Trump still wants to repeal the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare)

You don't have to be enrolled in coverage created by the ACA to benefit from it (though obviously that coverage was a game-changer for tens of millions of people). Everybody benefits from the slower health care cost growth after the ACA passed, or better care delivery, or a more sustainable federal budget.
I recall when Americans had no health care covered. And how reasonable doctors bills were. Suddenly up comes insurance and guess what? Doctors and hospital bills grew fast.

Unintended consequences happened.

I recall when Americans had no health care covered. And how reasonable doctors bills were. Suddenly up comes insurance and guess what? Doctors and hospital bills grew fast.

Yea… life was so much simpler in the 1850s geezer

I suspect even today you'd find the cost of a 1920s standard of care quite reasonable. If you're willing to give up using the infrastructure and medical advances (er, the "unintended consequences") that the last century of health spending financed, you won't have to worry too much about costs.

I suspect even today you'd find the cost of a 1920s standard of care quite reasonable. If you're willing to give up using the infrastructure and medical advances (er, the "unintended consequences") that the last century of health spending financed, you won't have to worry too much about costs.
Try 1970s, jackass. Insurance has been the principle driver of health care price inflation since then. Not improvements to health care. In every other industry not plagued buy insurance as the the principle financing mechanism, technological improvements bring prices down.

Try 1970s, jackass. Insurance has been the principle driver of health care price inflation since then. Not improvements to health care. In every other industry not plagued buy insurance as the the principle financing mechanism, technological improvements bring prices down.

"I recall when Americans had no health care covered" is not a recollection of the 1970s. You have to go back about a century.

"I recall when Americans had no health care covered" is not a recollection of the 1970s. You have to go back about a century.
You've been shilling for the health insurance industry on these boards since ACA was introduced. I have no patience for your propaganda. Find another target.

You've been shilling for the health insurance industry on these boards since ACA was introduced. I have no patience for your propaganda. Find another target.

"People had insurance before the '70s" is not propaganda. It's history. Reality is, in the ACA era we've seen the lowest medical inflation ever and the highest coverage levels ever. What a time.

"People had insurance before the '70s" is not propaganda. It's history. Reality is, in the ACA era we've seen the lowest medical inflation ever and the highest coverage levels ever. What a time.
Reality is, ACA was a sellout to the insurance industry.

Last edited:

And these don't even touch how much they've raked in over the pandemic.

The costs for medical expenses remained fair and reasonable into the 1950s. I went to a hospital several days back and still do not know why I passed out. This despite my costs for care being very small in fact. Most can afford the $30 fee for the care I got. I am able to afford it.

The costs for medical expenses remained fair and reasonable into the 1950s. I went to a hospital several days back and still do not know why I passed out. This despite my costs for care being very small in fact. Most can afford the $30 fee for the care I got. I am able to afford it.
Group insurance (where individual policy holders aren't held accountable for their usage) breaks the crucial connection between a consumer's health care spending decisions and downward price pressure. Patients who are "covered" have little to no incentive to seek bargains in their health care spending. Arguably, they have the opposite incentive - if you're covered, why not choose the most expensive option at every decision point? This can't not drive health care prices higher and higher.

Eventually, this dynamic pushed us to a point where there are effectively only two types of health care consumers: those who are covered, and don't care what their health care costs, because they're not paying for it, and those who couldn't possible afford health care without help from others, and don't care what their health care costs because they're not paying for it. With that, you can't really avoid spiraling health care prices.

Last edited:
Insurance for tens of millions of people, and pre-existing condition guarantees, could be in jeopardy if the former president wins the 2024 election.

Donald Trump says he is still interested in repealing the Affordable Care Act, which means health care for tens of millions of people would be in jeopardy if he becomes president again next year.

Trump said Saturday on his website Truth Social that he was “looking at alternatives” to the 2010 health care law, also known as “Obamacare,” which has reduced the number of Americans without health insurance to historic lows and established basic guarantees of coverage for all Americans regardless of pre-existing conditions.

The vow echoes promises that Trump made as a first-time candidate and as president, when he and Republican leaders in Congress made repeal a top legislative priority.

That effort failed. It also proved spectacularly unpopular, fueling a backlash that eventually helped Democrats win back the House, the Senate and the White House. President Joe Biden, long a vocal supporter of the ACA, has since worked with Democrats to bolster the law.

Much more that the link below...

Trump Still Seems Set On Repealing A Law That Most Americans Like

Obamacare isn't perfect, but it has helped many Americans. In other words, the ACA hasn’t fixed American health care, but it’s helped a lot of people. What do you think?
trump said he would replace it with something better when he was president but never did. It involves a lot of work and trump is essentially a very lazy person.

trump said he would replace it with something better when he was president but never did. It involves a lot of work and trump is essentially a very lazy person.
In Trump's defense, it also requires a willing Congress. And his own party showed little interest in repealing ACA.

Trump said he is "looking at alternatives". Well, he had FOUR YEARS to "look at alternative" - and he came up with NOTHING.

In an error-ridden post on Truth Social, the former president claimed that he wasn’t trying to repeal the Affordable Care Act despite vowing to do so publicly and repeatedly over the years. Instead, he insisted he wants to “MAKE THE ACA MUCH, MUCH, MUCH BETTER FOR FAR LESS MONEY (OR COST) TO OUR GREST AMERICAN CITIZENS.”

In Trump's defense, it also requires a willing Congress. And his own party showed little interest in repealing ACA.
Because it's awesome.

So is this

So why are 14 red states not taking the money to help poor people?

Forum List

Back