To USMB- The ignore feature

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2011
Opposing Authoritarian Ideological Fundamentalism.

Two suggestions: Can this site be revised a little so that...

(1) if you have someone on ignore you don't see their posts when you're quoting someone else? I could have sworn it was like that here for a while when the format changed a while back.

And/or (2) you can make it so that someone you have on ignore can't see your posts either?

If I don't want to communicate with someone, it would be nice to be able to end it completely. Having someone continue to post directly to you even though they know you have them on ignore is a little creepy.

Thanks!

I don't understand why it is so hard for some posters to just scroll past what they don't want to read.

If I don't want to communicate with someone, it would be nice to be able to end it completely. Having someone continue to post directly to you even though they know you have them on ignore is a little creepy.

Why?

Just ignore it.

I don't understand why it is so hard for some posters to just scroll past what they don't want to read.

Why?

Just ignore it.
Because you still have to scroll past their idiotic word walls of crap. It's better when they are just *poof* removed from sight.

All the people I have on ignore don't show up at all, in thread starts, thread content, nor in quotes. If they're posting to Me, well I find that funny. The frustration of them not getting a reply back must be killing them.

I like it. hehe

All the people I have on ignore don't show up at all, in thread starts, thread content, nor in quotes. If they're posting to Me, well I find that funny. The frustration of them not getting a reply back must be killing them.

I like it. hehe
I'm trying to remember how I would have dealt with this kind of thing back in grade school, but it's been too damn long!

:laugh:

(1) if you have someone on ignore you don't see their posts when you're quoting someone else? I could have sworn it was like that here for a while when the format changed a while back.

And/or (2) you can make it so that someone you have on ignore can't see your posts either?

Thanks!

Pretty sure knowingly posting to someone you know has you on ignore is against a Rule.

Why?

Just ignore it.
Because you still have to scroll past their idiotic word walls of crap. It's better when they are just *poof* removed from sight.

Which is exactly what happens if one ignores them.

No one forces us to read posts and if you don't read them, they don't exist. Or at least, that's how it works for me.

YMMV

Why?

Just ignore it.

No one forces us to read posts and if you don't read them, they don't exist. Or at least, that's how it works for me.

YMMV
If all the crap posters are on ignore you don't see their posts at all. No weeding through pages of junk posts to get to one you do actually want to read. Less clutter = good.

I have a bunch of people on ignore who are obsessed with what I post. If I happen to see one of their posts in a quoted response it makes me chuckle.

Like is too short to waste on mental midgets and consigning them to Cyberia works just fine for me the way it is now.

I never had anyone ignore.... but in the last few years I've lost count how many I have on ignore

I never had anyone ignore.... but in the last few years I've lost count how many I have on ignore
Same here ...until being a troll turned into a badge of honor for half the board. Life us too short and all that.

Why?

Just ignore it.

YMMV
If all the crap posters are on ignore you don't see their posts at all. No weeding through pages of junk posts to get to one you do actually want to read. Less clutter = good.

I understand that point of view because most threads fall apart pretty quickly here. The garbage - racism, hate, foul language - is why I don't post much here and if its a thread I'm interested in, I usually bail when the childish name calling begins.

But I don't have any problem ignoring those I don't care to read and no way would I let them own me to the extent that I considered their posts to me "creepy".

Why?

Just ignore it.

YMMV

I understand that point of view because most threads fall apart pretty quickly here. The garbage - racism, hate, foul language - is why I don't post much here and if its a thread I'm interested in, I usually bail when the childish name calling begins.

But I don't have any problem ignoring those I don't care to read and no way would I let them own me to the extent that I considered their posts to me "creepy".
I don't find them creepy. Just a waste of time. But.. Yeah... I agree with you otherwise.

I'm trying to remember how I would have dealt with this kind of thing back in grade school, but it's been too damn long!

You are in luck.

Based upon the quality of the political acumen of so many posters here, it shouldn't be too difficult to seek advice from those who are still in it.

You are in luck.

Based upon the quality of the political acumen of so many posters here, it shouldn't be too difficult to seek advice from those who are still in it.
Understatement of the year :)

And just think... most of them are approaching retirement age or are already there. Doesn't give me much hope for our actual youth.

Thanks!

Pretty sure knowingly posting to someone you know has you on ignore is against a Rule.
Responding to any posting on the board, regardless whether you have someone on ignore or that person has you on ignore, is allowed. What is not allowed is tagging a person who has you on ignore in any posting, for as long as that person has you on ignore , writing on his or her wall or convoing with a person who has you on ignore.

:thup:

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9515 mit Tapatalk

Mac,

Not having the trouble you're mentioning. The members I have on ignore are invisible.

While we're talking about the ignore function, how's this for an idea:

When a set number of members have the same member on ignore, say 10, 25 or whatever, it triggers an intervention from the Mods. Perhaps when this threshold is met, it's time for that offending member to get a polite nudge from the Mods to become more civil, reply with meaningful content, or whatever it is that causes so many members to place the offending member on ignore. Perhaps a week in a penalty box where he/she can read only could serve as a cooling off time for the offending member to contemplate mending his/her ways.

Over the long run, it may help to make this board more civil and discussions more informative. I'd like to clear my ignore list if the members there would stop being uncivil, repetitive, non contributing, immature and predictable. I'd like to hear as many perspectives on a subject as possible from the largest group of members.

Sorry Mac, not trying to hijack your thread.

Cheers.

Mac,

Not having the trouble you're mentioning. The members I have on ignore are invisible.

While we're talking about the ignore function, how's this for an idea:

When a set number of members have the same member on ignore, say 10, 25 or whatever, it triggers an intervention from the Mods. Perhaps when this threshold is met, it's time for that offending member to get a polite nudge from the Mods to become more civil, reply with meaningful content, or whatever it is that causes so many members to place the offending member on ignore. Perhaps a week in a penalty box where he/she can read only could serve as a cooling off time for the offending member to contemplate mending his/her ways.

Over the long run, it may help to make this board more civil and discussions more informative. I'd like to clear my ignore list if the members there would stop being uncivil, repetitive, non contributing, immature and predictable. I'd like to hear as many perspectives on a subject as possible from the largest group of members.

Sorry Mac, not trying to hijack your thread.

Cheers.
No problem, good stuff.

I'd sure like to see all the personal insults and name-calling reduced.

Forum List

Back