US Senator Ben Ray Lujan (D-NM) has stroke

Another vaccident?
He’s only 49 years old, had some kind of stroke. In hospital having surgery.

Dems have had a pretty frustrating year with Joe at the helm (sort of). Stress related high blood pressure?

Dems have had a pretty frustrating year with Joe at the helm (sort of). Stress related high blood pressure?

Strokes can have myriad causes. If he is expected to make a full recovery it means they got him to the hospital fast enough.

Last edited:
Lujan's absence from the Senate means Democrats will lack the 50 members needed for any purely partisan votes.

Democrats would not need any GOP votes to confirm President Joe Biden's eventual Supreme Court nominee so long as the party is unified in its support.

Is it me or does this seem contradictory?

Lujan's absence from the Senate means Democrats will lack the 50 members needed for any purely partisan votes.

Democrats would not need any GOP votes to confirm President Joe Biden's eventual Supreme Court nominee so long as the party is unified in its support.

I think the writer was trying to explain the problem that could result from this Senator's prolonged absence but got a bit confused along the way. Crappy editor.

Another vaccident?
He’s only 49 years old, had some kind of stroke. In hospital having surgery.

Look a the bright side: He would now be the most capable 2024 candidate to run for President on the Dem's ticket.

Look a the bright side: He would now be the most capable 2024 candidate to run for President on the Dem's ticket.
He could be brain dead and still more capable then Trump or DeSantis.

Yes. 49 out of 99 isn’t a majority. They need all 50 of 50 to get a vote win via the VP’s tie-breaker. The editor missed it I think.

Well, things can change, right? Maybe Lujan makes it back in time for a critical vote on a Supreme Court justice or a reconciliation bill of some kind. Or maybe a Republican falls ill, has a stroke or heart attack, you never know. Right now, Mitt Romney is out with COVID but he'll be back maybe next week. There's lotsa possibilities that could happen between now and November.

I'm sure that Lindsey Graham is going to vote for the choice. As well as several other Republicans.

It's really telling how the man has a stroke and the first thing everyone is concerned about are the political implications. :rolleyes:

Which presents the Senate democrats with quite a problem, as far as their confirmations of executive positions and federal judges go. Right now, there are a couple of Repub senators ill with Covid, but they are expected back next week and at that point the GOP would have a 50-49 majority. Would McConnell then become the Senate Majority Leader, thereby controlling what gets debated and what doesn't? I don't think so, I haven't heard that possibility discussed in the news anywhere. But how long with Sen Lujan be gone? One assumes he'll be back in time to vote on the replacement for Supreme Court Justice Breyer, which I believe isn't resigning until October, but any other absences in the Senate for the democrats would hamper their ability to pass anything in reconciliation or confirm that replacement.

Forum List

Back