Water Delivered to GB Via Meteorite

Jesus Christ!!! Don't touch that fuckin' thing!!!

1663466580564.png

""The composition of that water is very, very similar to the composition of water in the Earth's oceans," he told the British Science Festival."

HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW ...

How many different "compositions" of water are there ... I only know of H2O ... HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW ...

Water is common in the universe ... it is common in our solar system ... and it is common in rocks ... the hydrated minerals are everyplace ... Moon, Mars, Titan, Pluto, you name it, it's there ...

The better question is why is there still water on Earth's surface ... the usual answer is the magnetic field around the Earth keeps the ionizing radiation off the surface ... Mars doesn't have this magnetic field so all her water got blown off into space ... so be nice to our magnetic field, if she gets pissed an leaves us we'll be ... DOOMED ...

DUMAS, in his well-known memoir on the gravimetric composition of water, which every student is taught, and rightly so, to regard as one of the classics of chemistry, states that of all analyses presented to a chemist that of water is the one which offers the greatest uncertainty. Critics of a certain type may possibly take exception to the literal accuracy of this remark. No one, however, will gainsay the statement that, in view of the momentous issues which depend upon our knowledge of the composition of water, this knowledge is not by any means so exact as the state of contemporary science demands. It is, of course, not merely the question of the quantitative composition of water, but the far more important matter of the relative values of the atomic weights of hydrogen and oxygen. Of all stoichiometrical constants required by chemists nowadays, those of hydrogen and oxygen are infinitely the most important. Every chemist knows what is dependent on these ratios, and he knows too that the difficulties which their direct determination involves are well-nigh insuperable.

How many different "compositions" of water are there ... I only know of H2O ... HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW ...
Why don't you investigate or ask the author? Perhaps they were referring to Isotopologues of water which all form in different abundances under different conditions? Several isotopes of both hydrogen and oxygen exist, naturally occurring water is almost completely composed of the neutron-less hydrogen isotope protium. Only 155 ppm include deuterium and fewer than 20 parts per quintillion include tritium. Oxygen itself also has three stable isotopes. THO exists on Earth only in minute quantities, being produced primarily via cosmic ray-induced nuclear reactions in the atmosphere. Water with one protium and one deuterium atom HDO occur naturally in ordinary water in low concentrations, so the isotopic matrix found in the meteorite could very well give important clues to the origins and building of our oceans.

The most notable physical differences between them other than the simple difference in specific mass, involve properties that are affected by hydrogen bonding, such as freezing and boiling, and other kinetic effects. This is because the nucleus of deuterium is twice as heavy as protium, and this causes noticeable differences in bonding energies. The difference in boiling points allows the isotopologues to be separated, but to the average person, you couldn't tell a glass of one from the other looking at or drinking any of them. All of them would be "water" to you.

... Mars doesn't have this magnetic field so all her water got blown off into space ...
That too is probably not true. There is almost certainly water still existing in some subsoil locations on Mars, perhaps even on the Moon.

Last edited:
Look up "isotope"

Hey STUPID ... nucleic isotopes don't change the chemical properties of the molecule ... proteins with Carbon-14 act EXACTLY like proteins with Carbon-12 ... D2O and T2O are just as wet ...

All the things IN our solar system all started out as the same material ... the products of supernovae ... all the water has the same concentrations of light and heavy molecules ... and MOST of this water is tied up in hydrated minerals ... for example: copper sulfate is usually sold as her pentahydrate, formula CuSO4 • 5H2O ... those extra five water molecules are part of the crystal lattice of the solid form ... these are the blue semi-transparent rocks your landlord pours down your drains twice a year ...

The non-ferric portions of asteroids are primarily these hydrated minerals ... many times the number of moles of water as mineral ... so we have more than enough water from the beginning here on Earth ... any extra-terrestrial source is unnecessary, and probably unwelcome ...

Hey STUPID ... nucleic isotopes don't change the chemical properties of the molecule ... proteins with Carbon-14 act EXACTLY like proteins with Carbon-12 ... D2O and T2O are just as wet ...

All the things IN our solar system all started out as the same material ... the products of supernovae ... all the water has the same concentrations of light and heavy molecules ... and MOST of this water is tied up in hydrated minerals ... for example: copper sulfate is usually sold as her pentahydrate, formula CuSO4 • 5H2O ... those extra five water molecules are part of the crystal lattice of the solid form ... these are the blue semi-transparent rocks your landlord pours down your drains twice a year ...

The non-ferric portions of asteroids are primarily these hydrated minerals ... many times the number of moles of water as mineral ... so we have more than enough water from the beginning here on Earth ... any extra-terrestrial source is unnecessary, and probably unwelcome ...
Isotopes have already been explained to you … go away now

I know what an isotope is. Your MAGA turd buddy does not.

But you think I’m dumb…

Way to go retard

You are too stupid to say what is correct ... how does Oxygen-18 change the behavior of water? ... how does the size of the nucleus effect the outer electron orbitals ... go ahead and use Pauling's notation, we can look the symbols up easy enough ... and the math isn't that hard ...

Wait while "we" quietly shift "our" goalposts just a bit.. Now:

And what is your answer to the query? ... have you explored this matter at any length or did your throw this out here because you were bored? ...

How many different "compositions" of water are there? ... this is your OP, feel free to answer the questions directed to the OP ...

And what is your answer to the query? ... have you explored this matter at any length or did your throw this out here because you were bored? ...

How many different "compositions" of water are there? ... this is your OP, feel free to answer the questions directed to the OP ...
Me? Hell, WTF do I know? Like a BS in Chemistry means anything these days.. HA!
I posted this because I agreed with it. Howzat?

Me? Hell, WTF do I know? Like a BS in Chemistry means anything these days.. HA!
I posted this because I agreed with it. Howzat?

That applies to all water all over the universe ... where it is relatively common ... that doesn't support any extra-terrestrial source of the water on Earth ... how does the composition of water differ between Pluto and Mercury ... molecules have no memory ...

That applies to all water all over the universe ... where it is relatively common ... that doesn't support any extra-terrestrial source of the water on Earth ... how does the composition of water differ between Pluto and Mercury ... molecules have no memory ...
Much as it pains me to agree with the toobfreak anymore, in this case I do.. indubitably:
the isotopic matrix found in the meteorite could very well give important clues to the origins and building of our oceans.

Forum List

Back