Well I wont be using H&R Block or Jackson Hewitt anymore

Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
Obamacare lovers.

Obamacare's Arm's-Length Allies: H&R Block and Jackson Hewitt

Two of the nation’s top three tax-preparation services are turning out to be allies of the Obama administration in the battle to get people signed up for health insurance coverage under the Affordable Care Act.

It’s a no-brainer: For uninsured customers who are coming into tax-prep offices to get their taxes done, it takes only a few extra minutes to fill out the forms for health insurance.
The surprise? The federal government has had nothing to do with this sign-up drive. Jackson Hewitt and*H&R Block*are doing it on their own as a customer service. “My sense has been that they [government officials] just have a lot on their plate and I’m not sure they’ve fully appreciated the opportunity that tax preparers represent,” says Stan Dorn, a senior fellow at the Urban Institute think tank in Washington.“We haven’t really consulted with HHS [the Department of Health & Human Services],” says Mark Ciaramitaro, H&R Block’s vice president of health services.

“We came to this conclusion ourselves based on our clients’ stated needs.” H&R Block calls its service*Helpth, for help with health.The tax preparers aren’t taking sides in whether the AffordablTe Care Act is a good law or a bad one, nor are they pushing their clients to sign up for coverage. “Our role in this is pretty simple,” says Brian Haile, senior vice president for health policy at*Jackson Hewitt. “If you don’t like Obamacare, we understand, but it’s part of the tax code. There are tax consequences for those choices and we want to make sure you understand what those consequences are. As long as people make an informed choice, we’re doing our job.”

Obamacare's Arm's-Length Allies: H&R Block and Jackson Hewitt - Businessweek

Forum List

Back