U.S. states sue Trump administration in showdown over border wall funds

'
“We’re suing President Trump to stop him from unilaterally robbing taxpayer funds lawfully set aside by Congress for the people of our states. For most of us, the office of the presidency is not a place for theater,” added Becerra, a Democrat.

Ironically, this lawsuit is just theater. I don't see how the states would have standing.

He overruled Congress on appropriations. Why have a congress, if Trump is just going to do whatever he wishes,
I agree.

But, did you say a word when Obama did the exact same thing?

You, like most ithers, only care when it doesn't suit you. You didn't say a word when Obama declared an emergency in Yemen or Libya. You probably supported Obama going around Congress on DACA.

It is us against Washington. They all do shit they shouldn't but they get away with it because we keep quite when they circumvent check and balances doing something we like.

Demand proper protocal when it benefits you, not just when you don't like it.

Rather interesting in that:
A) These states except for one is Democrat controlled.
B) The suit alleges economic hardship
C) Each is virtually financially insolvent.

The key is they want the money for their coffers.

A breach in national security is a national emergency which each President and most elected representatives have stated such over the past 20 years.

'WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A coalition of 16 U.S. states led by California sued President Donald Trump and top members of his administration on Monday to block his decision to declare a national emergency to obtain funds for building a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border.

A view shows a new section of the border fence in El Paso, Texas, U.S., as seen from Ciudad Juarez, Mexico February 15, 2019. REUTERS/Jose Luis Gonzalez
The lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California came after Trump invoked emergency powers on Friday to help build the wall that was his signature 2016 campaign promise.

Trump’s order would allow him to spend on the wall money that Congress appropriated for other purposes. Congress declined to fulfill his request for $5.7 billion to help build the wall this year.

“Today, on Presidents Day, we take President Trump to court to block his misuse of presidential power,” California Attorney General Xavier Becerra said in a statement.

“We’re suing President Trump to stop him from unilaterally robbing taxpayer funds lawfully set aside by Congress for the people of our states. For most of us, the office of the presidency is not a place for theater,” added Becerra, a Democrat.

The White House declined to comment on the filing.'

U.S. states sue Trump administration in showdown over border wall funds | Reuters

And so it begins.

I doubt they will win...but I CERTAINLY hope they do.

Trump's declared emergency is pathetically un-Constitutional. The Founding Fathers wanted Congress to allocate funds...NOT the POTUS (even if he is a manchild, like Trump).

Yeah, they really hate the country... this everyone already knew.

'WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A coalition of 16 U.S. states led by California sued President Donald Trump and top members of his administration on Monday to block his decision to declare a national emergency to obtain funds for building a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border.

A view shows a new section of the border fence in El Paso, Texas, U.S., as seen from Ciudad Juarez, Mexico February 15, 2019. REUTERS/Jose Luis Gonzalez
The lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California came after Trump invoked emergency powers on Friday to help build the wall that was his signature 2016 campaign promise.

Trump’s order would allow him to spend on the wall money that Congress appropriated for other purposes. Congress declined to fulfill his request for $5.7 billion to help build the wall this year.

“Today, on Presidents Day, we take President Trump to court to block his misuse of presidential power,” California Attorney General Xavier Becerra said in a statement.

U.S. states sue Trump administration in showdown over border wall funds | Reuters

And so it begins.

Trump's declared emergency is pathetically un-Constitutional. The Founding Fathers wanted Congress to allocate funds...NOT the POTUS (even if he is a manchild, like Trump).

The States have no standing to sue. They have no guarantee of federal drug interdiction funding, or military construction monies. Also Trump didn't have to declare the emergency, he could have just kicked the can on down the road like others have, he chose not to. So if that's the best argument the States can make, they best find better lawyers.

He overruled Congress on appropriations. Why have a congress, if Trump is just going to do whatever he wishes,

that is what your saying, isn't it?

"I didn't need to do it, I just wanted it done fast".

Maybe you should be asking congress why they gave the president the authority. BTW I don't recall any of you commies complaining when your dear leader directed the treasury to make cost sharing payments to insurance companies, when congress didn't allocate a dime for it, to the tune of tens of billions of dollars. But you sure as hell cried when Trump stopped the payments.

Has Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer made any effort to explain to this 'Snowflake Coalition' that it was THEY who gave the President the Constitutional / Legal Authority to declare this Emergency?

No? Of course not! :p

Reverse party affliction and it would be nonstop media coverage as to why national security is at risk. Imagine for one second if Obama, Schumer, Pelosi, et al had pushed for the wall, no argument, words nothing but words, same old vile in a different bottle game.

And so it begins.

It's amazing that the Democratic Party is trying to destroy America's sovereignty.

Will go to the Trump Supreme Court. Then we will see if the democrats can continue on with their version of weekend at Bernies with Ruth

And so it begins.

It's amazing that the Democratic Party is trying to destroy America's sovereignty.
Been doing this for a long long time now.

And so it begins.

Trump's declared ‘emergency’ is idiocy, nothing but a lie because there is no ‘emergency’ – it’s Trump attempting to appease his frightened, ignorant, bigoted, hateful base.

And we can hope that the lawsuits succeed to the extent that they enjoin Trump from misappropriating funds allocated for defense until Trump can be voted out of office next year – this idiocy goes away when Trump goes away.
if there is no emergency how come the dems allocated so much many then

Where?
I have not seen a dime.

And so it begins.

What's the big deal?

The great President Trump said this would happen on day one.

What’s the big deal?

Your messiah promised to his supporters......... Mexico is paying for the wall.

And so it begins.

Not defending Trump or anything but I would first rather see criminals Bush and Obama behind bars for their warmonger multiple crimes first before focusing on Trump. people should pay for the PAST criimes and their unconstitutional burning of the constitution since they did it FIRST.

And so it begins.

The Constitution has been a dead letter for at least a generation....Time to quit pretending that anyone cares about what it says.

Don't be too sure about that. Even Alan Dershowitz says it is not a emergency.

Alan Dershowitz: Congress' failure to authorize funds for the president is not an emergency
WTF does that have to do with what I said?

The only use you moonbat freaks have for the Constitution is as an obstacle to find ways to circumvent and ignore.

And so it begins.

The States have no standing to sue. They have no guarantee of federal drug interdiction funding, or military construction monies. Also Trump didn't have to declare the emergency, he could have just kicked the can on down the road like others have, he chose not to. So if that's the best argument the States can make, they best find better lawyers.

The states do have standing as the spending was authorized by Congress. This is going to court. Even Trump toady lawyer Alan Dershowitz says Congress' refusal to authorize spending is not a emergency. He says it is going to court. Even Trump says it is going to court, The Constitution clearly gives Congress the power of the purse.

And so it begins.

Trump's declared ‘emergency’ is idiocy, nothing but a lie because there is no ‘emergency’ – it’s Trump attempting to appease his frightened, ignorant, bigoted, hateful base.

And we can hope that the lawsuits succeed to the extent that they enjoin Trump from misappropriating funds allocated for defense until Trump can be voted out of office next year – this idiocy goes away when Trump goes away.
So were nearly all of the 13 goddamn fucking idiot "emergencies" declared by the Commie in Chief. So, shove your hypocrisy up your goose-stepping ass!

None of them directly contradict the Constitution. You are the hypocrite. If we were talking about a gun control law, you would be citing the Constitution. Since the Constitution contradicts Trump, you cite a law.

Forum List

Back