Well dang, it's 12 degrees here and .....

miketx

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2015
My alternator doesn't look like it's working. The battery light is on and the gauge is showing lower than it usually does. Nothing is open here and it's too cold to work on it. Damn!

My alternator doesn't look like it's working. The battery light is on and the gauge is showing lower than it usually does. Nothing is open here and it's too cold to work on it. Damn!
Mine died last week

Garage replaced it, and recommended a battery tender, because I don't drive enough.

Better hunker down til tomorrow, and keep your faucets dripping.

Piss on it and quickly try to turn it over...

/----/ Throw a electric blanket over the engine for an hour and that should help you get it started. You may also have water in the gas line that has frozen.
How to Start a Car in Cold Weather | YourMechanic Advice

• Banned
You need to learn who to write in a more descriptive manner. For example, what is the "it" you refer to? And, what is it I should "turn over"? I mean this isn't a blow up doll or anything.

• Banned
/----/ Throw a electric blanket over the engine for an hour and that should help you get it started. You may also have water in the gas line that has frozen.
It starts and runs fine, it's just the battery Icon is lit up and and the gauge shows it not charging. I'll check it out tomorrow probably and see if any wires are broke and if it has got 12 volts to it from the battery. If so the the ALT is bad.

It starts and runs fine, it's just the battery Icon is lit up and and the gauge shows it not charging. I'll check it out tomorrow probably and see if any wires are broke and if it has got 12 volts to it from the battery. If so the the ALT is bad.
My wife's Toyota was just a loose connection when we had same issue. Bat cable was a double connection and was just a little loose.

Minus 9 here, as in below zero...

it was -13 in the wee hours...

Texas oil companies have gotta be loving Matt and me.... we've got the oil heat cranked up so high, the oil heating system has got to be guzzling it! We are getting poorer by the minute and the Texan oil men are getting richer!

:eek:

You need to learn who to write in a more descriptive manner. For example, what is the "it" you refer to? And, what is it I should "turn over"? I mean this isn't a blow up doll or anything.
WTF were you saying didn't work on yer car? Sheesh you guys with early onset of dementia are aggravating...

Be sure ta check for amps...

Last edited:
Be sure t check for amps...
Volts. Volts.

Volts. Volts.
You drive a Chevy Volt?It doesn't have an alternator they put in a generator...Which is really what and alternator does...

Volts. Volts.
You drive a Chevy Volt?It doesn't have an alternator they put in a generator...Which is really what and alternator does...
No I don't drive a volt, why would you think that? I ain't driving anything because my alt-nator isn't alt-right. bad.

12 degrees isn't all that cold. Time for a new alternator. It's minus 30 here...truck starts right up.

Forum List

Back