Treated Like Trash. South East Asia vows to return mountains of rubbish to the West.

123 views of this thread...........and only a couple posting in it.

Imagine that.............

tenor.gif
Perhaps there isn't much to say on it all.

Where was all this trash being manufactured would be my first question. I also like the idea that is it was made in your country when it it no longer useful your country will be responsible for it. I do not think plastic bottles for soft drinks and bottled water is an improvement over glass bottles.

As for just burying all this trash regardless of what it is. Bad idea.

Zhang Yin (entrepreneur) - Wikipedia

Part of the problem with recycling cost is the insurance, and environmental factors. Certain pollution for air quality, water in ground and under ground, etc. are all factors one would have to take into consideration if one is going to do it properly. Cheap products from foreign countries flooding in have a lot of Cadmium, Lead and other materials that create long term problems. This is where leftist have it right when they say capitalism is an evil. The evil of it is if the capitalist is not held fully responsible for the end results of the product it is pushing.

tenor.gif

Where was all this trash being manufactured would be my first question. I also like the idea that is it was made in your country when it it no longer useful your country will be responsible for it. I do not think plastic bottles for soft drinks and bottled water is an improvement over glass bottles.

Part of the problem with recycling cost is the insurance, and environmental factors. Certain pollution for air quality, water in ground and under ground, etc. are all factors one would have to take into consideration if one is going to do it properly. Cheap products from foreign countries flooding in have a lot of Cadmium, Lead and other materials that create long term problems. This is where leftist have it right when they say capitalism is an evil. The evil of it is if the capitalist is not held fully responsible for the end results of the product it is pushing.
I liked it when we used bottles........I think it tasted better.......used to make a little money as a kid getting the refunds off the bottles......

We can recycle this stuff.......but it's expensive.......ignoring it does nothing.

My problem with the left is them GOING IT'S GREAT.........and ignoring how we are getting this Green energy.........then they SAY RECYCLE.........and the people go this is GOOD.........not knowing that they are hardly RECYCLING ANYTHING.

It has gotten so bad in China that they are dumping it into the oceans.

tenor.gif

I liked it when we used bottles........I think it tasted better.......used to make a little money as a kid getting the refunds off the bottles......

We can recycle this stuff.......but it's expensive.......ignoring it does nothing.

My problem with the left is them GOING IT'S GREAT.........and ignoring how we are getting this Green energy.........then they SAY RECYCLE.........and the people go this is GOOD.........not knowing that they are hardly RECYCLING ANYTHING.

This is why I took the Paris Climate Accord soooooo seriously

We need you libs to show us how it is done......destroy your cars, no water bottles, no hamburgers...SHOW US how important it is

tenor.gif

We need you libs to show us how it is done......destroy your cars, no water bottles, no hamburgers...SHOW US how important it is
I'm not a lib dummy..............I'm pointing out the HYPOCRISY of the left here........

And I'm not in favor of the Paris Accord..........

Exposing the issues of world waste makes me a lib........lol

:abgg2q.jpg:

The Western Nations have been using South East Asia as the dumping ground for waste for Decades. China stopped accepting plastic in 2017. South East Asia has had enough. And now we have a problem of where to send our trash.

Treated like trash: south-east Asia vows to return mountains of rubbish from west

Region begins pushback against deluge of plastic and electronic waste from UK, US and Australia

For the past year, the waste of the world has been gathering on the shores of south-east Asia. Crates of unwanted rubbish from the west have accumulated in the ports of the Philippines, Indonesia and Vietnam while vast toxic wastelands of plastics imported from Europe and the US have built up across Malaysia.

But not for much longer it seems. A pushback is beginning, as nations across south-east Asia vow to send the garbage back to where it came from.

Last week the president of the Philippines, Rodrigo Duterte, threatened to sever diplomatic ties with Canada if the government did not agree to take back 69 containers containing 1,500 tonnes of waste that had been exported to the Philippines in 2013 and 2014.

Canada had refused to even acknowledge the issue for years but as the dispute escalated, Duterte declared that if the government did not act quickly, the Philippines would tow the rubbish to Canadian waters and dump it there.

“The Philippines as an independent sovereign nation must not be treated as trash by a foreign nation,” said presidential spokesman Salvador Panelo.

The rhetoric was symptomatic of a wider regional pushback that began last year when Thailand, Malaysia and Vietnam all introduced legislation to prevent contaminated foreign waste coming into their ports.

On 23 April a Malaysian government investigation revealed that waste from the UK, Australia, United States and Germany was pouring into the country illegally, falsely declared as other imports.

Enough was enough, said Yeo Bee Yin, the environment minister. “Malaysia will not be the dumping ground of the world. We will send back [the waste] to the original countries.”

Satisfaction guaranteed or double your garbage back?

tenor.gif

I'm not a lib dummy..............I'm pointing out the HYPOCRISY of the left here........

I believe we should make all of our prisons recycling facilities and make park benches and all other useful things. At 17 cents an hour we could turn a profit.

tenor.gif

I believe we should make all of our prisons recycling facilities and make park benches and all other useful things. At 17 cents an hour we could turn a profit.
Well enjoy your stay in the Far East then.........one word of advise......Bring your own water.

Well enjoy your stay in the Far East then.........one word of advise......Bring your own water.
Since 1992. I have recycled every shred of anything that can be recycled. Every piece of glass, metal, and plastic for 30 years including my office. I recycled before it was a definition in the dictionary.

What happens to it after I have no control over

Since 1992. I have recycled every shred of anything that can be recycled. Every piece of glass, metal, and plastic for 30 years including my office. I recycled before it was a definition in the dictionary.

It is sent to the Far East.......LOL

Then you've largely been wasting your time and effort, only a small fraction (less than 10%) of the plastic that gets sent for "recycling" can actually be recycled, the rest of it cannot be recycled due to the composition of the plastic and just ends up in landfills or dumped into bodies of water.

It's not a problem with simple solutions, in other words just putting stuff into a bin marked "recycle" isn't going to even come close to resolving it.

This site and others like it raise the awareness of what is really happening in the world. The Truth isn't always pretty. I just checked that 233 views of this thread.........Hopefully it raises awareness of what is going on an is a prime purpose of these threads......

The Truth is what we seek. That is appropriate.

tenor.gif

I like the idea of true criminals having something that they can do to help pay for their incarceration.

I like the idea of true criminals having something that they can do to help pay for their incarceration.
We need to turn every prison facility to Green Energy Centers where everything from litter pick up to recycled plastic and metal molding.

Totally voluntary.

Option A. Work hard doing your time and enjoy tasty meals, snacks, and comfortable living situations.

Option B. Refuse and you'll live across the street in conditions Oliver Twist would feel harsh.

I'm not against Recycling using prison labor to help pay for the prisons and solve a problem.

I'm not against Recycling using prison labor to help pay for the prisons and solve a problem.

It won't help solve the problem because the problem isn't a shortage of labor in plastics recycling.

The problem is that the vast majority of plastics CANNOT BE RECYCLED, they're SINGLE USE the only thing that can be done with them as of right now is to dump them someplace or burn them, neither of which is a good option.

Solving the root cause of the problem requires rethinking the entire system of plastics manufacturing and consumption.

The Western Nations have been using South East Asia as the dumping ground for waste for Decades. China stopped accepting plastic in 2017. South East Asia has had enough. And now we have a problem of where to send our trash.

Treated like trash: south-east Asia vows to return mountains of rubbish from west

Region begins pushback against deluge of plastic and electronic waste from UK, US and Australia

For the past year, the waste of the world has been gathering on the shores of south-east Asia. Crates of unwanted rubbish from the west have accumulated in the ports of the Philippines, Indonesia and Vietnam while vast toxic wastelands of plastics imported from Europe and the US have built up across Malaysia.

But not for much longer it seems. A pushback is beginning, as nations across south-east Asia vow to send the garbage back to where it came from.

Last week the president of the Philippines, Rodrigo Duterte, threatened to sever diplomatic ties with Canada if the government did not agree to take back 69 containers containing 1,500 tonnes of waste that had been exported to the Philippines in 2013 and 2014.

Canada had refused to even acknowledge the issue for years but as the dispute escalated, Duterte declared that if the government did not act quickly, the Philippines would tow the rubbish to Canadian waters and dump it there.

“The Philippines as an independent sovereign nation must not be treated as trash by a foreign nation,” said presidential spokesman Salvador Panelo.

The rhetoric was symptomatic of a wider regional pushback that began last year when Thailand, Malaysia and Vietnam all introduced legislation to prevent contaminated foreign waste coming into their ports.

On 23 April a Malaysian government investigation revealed that waste from the UK, Australia, United States and Germany was pouring into the country illegally, falsely declared as other imports.

Enough was enough, said Yeo Bee Yin, the environment minister. “Malaysia will not be the dumping ground of the world. We will send back [the waste] to the original countries.”
How did Canada force the Philippines to take the plastic in 2013-2014 against its will?

It won't help solve the problem because the problem isn't a shortage of labor in plastics recycling.

The problem is that the vast majority of plastics CANNOT BE RECYCLED, they're SINGLE USE the only thing that can be done with them as of right now is to dump them someplace or burn them, neither of which is a good option.

Solving the root cause of the problem requires rethinking the entire system of plastics manufacturing and consumption.
Find a way to limit emissions with Scrubber and Ionization filter tech to incinerate it then...........or go back to paper.......We used paper back in the day........wasn't a problem........

But then the Green machine said you are killing the forests.......we must save the planet........so the industry said fine......we go to cheap plastic bags.......and so on............

Forum List

Back