Trump under fire over Pardons?

SavannahMann

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 2016
First let me post the link so we know what we are talking about.

Second. Let me post the applicable portion of the Constitution.

The President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States, when called into the actual Service of the United States; he may require the Opinion, in writing, of the principal Officer in each of the executive Departments, upon any Subject relating to the Duties of their respective Offices, and he shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offences against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment.

Now to my opinion. The article states that the Pardon of one fellow by President Trump at the end of his term caused a big problem for an investigation into predatory lending. Questions are being raised. And so here is what I think. I don’t care.

Many times I’ve said I always side with the Constitution. And in this case the Pardon is absolutely valid. The President has absolute and unilateral power to pardon for federal crimes. He doesn’t need to do anything but sign the paper. Nobody gets to approve it. Nobody can try and stop it.

This is whining by the people. Claiming that it ended an investigation into predatory lending. Nonsense. Once pardoned the individual can not claim the Fifth Amendment. He can’t be prosecuted for the crimes, so testimony is mandatory. The bad guy has to cooperate with the investigators.

Now in the case of the Pardon in question. The one for Braun. The Prosecutors wanted to use his prison time for the Marijuana conviction as leverage for testimony for other criminal investigations. That leverage was lost.

And my answer is oh well. The President has absolute Constitutional power to issue pardons and that is that.

On this one don’t look to me to join the anti-trump folks. Oh don’t get me wrong. I would rather slam my dick in a sliding glass door than vote for him ever again. But I’m not going to pretend that this is more evidence that Trump is awful.

Just wait till he pardons all the J-6 protestors. ;)

I would not be so sure that he would actually do that.

First he has offered no assistance in their defense to date. And second. Trump almost never follows through on his promises. As one example. Where is that detailed and comprehensive report on the stolen election? Hasn’t Trump promised to release that a couple dozen times?

The President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States, when called into the actual Service of the United States; he may require the Opinion, in writing, of the principal Officer in each of the executive Departments, upon any Subject relating to the Duties of their respective Offices, and he shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offences against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment.

Now to my opinion. The article states that the Pardon of one fellow by President Trump at the end of his term caused a big problem for an investigation into predatory lending. Questions are being raised. And so here is what I think. I don’t care.

Many times I’ve said I always side with the Constitution. And in this case the Pardon is absolutely valid. The President has absolute and unilateral power to pardon for federal crimes. He doesn’t need to do anything but sign the paper. Nobody gets to approve it. Nobody can try and stop it.

This is whining by the people. Claiming that it ended an investigation into predatory lending. Nonsense. Once pardoned the individual can not claim the Fifth Amendment. He can’t be prosecuted for the crimes, so testimony is mandatory. The bad guy has to cooperate with the investigators.

Now in the case of the Pardon in question. The one for Braun. The Prosecutors wanted to use his prison time for the Marijuana conviction as leverage for testimony for other criminal investigations. That leverage was lost.

And my answer is oh well. The President has absolute Constitutional power to issue pardons and that is that.

On this one don’t look to me to join the anti-trump folks. Oh don’t get me wrong. I would rather slam my dick in a sliding glass door than vote for him ever again. But I’m not going to pretend that this is more evidence that Trump is awful.
This isn't evidence of tRump being "awful", it's evidence of him being easily manipulated.

I would love to see a full list of all of the terrorists that Obama and Clinton pardoned before they left orifice.

I would not be so sure that he would actually do that.

First he has offered no assistance in their defense to date. And second. Trump almost never follows through on his promises. As one example. Where is that detailed and comprehensive report on the stolen election? Hasn’t Trump promised to release that a couple dozen times?

I think it will depend on the make-up of congress. If the House stays in GOP hands I see him doing it.

Pardons and reprieves are an absolute power of the Presidency and serve as a check on the Federal Courts. It is not that uncommon for Presidents to pardon controversial people on the way out the door.

Just wait till he pardons all the J-6 protestors. ;)
With reparations. Imagine the shitlib suicide rate when each of those persecuted patriots get $2-$5 Million for egregious violations of the constitution.

I'll be loading up on CLX stock, the manufacturer of LiquidPlumr... :cool:

Forum List

Back