Two Histories: Which one is Correct?

Indeed, conflict is a great motivator for innovation.

Which "conflict" motivated the greatest expansion of the economy through innovation in the 1990's?

It was the cessation of the Cold War and the need for investors to find other avenues of growth that resulted in the Dot Com boom.

So the absence of conflict can be an even greater motivator for innovation.

Yes but what of the conditions that made them victorious in their various conquests? Why were some more successful than others? There are generally two theories on this and each hold an important part of the key. Location and environmental factors are one. Culture is the other.

Sometimes the answere to that is so simplistic it fucking blows ones mind.

In case of the Mongols it is the recursive bow.

Until then people in Asia and Europe only had long bows and short bows which couldnt penetrate thik armour.

With the exception of the crossbow, which took ages to load and couldnt be fired from horseback.

The recursive bow could unleash enought force with so little effort that the chainmail armours and steel plated cuirasses of the medieval knights and arabian warriors were renderd useless.

Absolutly. Besides the incentive being profit and benefit I guess technology should also be added.

The phalanx formation made hellenic conquest of Anatolia, Syria, Egypt, Mesopotamia, Persia and Bactria possible.

The new "Vorderlader" rifle made Prussias military so successfull in the late 19th century.

Better tech - less risk.

But technological advancement must be received in an environment that will foster and influence it. Conflict is merely and influence on culture.

Not always.

Sometimes it happens by chance, like with the mongols, who in comparision to those they defeated were rather primitive.

Sometimes it is also money, like the O Neill rebellion in ireland where Spanish and irish troops outnumberd the English, but were crushed because the English could afford better cavalry saddles for their lancers.

Indeed, I would hate to get into the chicken and the egg argument, but the society both the Mongols and the English created fostered wealth and/or innovation.

Which "conflict" motivated the greatest expansion of the economy through innovation in the 1990's?

It was the cessation of the Cold War and the need for investors to find other avenues of growth that resulted in the Dot Com boom.

Indeed, and welcome back. The setbacks are sometimes (If not always) more important than the successes. Failure is often necessary for advancement. The true question is that does a culture learn from its failures or does it ignore them. Generally, culturally conservative cultures fail because of failure to change to various conflicts and culturally liberal cultures prosper because they are able to change. Do not get this confused, however, with the way we politically think of those terms.

Last edited:

that is not the point

the point is that a nation with e technological advantage has the upper hand on the battlefield.

and not that the battlefield encourages technological advantages.

Sometimes the answere to that is so simplistic it fucking blows ones mind.

In case of the Mongols it is the recursive bow.

Until then people in Asia and Europe only had long bows and short bows which couldnt penetrate thik armour.

With the exception of the crossbow, which took ages to load and couldnt be fired from horseback.

The recursive bow could unleash enought force with so little effort that the chainmail armours and steel plated cuirasses of the medieval knights and arabian warriors were renderd useless.

Absolutly. Besides the incentive being profit and benefit I guess technology should also be added.

The phalanx formation made hellenic conquest of Anatolia, Syria, Egypt, Mesopotamia, Persia and Bactria possible.

The new "Vorderlader" rifle made Prussias military so successfull in the late 19th century.

Better tech - less risk.

But technological advancement must be received in an environment that will foster and influence it. Conflict is merely and influence on culture.

Not always.

Sometimes it happens by chance, like with the mongols, who in comparision to those they defeated were rather primitive.

Sometimes it is also money, like the O Neill rebellion in ireland where Spanish and irish troops outnumberd the English, but were crushed because the English could afford better cavalry saddles for their lancers.

Indeed, I would hate to get into the chicken and the egg argument, but the society both the Mongols and the English created fostered wealth and/or innovation.

i am not so sure about inovation.

the khans of the golden horde remaind nomadic, merely blackmailing the russian and polish nobility into giving them food and gold

but they never developed further, let alone left behind their nomadic life style

and in the end the Russians figured out how to defeat nomadic armies and kcked the khans out

Indeed, and welcome back. The setbacks are sometime more important than the successes. Failure is likewise necessary for advancement. The true question is that does a culture learn from its failures or does it ignore them. Generally, culturally conservative cultures fail because of failure to change to various conflicts and culturally liberal cultures prosper because they are able to change. Do not get this confused, however, with the way we politically think of those terms.
looks like your getting your ass handed to you on this thread as well as the other.

Indeed, and welcome back. The setbacks are sometime more important than the successes. Failure is likewise necessary for advancement. The true question is that does a culture learn from its failures or does it ignore them. Generally, culturally conservative cultures fail because of failure to change to various conflicts and culturally liberal cultures prosper because they are able to change. Do not get this confused, however, with the way we politically think of those terms.
looks like your getting your ass handed to you on this thread as well as the other.

I am? Where? Are you finally going to defend your argument?

Better tech - less risk.

Not always.

i am not so sure about inovation.

the khans of the golden horde remaind nomadic, merely blackmailing the russian and polish nobility into giving them food and gold

but they never developed further, let alone left behind their nomadic life style

and in the end the Russians figured out how to defeat nomadic armies and kcked the khans out

So they could not advance passed their laurels? And this led to their defeat? I often place this into the "culturally conservative" category.

that is not the point

the point is that a nation with e technological advantage has the upper hand on the battlefield.

and not that the battlefield encourages technological advantages.

Technological innovation is not the reason to wage war except for the weak minded. The majority of warmongering is driven by the intention to obtain control, power and wealth. Cases in point are Afghanistan and Iraq. The Afghan war was purely an defensive response to an attack. The Iraq war was a naked attempt to seize control of one of the largest oil producing regions in the world.

I agree with the cultural perspective. Whites have a culture that promotes violence and takeover due to their time spent trapped in the ice age. Resources were scarce and those that were more aggressive survived. Even after being brought back from further devolution during the dark ages they again became overcrowded in Europe. The colonization of the world is an expression of that aggressive and violent behavior. They have somehow convinced the rest of the world that this is a desirable trait.....well at least when they get what they want.

Exhibit A: Entitled white guy upset about perceived lack of resources.

Man killed in Austin after shooting Mexican Consulate - CNN.com

I believed I addressed the underpinnings of colonialism/imperialism in the OP, although, it does not entirely disagree with your statement above. It does, however, place it in context.
You also maintained that other people would have done the same but your assertion is false. Other cultures tend to live in harmony with nature. One of the fundamental truths of this world is that white culture is not harmonious. Those cultures that whites scoff at as primitive do retain that harmony. There will always be some sort of conflict. White people generally take it to another level and for totally different reasons. They also build systems to make themselves feel as if this is normal and something to honor.

I agree with the cultural perspective. Whites have a culture that promotes violence and takeover due to their time spent trapped in the ice age. Resources were scarce and those that were more aggressive survived. Even after being brought back from further devolution during the dark ages they again became overcrowded in Europe. The colonization of the world is an expression of that aggressive and violent behavior. They have somehow convinced the rest of the world that this is a desirable trait.....well at least when they get what they want.

I believed I addressed the underpinnings of colonialism/imperialism in the OP, although, it does not entirely disagree with your statement above. It does, however, place it in context.
You also maintained that other people would have done the same but your assertion is false. Other cultures tend to live in harmony with nature. One of the fundamental truths of this world is that white culture is not harmonious. Those cultures that whites scoff at as primitive do retain that harmony. There will always be some sort of conflict. White people generally take it to another level and for totally different reasons. They also build systems to make themselves feel as if this is normal and something to honor.

This is generally the cultural relativists argument. Where cultural relativism fails, however, is that many cultures generally cannot sustain themselves against other cultures. By comparison, Africans were indeed closer to harmony with nature. However, they could not sustain themselves against invasion from outsiders (Not just white outsiders, but fellow Africans as well). A culture that cannot defend itself is not an advanced culture. We can all enjoy idealism but realism rules the world. Peace and harmony is best left to the songwriters. You sir, are living in the Age of Aquarius. Great song, just not realistic one.

Last edited:

This is generally the cultural relativists argument. Where cultural relativism fails, however, is that they generally cannot sustain themselves against other cultures. By comparison, Africans were indeed closer to harmony with nature. However, they could not sustain themselves against invasion from outsiders (Not just white outsiders, but fellow Africans as well). A culture that cannot defend itself is not an advanced culture. We can all enjoy idealism but realism rules the world.
Indeed one with a belief that a culture that values intelligence over violence, is not advanced is actually proof of my point. Those cultures that attacked or conquered more advanced cultures basically have done what amounts to a degradation of intelligence the world over. Only now are scientists starting to realize the intelligence inherent in the ancient civilizations. Contrary to your belief, white aggression has set the world back probably 1000's of centuries. When you start looking at subjects such as Fractal geometry vs Eulcidean geometry you begin to see the inherent difference in philosophy. Africans and other ancient civilizations used Fractal geometry. The world is just starting to realize how advanced those African civilizations were.

Last edited:

This is generally the cultural relativists argument. Where cultural relativism fails, however, is that they generally cannot sustain themselves against other cultures. By comparison, Africans were indeed closer to harmony with nature. However, they could not sustain themselves against invasion from outsiders (Not just white outsiders, but fellow Africans as well). A culture that cannot defend itself is not an advanced culture. We can all enjoy idealism but realism rules the world.

Indeed one with a belief that a culture that values intelligence over violence is not advanced is actually proof of my point. Those cultures that were overcome by more aggressive cultures basically have done what amounts to a degradation of intelligence the world over. Only now are scientists starting to realize the intelligence inherent in the ancient civilizations. Contrary to your belief, white aggression has set the world back probably 1000's of centuries. When you start looking at subjects such as Fractal geometry vs Eulcidean geometry. Africans and other ancient civilizations used Fractal geometry. The world is just starting to realize how advanced those African civilizations were.

You are correct that much more scholarship needs to be done in order to fairly assess the various civilizations of Africa. But intelligence over violence? A condition for intelligence is the ability to defend yourself. Without that innovation cannot prosper. I might also include that the various innovations brought forth through conflict have had profound cross applications into the advancement of civilian life. Indeed, without competition and conflict innovation is more often than not retarded. Now this is not to say that some African cultures were not advanced for their day, however, they were also out paced by others which is why Africa is among the least advanced continents today.

Without the ability to defend your culture you are not an advanced culture; but one that lives and dies to the benevolence of others. Intelligent cultures therefore seek to defend themselves. Can you name a single culture that did not seek to defend itself? Many of the African cultures you allude to were very violent. they could not later achieve violence, however, to the scale of other cultures because they were later less advanced. Once again, a culture that cannot defend itself is not an advanced one.

Last edited:

Indeed one with a belief that a culture that values intelligence over violence is not advanced is actually proof of my point. Those cultures that were overcome by more aggressive cultures basically have done what amounts to a degradation of intelligence the world over. Only now are scientists starting to realize the intelligence inherent in the ancient civilizations. Contrary to your belief, white aggression has set the world back probably 1000's of centuries. When you start looking at subjects such as Fractal geometry vs Eulcidean geometry. Africans and other ancient civilizations used Fractal geometry. The world is just starting to realize how advanced those African civilizations were.

You are correct that much more scholarship needs to be done in order to fairly assess the various civilizations of Africa. But intelligence over violence? A condition for intelligence is the ability to defend yourself. Without that innovation cannot prosper. I might also include that the various innovations brought forth through conflict have had profound cross applications into the advancement of civilian life. Indeed, without competition and conflict innovation is more often than not retarded. Now this is not to say that some African cultures were not advanced for their day, however, they were also out paced by others which is why Africa is among the least advanced continents today.

Without the ability to defend your culture you are not an advanced culture; but one that lives and dies to the benevolence of others. Intelligent cultures therefore seek to defend themselves. Can you name a single culture that did not seek to defend itself?

No. Intelligence has nothing to do with defending yourself. Thats why nerds frequently get beat up. What I think you mean is that spending most of your time developing better weapons is a lack of intelligence and sign of insecurity. You dont have time to attend to intellectual pursuits if your time is spent in an insecure state of fear. This is apparent with white cultures. They are preoccupied with the notion someone is going to attack them. Intelligent cultures seek to teach, discover, and improve the human condition.

Without the ability to defend your culture you are not an advanced culture; but one that lives and dies to the benevolence of others. Intelligent cultures therefore seek to defend themselves. Can you name a single culture that did not seek to defend itself?

No. Intelligence has nothing to do with defending yourself. Thats why nerds frequently get beat up. What I think you mean is that spending most of your time developing better weapons is a lack of intelligence. You dont have time to attend to intellectual pursuits if your time is spent in an insecure state of fear. This is apparent with white cultures. They are preoccupied with the notion someone is going to attack them. Intelligent cultures seek to teach, discover, and improve the human condition.

You reject the Hobbesian view that without security and rule of law advancement is retarded? That aside an intelligent culture must be able to defend itself to solidify their gains. What intelligent person could think otherwise? Indeed, the very cultures you spoke of attempted to defend themselves against other Africans. Many were successful. The Mali Empire for example. Intelligent people do not open themselves up for invasion. They work diligently against it. Especially in an area where invasion is the rule rather than the exception. The largest and most advanced African empires expanded by such means.

Last edited:

No. Intelligence has nothing to do with defending yourself. Thats why nerds frequently get beat up. What I think you mean is that spending most of your time developing better weapons is a lack of intelligence. You dont have time to attend to intellectual pursuits if your time is spent in an insecure state of fear. This is apparent with white cultures. They are preoccupied with the notion someone is going to attack them. Intelligent cultures seek to teach, discover, and improve the human condition.

You reject the Hobbesian view that without security and rule of law advancement is retarded? That aside an intelligent culture must be able to defend itself to solidify their gains. What intelligent person could think otherwise? Indeed, the very cultures you spoke of attempted to defend themselves against other Africans. Many were successful. The Mali Empire for example. Intelligent people do not open themselves up for invasion. They work diligently against it.

Yes i reject the view of the white person named Thomas Hobbes. He is merely developing that system I told you white people are famous for in order to glamorize and legitimatize violence. I would expect most whites you would quote to feel this way. I just reject its silliness out of hand. No an intelligent culture only needs to pass on its intelligence as all cultures come to an end or get absorbed and made better. New ideas come in and change perceptions. Advanced societies understand this inherently.

You reject the Hobbesian view that without security and rule of law advancement is retarded? That aside an intelligent culture must be able to defend itself to solidify their gains. What intelligent person could think otherwise? Indeed, the very cultures you spoke of attempted to defend themselves against other Africans. Many were successful. The Mali Empire for example. Intelligent people do not open themselves up for invasion. They work diligently against it.

Yes i reject the view of the white person named Thomas Hobbes. He is merely developing that system I told you white people are famous for in order to glamorize and legitimatize violence. I would expect most whites you would quote to feel this way. I just reject its silliness out of hand. No an intelligent culture only needs to pass on its intelligence as all cultures come to an end or get absorbed and made better. New ideas come in and change perceptions. Advanced societies understand this inherently.

So what advanced African culture did not seek to defend itself? Which advanced major African culture did not invade others? Or any advanced culture for that case.

So what advanced African culture did not seek to defend itself? Which advanced major African culture did not invade others?
There is a difference in a culture attempting to defend itself and being preoccupied to the point you are simply a violent culture. White cultures claim to fame is violence. Everything associated with learning and intelligence comes from other cultures. Once white culture gained world wide control you changed the narrative to hide your lack of intellectual achievement. Your current intellectual achievement stands on the shoulders of giants.

So what advanced African culture did not seek to defend itself? Which advanced major African culture did not invade others?
There is a difference in a culture attempting to defend itself and being preoccupied to the point you are simply a violent culture. White cultures claim to fame is violence. Everything associated with learning and intelligence comes from other cultures. Once white culture gained world wide control you changed the narrative to hide your lack of intellectual achievement. Your current intellectual achievement stands on the shoulders of giants.

All cultures advance in part by the examples set by other cultures. All cultures are influenced by other cultures. Some cultures come out on top. The reason they do is that they were able to win in conflicts against other cultures. Nevertheless, I cannot think of one major relatively advanced African culture that did not aim to expand their empire by means of violence just as the "white man" did. You can? Then who? Give me a specific example of an advanced culture that played by these magically harmonious rules you speak of.

Last edited:

All cultures advance in part by the examples set by other cultures. All cultures are influenced by other cultures. Some cultures come out on top. The reason they do is that they were able to win in conflicts against other cultures. Nevertheless, I cannot think of one major relatively advanced African culture that did not aim to expand their empire by means of violence just as the "white man" did.

You miss the point. The point is that if that was their chief concern they would lack intelligence and would have never become advanced. They would have spent the time devoted to pursuit of intelligence into developing better weaponry. They would have taken advantage of their ability to produce steel and used it create those weapons centuries before Europe did. Those same African cultures would have never developed great intellectual civilizations if they had been insecure cultures built on an inferiority complex. The greatest tenets of intelligence and advancement came from Africa and provided a model for Europe.

What you seem to miss is that Africans from various cultures could have done what whites did. They simple choose not to and instead honored wisdom over violence. They instructed Europe in civilization not once but twice. There may be more instances since you cant really trust history written by white people.

Forum List

Back