Tsa Claims The Constitution Does Not Apply At Airports.... Why?

n0spam4me

VIP Member
Jan 30, 2014
Planet Earth
The fact is that travelers are routinely told that the Constitution has been suspended at airports for security reasons. However what is the foundation of TSA being able to make this assertion? TSA was created in the wake of 9/11/2001, and still, as a citizen around here, I must ask what is the basis for being able to actually suspend the CONSTITUTION in any specific location, such as an airport? Shall we have a discussion on this subject?

can you provide a link from ANYONE inside the government who has declared that the COTUS does not apply at airports? I'll wait...........

can you provide a link from ANYONE inside the government who has declared that the COTUS does not apply at airports? I'll wait...........

If you ever travel by air, ask any of the TSA goons, they will be most happy to tell you that the ordinary rules of search & seizure of property do NOT apply at the airport because they must guarantee the security of the flying public.
also if you have a friend who just happens to be a lawyer, ask them to read the Patriot UNNATURAL Act and tell you about the multiple violations of the CONSTITUTION.

Note that at airports, any traveler who is carrying anything that the TSA officers at the time consider dangerous, will loose that bit of property, unconditionally and without review!

If you ever travel by air, ask any of the TSA goons, they will be most happy to tell you that the ordinary rules of search & seizure of property do NOT apply at the airport because they must guarantee the security of the flying public.
also if you have a friend who just happens to be a lawyer, ask them to read the Patriot UNNATURAL Act and tell you about the multiple violations of the CONSTITUTION.

Note that at airports, any traveler who is carrying anything that the TSA officers at the time consider dangerous, will loose that bit of property, unconditionally and without review!

Incorrect sir.

If you read your airline ticket you will see that purchasing said ticket is giving CONSENT to said search. If you consent, there is no need for a warrant. That's why no one is allowed past the security gate without a ticket. The ticket is your consent.

TSA searches have NOTHING to do with the patriot act sir. NOTHING.

If the TSA starts yanking people off the streets and searching them, THEN you have a beef.

and I suppose some people believe that its a fair trade, that is a bit of loss of freedom & liberty in exchange for security. What if any given airline company decided on their own to allow passengers to board flights without being searched, because said airline has there own anti-hijacking measures in place?
why should BIG BOTHER be allowed to effectively subjugate the traveling public, note that TSA stands for TRANSPORTATION SECURITY not just airline, its only a matter of time before they take over bus terminals and all modes of transportation, that is unless WE THE PEOPLE push back.

BTW: what is the foundational excuse for having TSA in the first place, wouldn't it be interesting if that excuse was proven bogus.....

and I suppose some people believe that its a fair trade, that is a bit of loss of freedom & liberty in exchange for security. What if any given airline company decided on their own to allow passengers to board flights without being searched, because said airline has there own anti-hijacking measures in place?
why should BIG BOTHER be allowed to effectively subjugate the traveling public, note that TSA stands for TRANSPORTATION SECURITY not just airline, its only a matter of time before they take over bus terminals and all modes of transportation, that is unless WE THE PEOPLE push back.

BTW: what is the foundational excuse for having TSA in the first place, wouldn't it be interesting if that excuse was proven bogus.....

Airlines have to be licenses by the FAA, no airport security, no airline.

Beware of any gang of non-elected bureaucrats who can effectively make law at the stroke of a pen and they cloak themselves in the mantle of protector, at any suggestion of removing even some of their power "WHAT, YOU WANT TO BE EXPOSED TO DANGER?"
we protect you..... Right

you also have not addressed the root excuse for having TSA in the fist place, and what would you say if that root excuse proved to be false?

Beware of any gang of non-elected bureaucrats who can effectively make law at the stroke of a pen and they cloak themselves in the mantle of protector, at any suggestion of removing even some of their power "WHAT, YOU WANT TO BE EXPOSED TO DANGER?"
we protect you..... Right

you also have not addressed the root excuse for having TSA in the fist place, and what would you say if that root excuse proved to be false?

The root cause has been building for years and the final tipping point was 911. But I suspect you knew that. If you're going to now go on a rant that 911 was a conspiracy, don't bother.

and I suppose some people believe that its a fair trade, that is a bit of loss of freedom & liberty in exchange for security.
Apparently the people who bought those tickets and signed that agreement, believe exactly that.

Do you have a problem with their free choice?

Why haven't you addressed your concerns to them? Why do you whine about it on a discussion board instead, far from those people?

The fact is that travelers are routinely told that the Constitution has been suspended at airports for security reasons. However what is the foundation of TSA being able to make this assertion? TSA was created in the wake of 9/11/2001, and still, as a citizen around here, I must ask what is the basis for being able to actually suspend the CONSTITUTION in any specific location, such as an airport? Shall we have a discussion on this subject?
What TSA official has stated that the Constitution 'doesn't apply' to the Agency?

What TSA official has stated that the Agency has 'suspended' the Constitution?

Current 4th Amendment jurisprudence does not address the activities of the TSA, no court has ruled as to the Constitutionality of the TSA's policies, however there are challenges pending.

There are in essence three elements to a 4th Amendment review of the Agency's practices:

Reasonable suspicion pursuant to a search

Reasonable expectation of privacy

A compelling governmental interest in conducting the searches where 4th Amendment protections do not apply

It can be argued, for example, that there is no reasonable expectation of privacy in an airport, that electing to fly constitutes consent to be searched, and that the government's interest in preventing an act of terror justifies the searches, where no 4th Amendment violation has occurred.

But this misses an important point:

Citizens shouldn't be concerning themselves with court challenges. The people themselves have the authority through the political process to compel their elected representatives in Congress to end the searches, or do away with the TSA altogether.

That this hasn't occurred would indicate the people approve of the TSA and its policies and want measures taken to prevent terrorist attacks.

Consequently your issue isn't with the TSA and how it functions in the context of the Constitution and its case law, but with your fellow Americans who are willing to allow the TSA to continue its searches.

take a bus instead

take a bus instead

and when the TRANSPORTATION SECURITY AGENCY starts molesting travelers at bus terminals? Then what?
WE THE PEOPLE are getting screwed. The fact is that the regime of any tyrant starts out with declaring an emergency so as to require special powers, get the people to trade off a bit of their freedom for a bit of "security" and it progresses from there, a malignancy that will not stop until AMERICA is history......

You offer a consent to search at airports

You are welcome to use other transportation

Really, TSA declares Airports "Constitution Free" Zones.
The people should rally and declare the US a "TSA Free" Zone.
Time to reign in TSA, their egos are writing checks their Mission Statement can't cover.

There are in essence three elements to a 4th Amendment review of the Agency's practices:

A compelling governmental interest in conducting the searches where 4th Amendment protections do not apply

To this end, please provide proof beyond a reasonable doubt, that suicidal hijackers used commercial airliners as weapons on 9/11/2001...... where is the PROOF?
Because if it can not be proven, then the whole 9/11/2001 airliner fiasco falls apart and with that the foundation for having TSA at all. NOW DO YOU GET IT?

To this end, please provide proof beyond a reasonable doubt, that suicidal hijackers used commercial airliners as weapons on 9/11/2001...... where is the PROOF?
Because if it can not be proven, then the whole 9/11/2001 airliner fiasco falls apart and with that the foundation for having TSA at all. NOW DO YOU GET IT?

There you have it.....Truther!

Bull shhhhh er, crap. :)

Can't suspend the Constitution. Can say you have taking advantage of hurried travellers.

TSA: they won't let me board with a screwdriver but I can be sitting next to someone infected with a Level IV Slate Cleaning pathogen.

Yeah, makes perfect sense

Forum List

Back