Watching Professional Golf on TV

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
Is it fair to say that right now, the "Champions" tour is more entertaining to watch than the main PGA tour?

Phil just won his second geezer event (in two tries), and like him personally or not, he is one of the most entertaining golfers on tour. His willingness to go for impossible shots - with the unavoidable downside possibilities - makes him worth following around for the entire 18 holes.

Admittedly the geezer tour was in a slump for a couple years while that German guy was winning half the time (Langer), but now with Phil, Furyk, Els, and the other recent additions, I'd rather watch them. Who cares what the prize money is?

If I were captured by terrorist that were aiming to torcher me, they would lock me in front of a television and force me to watch professional golf.

Fun to play,sucks to watch.
I'm going to tell you right now, there is nothing wrong with watching golf and when I do, I am never bored.

043c1293b998bbaabc9ba025cdc7c6c7.jpg

Never really had time to watch golf this year, and I'm kicking Myself for it too!

b64822362707d306ff61eec6bc6b8c46.jpg

Is it fair to say that right now, the "Champions" tour is more entertaining to watch than the main PGA tour?

Phil just won his second geezer event (in two tries), and like him personally or not, he is one of the most entertaining golfers on tour. His willingness to go for impossible shots - with the unavoidable downside possibilities - makes him worth following around for the entire 18 holes.

Admittedly the geezer tour was in a slump for a couple years while that German guy was winning half the time (Langer), but now with Phil, Furyk, Els, and the other recent additions, I'd rather watch them. Who cares what the prize money is?
Want to take back what you said about Phil?

Im watching the us open day 3. I never watch day 1-3 golf but I’m waiting for my lakes annual fireworks to start and there’s nothing else on. How exciting for the guys at the top. And imagine having to go home and sleep one behind or one up one everyone else going into Sunday. Already they’ve played 3 days of golf going into Sunday. Imagine being three under par going into Sunday and being 3 ahead of everyone else. Wouldn’t it be great to be a pro golfer? As long as you’re making a lot of money, it would be a dream life.

But no matter the sport if you’re a great professional it’s never fun. It’s a job. And you have to give 100% so no time to smell the roses. Imagine Serena Williams. She can only enjoy it when she wins game set match. Until it’s over, it’s a grind. It’s not fun. They just make it look easy

I remember before I took up golf (at age 50), I learned that there was going to be a cable channel called, "The Golf Channel." I couldn't imagine anything so boring - wondered how they would fill in the hours. Now I watch it quite a bit. Lessons, interviews, replays of old matches, golf-related fiction.

Like most people (I guess), I would prefer to watch tournaments when players I know are on page one of the leaderboard, but other interesting story-lines pop up as well. This morning a 48-year-old Englishman named "Bland" was sitting at the top of the leaderboard for the first time in his life...he proceeded to have a fairly horrible day, punctuated by plopping one in a pond in front of the green on 18.

As a golfer, I know that you just never know how well you are going to do on any given day, and the same applies to touring pro's. A golfer could be the "best in the world" on Wednesday, then shoot an 82 on Thursday and blow himself out of this week's tournament...which makes it more interesting.

I remember before I took up golf (at age 50), I learned that there was going to be a cable channel called, "The Golf Channel." I couldn't imagine anything so boring - wondered how they would fill in the hours. Now I watch it quite a bit. Lessons, interviews, replays of old matches, golf-related fiction.

Like most people (I guess), I would prefer to watch tournaments when players I know are on page one of the leaderboard, but other interesting story-lines pop up as well. This morning a 48-year-old Englishman named "Bland" was sitting at the top of the leaderboard for the first time in his life...he proceeded to have a fairly horrible day, punctuated by plopping one in a pond in front of the green on 18.

As a golfer, I know that you just never know how well you are going to do on any given day, and the same applies to touring pro's. A golfer could be the "best in the world" on Wednesday, then shoot an 82 on Thursday and blow himself out of this week's tournament...which makes it more interesting.
How many of us were having a great game then got an 11 on the last hole. Lol

Forum List

Back