB6-E990204620AF.jpeg

Maigret In Society Paperback – 1965
by Georges Simenon (Author)

Maigret finds himself in a vanished world, when he's called to solve the case of the Comte de Saint-Hilaire, a former ambassador shot dead in his library.

The first mystery that confronts Maigret is that the Comte was carrying on a romance, purely by letter, for 55 years with the Princess Isabelle de V-- (he called her Isi). The Comte and Isi are like characters out of a book, people from the eighteenth century who wandered into the twentieth.

Isi's marriage to the Prince was a marriage of state, arising from the need for certain ancient families to marry wealth and position. The Comte was too poor enough to marry Isi. The Price knew all about his wife's innocent little romance, and didn't mind a bit. In fact everyone in this exalted circle knows all about it. The bizarre morality of "these people" is foreign territory to the chief inspector.

Maigret is having trouble finding a motive, since nobody gains unduly by the Comte's death. The old housekeeper Jacquette must know something, but her reserve is impenetrable, her loyalty to the Comte and his rarefied world absolute.

The truth, Maigret suspects, is simple. And yet it eludes him.

This is a poignant tale about a love kept forever young between two old people. It's quite charming to watch the case stir up Maigret's own romantic susceptibilities.

Nineteen Eighty-Four
Novel by George Orwell

Nineteen Eighty-Four, often published as 1984, is a dystopian novel published in 1949 by English author George Orwell. The novel is set in the year 1984 when most of the world population have become victims of perpetual war, omnipresent government surveillance and propaganda.

Nineteen Eighty-Four
Novel by George Orwell

Nineteen Eighty-Four, often published as 1984, is a dystopian novel published in 1949 by English author George Orwell. The novel is set in the year 1984 when most of the world population have become victims of perpetual war, omnipresent government surveillance and propaganda.

The one of his I most enjoyed was: Down and Out in Paris and London.

Nineteen Eighty-Four
Novel by George Orwell

The one of his I most enjoyed was: Down and Out in Paris and London.
Haven't got that one yet but I'll look for it.

Maigret in Retirement
Maigret in Retirement (French: Maigret se fâche) is a 1945 detective novel by the Belgian mystery writer Georges Simenonfeaturing Jules Maigret.

Two years into his retirement at Meung-sur-Loire, Maigret has yet to be tempted to take on a case. But 82-year-old Bernadette Amorelle, the widow of Amorelle of Amorelle and Campois, the major gravel and barge company on the Seine, shows up at his door and virtually orders him to Orsennes, where her 18-year-old granddaughter, Monita Malik, has been found dead in the Seine. Maigret arrives and finds an old acquaintance from his days at lycée in Moulins, Ernest Malik, who they'd called "The Tax Collector" after his father's occupation, the sort of man Maigret instinctively disliked. It is made clear that Maigret's presence in Orsenne is unwelcome, but Maigret is intrigued by the apparent disappearance of Malik's younger son, Georges-Henry Malik.

Maigret returns to Paris to investigate further and to enlist the services of Mimile, an old circus hand, with whose help he rescues the boy from the cellar his father has imprisoned him in. The mystery is finally unraveled when Bernadette shoots and kills her son-in-law Ernest, and Maigret returns to hear her story. Malik had been a gambler, and enticed Désiré Campois' son, Roger Campois, into gambling way over his head, until he committed suicide, thus freeing Amorelle's daughter from her engagement, and giving Ernest room to marry into the family. He was more intrigued by the younger daughter, Aimée Amorelle, who bore his child, Monita, but not before he had brought his younger brother, Charles Malik, in to marry Aimée, eventually forcing Old Campois from power, and conquering all but Bernadette. The daughter, Monita, had learned the secret, and shared it with Georges-Henry.

Immortal in Death
Novel by Nora Roberts

In the third novel in the #1 New York Times bestselling In Death series, Lieutenant Eve Dallas uncovers a world where technology can create beauty and youth, but passion and greed can destroy them...She was one of the most sought after women in the world. A top model who would stop at nothing to get what she wanted even another woman s man. And now she was dead, the victim of a brutal murder. Police Lieutenant Eve Dallas put her life on the line to take the case when suspicion fell on her best friend, the other woman in the fatal love triangle. Beneath the facade of glamour, Eve found that the world of high fashion thrived on an all-consuming obsession for youth and fame. One that led from the runway to the dark underworld of New York City where drugs could be found to fulfill any desire for a price

The Body in the Vestibule
Book by Katherine Hall Page

Another thrilling Faith Fairchild adventure from the Agatha Award-winning author of The Body in the Belfry. The Fairchild family is blissfully on sabbatical in Lyon, France, when their peace is interrupted by Faith's discovery of a body in the dumpster.

Another thrilling Faith Fairchild adventure from the Agatha Award-winning author of The Body in the Belfry. The Fairchild family is blissfully on sabbatical in Lyon, France, when their peace is interrupted by Faith's discovery of a body in the dumpster.

I'm in the mood for page turners, and have bought John Grisham's Camino Island. Am just into the book. He certainly knows his detailed background detailed stuff.

I'm in the mood for page turners, and have bought John Grisham's Camino Island. Am just into the book. He certainly knows his detailed background detailed stuff.
I usually read between three and six books at a time, different genre's though. I spent the day working on a Maigret murder mystery by Georges Simenon. Most of the books I read are old because I can get them for $1 to $2 at a local church that sells the local library's discards and donation's to help keep the library going. I have some Grisham somewhere in my reading room but haven't gotten to him yet.

Maigret Goes to School is 1954 detective novel by the Belgian writer Georges Simenon featuring his character Jules Maigret.

In the story, Maigret is called from his usual duties in Paris to investigate a murder in a small village located close to La Rochelle. A local postmistress has been killed and suspicion has fallen on the local schoolmaster. When Maigret gets there he discovers a very inward-looking community, which hated the dead woman because she knew all their secrets.

I'm gonna crack this one in the next day or so. Even though I already know the answer.

What%20Has%20Government%20Done_Rothbard_20150526_CreateSpace_8.5x11_bookstore.jpg

Forum List

Back