Unarmed social workers hired to respond to 911 calls in Seattle

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
This is going to be a spectacular experiment in failure. Once these encounters begin going south they will start sending an officer with the social worker and this whole thing will be one giant mess.

This is going to be a spectacular experiment in failure. Once these encounters begin going south they will start sending an officer with the social worker and this whole thing will be one giant mess.

Sort of like Soviet times when every field commander had a political commissar of equal rank and authority assigned to him.

1693066713051.png

Depends on the nature of the 911. If it is with a person with a mental disorder who is unarmed studies show better outcomes for both responder and suspect.
If the call can be addressed successfully with a fuckin rodeo clown I don't care. I just have serious doubts that a bed wetter with a hoaky psyche degree is going to be effective dealing with an incorrigible homeless lunatic.

If the call can be addressed successfully with a fuckin rodeo clown I don't care. I just have serious doubts that a bed wetter with a hoaky psyche degree is going to be effective dealing with an incorrigible homeless lunatic.
Most of these people are starving for attention and acknowledgement of their existence. It is a primary need of citizens. Better to have a calm, casually dressed person who can communicate and listen than an armed person dressed in kevlar.

what idiots. I have a better idea. Let the Seattle lawmakers respond to 911 calls and lets see how long that lasts.

Most of these people are starving for attention and acknowledgement of their existence. It is a primary need of citizens. Better to have a calm, casually dressed person who can communicate and listen than an armed person dressed in kevlar.
I wish we still had the asylums that were operated by churches. The government could eliminate homelessness overnight if they wanted too.

They are only going to be sent to certain kinds of calls and they will have available police backup.

This is going to be the new model for policing.

Does Seattle still have officers? This is an excellent idea. Leave the police out of it completely.

Depends on the nature of the 911. If it is with a person with a mental disorder who is unarmed studies show better outcomes for both responder and suspect.

Long ago, I worked as a Psychiatric Case Worker on an Emergency Psychiatric Unit in a large inner-city and I agree with you completely.

I would, however, suggest that 2 trained individuals make the call and at least one of the remain armed with a concealed firearm in case things go sideways.

The key to resolving almost every stressful situation is to defuse it as calmly and clearly as possible.

At the same time, it pays to always expect the unexpected.

That's the key to getting stabbed only once while working with crazy people for about 10 years.

Thanks,

Forum List

Back