Well it didn't take the screamer long to get his lawyers lined up

What if United told you once you were seated that they were bumping you because you paid $200 for your seat and someone at the gate is willing to pay $800?
It is a business decision.....bump you so they can give your seat to someone more profitable

That is what they did to Dr Dao.......we have someone we will make more money off of to take your seat

He was bumped so they could fly four employees instead
Yes he was
It was not because of life threatening circumstances they needed a seat. They needed four seats to get them to their next assignment.
They could have flown them on a small Cessna or chartered a plane
It was cheaper to bump a passenger......because they could

I hearing Dr Dao is the Vietnamese Rosa Parks. Uhh, no. If his name was SMITH, nobody would care less. race is the issue because people make it so. Like a placebo.

Ummmm.......Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat

Get it?

Funny how you sidestep the question. Yes, I travel, I despise airline games.I hate games altogether. My doctor has never played games like that either. Just saying. Good Friday to you.

Sooooooooooooo.... what do you expect his patents to do then? Fly to Chicago?
Dao's least concern is his patients. Now, suspend your credulity. Does YOUR doctor need to fly in from another state with an some kind of imperative? All my Doctors always had someone to cover for them, either way. so what was his big deal?
Dr Dao was visiting California and had a connection in Chicago. He lives and practices in Loisville

It seems obvious he cares about his patients. The easiest path would be to just take the $800 and say screw the patients

just think if United would have been wise and offered him a couple of thousand to comply. instead they offer next to nothing. The whole story goes away. Now they have a mess....created by themselves.

just think if United would have been wise and offered him a couple of thousand to comply. instead they offer next to nothing. The whole story goes away. Now they have a mess....created by themselves.
I doubt if Dr Dao would have taken it. But someone else on the flight would have jumped at it

What if United told you once you were seated that they were bumping you because you paid $200 for your seat and someone at the gate is willing to pay $800?
It is a business decision.....bump you so they can give your seat to someone more profitable

That is what they did to Dr Dao.......we have someone we will make more money off of to take your seat

Yes he was
It was not because of life threatening circumstances they needed a seat. They needed four seats to get them to their next assignment.

WAS cheaper. Not anymore

I hearing Dr Dao is the Vietnamese Rosa Parks. Uhh, no. If his name was SMITH, nobody would care less. race is the issue because people make it so. Like a placebo.

I haven't heard anyone compare him to Parks and that would be a stupid comparison

Funny how you sidestep the question. Yes, I travel, I despise airline games.I hate games altogether. My doctor has never played games like that either. Just saying. Good Friday to you.

Sooooooooooooo.... what do you expect his patents to do then? Fly to Chicago?
Dao's least concern is his patients. Now, suspend your credulity. Does YOUR doctor need to fly in from another state with an some kind of imperative? All my Doctors always had someone to cover for them, either way. so what was his big deal?

It ISN'T a big deal. When you (anybody) leave town for the weekend ---- you have to travel to return. Simple as that. This was a Sunday flight -- he's coming home (as I suspect most of the passenger list is) at the end of a weekend to be in place for Monday morning. Happens all over the world, every week, everywhere.

Are you suggesting this particular doctor isn't allowed to travel? I don't get it.

Last edited:

Yes he was

WAS cheaper. Not anymore

United is now the butt of jokes
It will take a long time to live it down....if ever

A few hundred dollars could have saved them millions

It's always instructive when some jackboot authoritarian citizen-abuse event happens ---- who comes out on which side.

Always instructive, rarely surprising. :rolleyes:

Moron......did they ask the man to leave the seat? Yes. Did he refuse that lawful request? Yes. Did they ask him again to leave his seat? Yes. Did they give him a lawful order to leave the seat according to the law? Yes. Did he again refuse to now follow a lawful order from a law enforcement officer, enforcing the law? Yes.

You guys are morons....he knew exactly what he was doing....he is a criminal who knew he had a golden opportunity ...
Hey fartface, why should he give up the seat he paid for just so some airline employees could get a ride? There was no emergency that required those people to be at the other airport any sooner than they could have driven.

Yup, I keep pointing that out. Chicago to Louisville is so short it's not even worth getting on a plane.

I doubt if Dr Dao would have taken it. But someone else on the flight would have jumped at it
I heard his wife was on the flight as well, and no he would not have taken it, he didn't want his wife to be alone on the flight...but someone would have...
I would have just submitted to the air marshals the first time. it's bad enough being contradictory on this board, some of you people would love to pull me off of here by my ankles too.
They were NOT Air Marshals, they were NOT the Chicago Police, they were Airport Security Force.

I haven't heard anyone compare him to Parks and that would be a stupid comparison
The comparison refers to refusing to give up your seat

Two completely different situations not even remotely relevant to each other
Two situations to not need to be identical to be relevant

Both involved a paying passenger refusing to give up their seat when ordered to do so

The airlines is authorized to offer as much as $1350, without having to go to a boss asking for permission.... I heard they had only offered the high of $800 to see if they could get volunteers to give up their seats.

and went for BUMPING before they offered the maximum for someone to volunteer.

THAT was the Airline's FIRST MISTAKE.

The airlines is authorized to offer as much as $1350, without having to go to a boss asking for permission.... I heard they had only offered the high of $800 to see if they could get volunteers to give up their seats.

On a flight that was effectively the last flight of the day and with the next offered flight at 3PM, United should have realized involuntary bumping would cause hardship. Bumping was going to provoke passenger outrage
Management should have immediately stepped in and authorized whatever additional compensation was needed

Doesn't begin to make financial sense either --- giving up what, $3200 in potential fares to fly four people a distance they could have driven in a car for twenty-five bucks worth of gas.

Doesn't begin to make financial sense either --- giving up what, $3200 in potential fares to fly four people a distance they could have driven in a car for twenty-five bucks worth of gas.
What would United have done if those four employees showed up at the gate ten minutes later?
They would have chartered a flight or driven them

What would United have done if those four employees showed up at the gate ten minutes later?
I've been bumped on a LaGuardia (NYC) to Tampa and rebooked on a flight from NYC to another city in Florida, and the Airlines Paid a LIMO Driver to get me to the Tampa Airport where my car was, over 100 miles away.

I've been bumped on a LaGuardia (NYC) to Tampa and rebooked on a flight from NYC to another city in Florida, and the Airlines Paid a LIMO Driver to get me to the Tampa Airport where my car was, over 100 miles away.
What would they have done to get their four employees 300 miles to Louisville?
Five minutes later and that flight would have taken off. What would they have done with their four employees then?
It is much cheaper to bully an old man out of his seat than arrange alternative transportation

Forum List

Back