WH Threatens to Veto Anti-Sanctuary City Bill

So far nobody's put up what law the sanctuary cities aren't enforcing.

Sanctuary cities do NOT violate federal law.

The status usually means that the city has publicly let it be known that they will refuse to cooperate with immigration officials. Not illegal, but highly irresponsible.

This bill would have threatened to withhold federal funding to such cities.

Obviously these cities are controlled by Dims who can't until America is turned into the worlds largest third world nation.
Are they required to help the feds? I don't think so. If some illegal immigrant shop lifts ten bucks, and under state law gets a misdeameanor citation and release from custody, why should by state tax dollars go to holding him till the feds get around to collecting him? Why shouldn't my state taxes go to locking real dangerous people?

Funny thing the entire state of Texas is consider a sanctuary state for illegals, and I bet not many of you knew this...

It should not be a local officer job to find out if someone is here legally, and it should be the Federal Government job which they have failed to do countless of times before Obama and will keep on failing at after the nimrod is gone.

So passing a bill like that is just to punish liberal cities like Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Austin and so on for failing to do what the Federal Government should have been doing all this time...

Instead of passing a bill like that why don't they start cracking down on companies and individuals that hire the illegals instead?

Oh wait that would mean cracking down on the GOP base that enjoy the illegal and paying them little while complaining they are stealing American Jobs...

Enforce the laws we already have and stop passing stupid garbage that is not needed...

Use E-verify, enforce immigration laws that are on the books, and fund the INS with the proper amount of money to hire agents to track down the illegals...

Oh why bother to use commonsense when it is easier to pass a bill that will be veto and used as political fire against the left instead?

Also for those that want a list of cities and states here you go:

List of Sanctuary cities

sanctuary cities - - Yahoo Search Results

Cities are supposed to hold illegals until they can be picked up by the feds.
They refused and the feds refuse to enforce immigration laws.

That is if they know the individual is illegal...

I knew someone that for years drove around with a legal drivers license with his actual name that was given to him by the state of California and then by the state of Texas and he even had a social security card issued to him with his actual name, and the guy was a illegal alien that overstayed his visa...

Now when the police pulled him over a few times how were they suppose to know he was illegal, and no he did not do anything illegal to obtain these ID's because there was a loophole in the laws back then that allowed him to fall through the cracks and he obtained his license to drive while on visa...

So how would a officer actually know if the person is illegal if they present legal documentation?

In the end it is the failure of the U.S. Government to enforce the laws on the books and putting any more burden on the local, county and state officers is just pure nonsense...

Now I do agree if the officer knows and let the person go then that is wrong too...

If they have the proper papers I can understand not catching them.
But as in the illegal that murdered the girl in san fran they knew damn well he was an illegal.

The status usually means that the city has publicly let it be known that they will refuse to cooperate with immigration officials. Not illegal, but highly irresponsible.

Obviously these cities are controlled by Dims who can't until America is turned into the worlds largest third world nation.
Are they required to help the feds? I don't think so. If some illegal immigrant shop lifts ten bucks, and under state law gets a misdeameanor citation and release from custody, why should by state tax dollars go to holding him till the feds get around to collecting him? Why shouldn't my state taxes go to locking real dangerous people?

They're supposed to hold them for a certain amount of time and inform ICE.
They don't.

Well first of all, many illegals that are wandering our streets are "real dangerous people".
Second, it's just flat out irresponsible for elected officials as well as bureacrats to knowingly allow people to violate our immigration laws !!
In fact all Americans should show some pride in their countries right to it's borders and it's sovereinty !
It's unfortunate we have a huge percentage of the country who just don't give a fuck, and in fact work to keep these lawbreakers here.
They're called Dimocrats.

Funny thing the entire state of Texas is consider a sanctuary state for illegals, and I bet not many of you knew this...

It should not be a local officer job to find out if someone is here legally, and it should be the Federal Government job which they have failed to do countless of times before Obama and will keep on failing at after the nimrod is gone.

So passing a bill like that is just to punish liberal cities like Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Austin and so on for failing to do what the Federal Government should have been doing all this time...

Instead of passing a bill like that why don't they start cracking down on companies and individuals that hire the illegals instead?

Oh wait that would mean cracking down on the GOP base that enjoy the illegal and paying them little while complaining they are stealing American Jobs...

Enforce the laws we already have and stop passing stupid garbage that is not needed...

Use E-verify, enforce immigration laws that are on the books, and fund the INS with the proper amount of money to hire agents to track down the illegals...

Oh why bother to use commonsense when it is easier to pass a bill that will be veto and used as political fire against the left instead?

List of Sanctuary cities

I knew someone that for years drove around with a legal drivers license with his actual name that was given to him by the state of California and then by the state of Texas and he even had a social security card issued to him with his actual name, and the guy was a illegal alien that overstayed his visa...

Now when the police pulled him over a few times how were they suppose to know he was illegal, and no he did not do anything illegal to obtain these ID's because there was a loophole in the laws back then that allowed him to fall through the cracks and he obtained his license to drive while on visa...

So how would a officer actually know if the person is illegal if they present legal documentation?

In the end it is the failure of the U.S. Government to enforce the laws on the books and putting any more burden on the local, county and state officers is just pure nonsense...

Now I do agree if the officer knows and let the person go then that is wrong too...

But as in the illegal that murdered the girl in san fran they knew damn well he was an illegal.

Now I do agree with that, and my friend even agrees with that...

The problem is it is a burden on the local law enforcement to find out if the person they are pulling over is illegal or not if they have a proper license issued by the state, and they should not be required...

So instead of passing a new law or bill why not just enforce what we have already?

As for the murderer the fact is California will never enforce immigration laws within it state just like Texas because the majority is Hispanic, and they do not want to alienate their voting block...

Harsh reality and it does suck, and it is not right either but reality...

List of Sanctuary cities

Now I do agree with that, and my friend even agrees with that...

The problem is it is a burden on the local law enforcement to find out if the person they are pulling over is illegal or not if they have a proper license issued by the state, and they should not be required...

So instead of passing a new law or bill why not just enforce what we have already?

As for the murderer the fact is California will never enforce immigration laws within it state just like Texas because the majority is Hispanic, and they do not want to alienate their voting block...

Harsh reality and it does suck, and it is not right either but reality...

You shouldnt have to worry about alienating illegal aliens.
And those that came here legally dont want illegals anymore than naturally born citizens.
Liberals want em here for votes.
Why republicans want them is beyond me since it almost guarantees they'll lose every election.
There's something more going on here and it aint about cheap labor or votes.

Well first of all, many illegals that are wandering our streets are "real dangerous people".
Second, it's just flat out irresponsible for elected officials as well as bureacrats to knowingly allow people to violate our immigration laws !!
In fact all Americans should show some pride in their countries right to it's borders and it's sovereinty !
It's unfortunate we have a huge percentage of the country who just don't give a fuck, and in fact work to keep these lawbreakers here.
Some are, and they should be arrested. But trying to assert locals should enforce federal law IS HARDLY CONSISTENT WITH CONSERVATIVE PRINIPALS OF LEAVING GOVERNMENT DECISIONS OF USING LOCAL TAX DOLLARS AT LOCAL LEVELS, and smacks of unfunded mandates, which real conservatives oppose.

White House threatens to veto anti-sanctuary city bill, ahead of Senate test vote

The White House on Tuesday threatened to veto a Republican-backed bill that would crack down on so-called sanctuary cities by withholding funding to local governments that don't cooperate with federal immigration officials.

The veto threat comes ahead of a critical Senate test vote Tuesday afternoon.

GOP sponsors furiously are trying to peel off a few Democrats to advance the Stop Sanctuary Cities Act, whose consideration comes months after a young woman's murder in San Francisco allegedly at the hands of an illegal immigrant touched off a national debate over immigration law.

White House threatens to veto anti-sanctuary city bill, ahead of Senate test vote

So in essence, Obama is going to veto a bill that says the Sanctuary Cities need to follow the law. Did this president repeat in his Oath to the protect the laws of this land?
Obabble is thrilled that Kate is dead at the hands of an illegal...no
doubt. The man is a piece of shit.

Some are, and they should be arrested. But trying to assert locals should enforce federal law IS HARDLY CONSISTENT WITH CONSERVATIVE PRINIPALS OF LEAVING GOVERNMENT DECISIONS OF USING LOCAL TAX DOLLARS AT LOCAL LEVELS, and smacks of unfunded mandates, which real conservatives oppose.

Let the feds spend the money and do the work, but when they come asking for information concerning illegals, HAND IT OVER !!!!
Doing anything else is irresponsible to the country and disrespectful to actual citizens, not to mention encouraging illegals to come here.

sanctuary cities have a ''don't ask, don't tell'' policy....the employees simply are not required to ask a person for their papers, they don't ask people if they are citizens or not....

this is what I read about sanctuary cities, and how it works there....they simply don't ask for citizenship proof.... or something like that?

Now if those cities had said they weren't going to enforce federal gun laws (let's call these Gun Sanctuary Cities), they'd be hailed as the most awesome cities EVAH by the Right.

Your statement deals with what ifs. Try dealing with the reality of what IS happening.

sanctuary cities have a ''don't ask, don't tell'' policy....the employees simply are not required to ask a person for their papers, they don't ask people if they are citizens or not....

this is what I read about sanctuary cities, and how it works there....they simply don't ask for citizenship proof.... or something like that?

Then why call them sanctuary cities. If no one knows, there's no reason to call them anything. A sanctuary city, by definition, is one where those running choose not to prosecute illegals. If they don't know who is and who isn't illegal, why are they referred to as something that doesn't matter?

The White House on Tuesday threatened to veto a Republican-backed bill that would crack down on so-called sanctuary cities by withholding funding to local governments that don't cooperate with federal immigration officials.

GOP sponsors furiously are trying to peel off a few Democrats to advance the Stop Sanctuary Cities Act, whose consideration comes months after a young woman's murder in San Francisco allegedly at the hands of an illegal immigrant touched off a national debate over immigration law.

So in essence, Obama is going to veto a bill that says the Sanctuary Cities need to follow the law. Did this president repeat in his Oath to the protect the laws of this land?

I hope he does veto it. That will sure help Hillary get elected.

Now if those cities had said they weren't going to enforce federal gun laws (let's call these Gun Sanctuary Cities), they'd be hailed as the most awesome cities EVAH by the Right.

If my Aunt had testicles, well.... that's the problem with IF.
Except we have had actual cases of the Right worshipping violators of federal law.

So how deep is your Aunt's voice?

Not very.. she's dead. I don't worship anyone's violation of the law.

But do tell, why is it ok for a city to refuse to enforce federal law? Will you be ok when a city refuses to issue same sex marriage licenses? F course not this admin would unleash a torrent of lawyers on any city that did that.... oh yeah, they did.
Did you read the op-ed I posted?

See? I knew you guys wouldn't read it.

Does it make sense to you to take away law enforcement money from these cities?

I prefer to take away their welfare money, but if their citizens want to harbor illegal aliens, let them suffer the consequences.

There actually is no Sanctuary Cities Law. The bill we are discussing HR3009 titled, Enforce the Law for Sanctuary Cities Act reads:

Amends the Immigration and Nationality Act to make a state or local subdivision ineligible for state criminal alien assistance program funding if it: (1) has in effect any law, policy, or procedure prohibiting or restricting communication with the Immigration and Naturalization Service or other government entity regarding an individual's citizenship or immigration status; or (2) prohibits state or local law enforcement officials from gathering information regarding an individual's citizenship or immigration status.

The bottom line is the bill will do absolutely nothing in regard to sanctuary cities. This bill does not compel law enforce to do anything they are not doing now. If someone chooses to enforce this law, they will find the funding that would be cut off is an insignificant part of most law enforcement budget. However, since the president is not going to sign the bill and it's not going to pass the Senate, this is just another one of those bills created strictly for political reasons. Much ado about nothing.

H.R.3009 - 114th Congress (2015-2016): Enforce the Law for Sanctuary Cities Act

Last edited:

Then why call them sanctuary cities. If no one knows, there's no reason to call them anything. A sanctuary city, by definition, is one where those running choose not to prosecute illegals. If they don't know who is and who isn't illegal, why are they referred to as something that doesn't matter?
Nope. Cities can not prosecute persons for violation of immigration law. Immigration violations must be adjudicated in federal immigration court. In fact, local law enforcement can't even arrest most people who are in the country illegally because being in the country without proper documentation is not necessarily a crime. They can only detain the person, usually a maximum of 72 hours for transfer to federal authorities. Federal immigration agents will determine whether the person has a status violation, usually overstaying a visa or entering the country illegally, a criminal misdemeanor.

If we are to fix the illegal immigration problem we have change the law.

aren't you all states' righters?

so funny

Forum List

Back