What are some of your favorite songs by the rock band, R.E.M.?

bluzman61

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2019
Valparaiso, Indiana USA
My favorites are - 1) Radio Free Europe 2) (Don't Go Back To) Rockville 3) It's The End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine) 4) Everybody Hurts, and 5) So. Central Rain

The One I Love song by REM is played at weddings and such, but isn't a love song. It's far from it and song writer Michael Stipe has said that it's "dark and disturbing" song, but didn't let on. One of the things Stipe is is a lyricist, but he left a lot of what he meant out. Instead of explaining, he used repetition and a line or two that seem out of place. The clues come in with "A simple prop to occupy my time" line signifying that he's using people. That could be one scenario in a user/used relationship, but the second line that offers another clue is "Fire." When he sings "Fire," he's talking about the firing of weapons of mass destruction or missiles and nukes. What he loves could be the Earth, his country, or another country. There really isn't much to do once it is done, but it's a "a simple prop to occupy my time."

Listen to the song here and watch the second video without the sound. Get it now?

Forum List

Back