To undercut Iran, Russians pressure Assad to cut Syria’s longtime ties to Hezbollah

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
ISTANBUL — The Lebanese Shiite militia Hezbollah and the Syrian government have enjoyed a close, fruitful relationship for nearly 40 years. But six years into the Syrian civil war, there are signs that battle fatigue and diverging strategic visions are fraying their alliance.

Syrian President Bashar Assad is coming under increasing pressure from pro-Russian factions in his ruling circle to dump pro-Iranian Hezbollah, as a U.S.-Russia accord to establish a de-escalation zone in southern Syria gets underway this week.

It’s a different kind of proxy war playing out in Syria: Instead of Sunni versus Shiite, or the U.S. versus Russia, it’s Russia versus Iran.

“There is a pro-Moscow faction that wants Syria to be secular and includes officers who trained in Russia,” said Ayman Abdel Nour, publisher of the largest anti-Assad Syrian news portal and leader of the country’s exiled Christian community based in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. “Those who support Iran are people bought by the Iranians or [who] reached their positions of power with Iranian help.”

Incidents of rivalry and strain between Hezbollah forces and Syrian government allies have been increasing since June 2016, when they openly clashed during what was supposed to be a joint operation in the Aleppo countryside.

“The Hezbollah message has been: ‘Don’t think you can make a deal without us. We are on the ground, and we control what’s going on,’” said Ahmad Hardan, a 20-year-old ambulance driver from Aleppo detained by Lebanese Shiite fighters as he and his family fled their home.

“They took all the young men from the cars and drove us to the opposite side of the road. All those who tried to resist were killed,” Mr. Hardan said. “But suddenly there were Russian fighter jets in the sky, the Hezbollah troops started shooting in the air, and then they let the evacuation proceed.”
Russia pressures Bashar Assad to cut Syria’s Hezbollah alliance

How unfortunate.

ISTANBUL — The Lebanese Shiite militia Hezbollah and the Syrian government have enjoyed a close, fruitful relationship for nearly 40 years. But six years into the Syrian civil war, there are signs that battle fatigue and diverging strategic visions are fraying their alliance.

Syrian President Bashar Assad is coming under increasing pressure from pro-Russian factions in his ruling circle to dump pro-Iranian Hezbollah, as a U.S.-Russia accord to establish a de-escalation zone in southern Syria gets underway this week.

It’s a different kind of proxy war playing out in Syria: Instead of Sunni versus Shiite, or the U.S. versus Russia, it’s Russia versus Iran.

“There is a pro-Moscow faction that wants Syria to be secular and includes officers who trained in Russia,” said Ayman Abdel Nour, publisher of the largest anti-Assad Syrian news portal and leader of the country’s exiled Christian community based in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. “Those who support Iran are people bought by the Iranians or [who] reached their positions of power with Iranian help.”

Incidents of rivalry and strain between Hezbollah forces and Syrian government allies have been increasing since June 2016, when they openly clashed during what was supposed to be a joint operation in the Aleppo countryside.

“The Hezbollah message has been: ‘Don’t think you can make a deal without us. We are on the ground, and we control what’s going on,’” said Ahmad Hardan, a 20-year-old ambulance driver from Aleppo detained by Lebanese Shiite fighters as he and his family fled their home.

“They took all the young men from the cars and drove us to the opposite side of the road. All those who tried to resist were killed,” Mr. Hardan said. “But suddenly there were Russian fighter jets in the sky, the Hezbollah troops started shooting in the air, and then they let the evacuation proceed.”

How unfortunate.
Hezbollah is not 40 years old, not even nearly, and Syria won´t cut ties with Hezbollah and will always be secular. The whole story is probably fake news. Hezbollah and militias brought to Syria by Iran denied clashes, anyway. It is the typical mainstream disinformation.

How unfortunate.
Hezbollah is not 40 years old, not even nearly, and Syria won´t cut ties with Hezbollah and will always be secular. The whole story is probably fake news. Hezbollah and militias brought to Syria by Iran denied clashes, anyway. It is the typical mainstream disinformation.

I'd like it to be truish so what is your take? Just Assad saying one thing and then doing another..sorta like normal?

Greg

Assad has never had any use for the growth of Hezbollah. It is from a paper in the states. I don't expect them to have or care too much about the details of that relationship.

Hmmmm..I've read somewhere that there is strain between Hez and Assad because Hez basically wants to stay wherever they're in control in Syria. I've not been following it that much but the old adage.."no honour among thieves"..springs to mind.

Greg

I've read the same. They are moving in and that is an issue. Even before the Syrian war there was no real "special" relationship. Assad had no use for anyone else gaining power in Lebanon and to think otherwise is a bit absurd.

I've read the same. They are moving in and that is an issue. Even before the Syrian war there was no real "special" relationship. Assad had no use for anyone else gaining power in Lebanon and to think otherwise is a bit absurd.

Do you think maybe that Hez were seen by Assad as sorta useful idiots who he could remove easily /would go home once they did some of his dirty work?

Greg

How unfortunate.

I'd like it to be truish so what is your take? Just Assad saying one thing and then doing another..sorta like normal?

Greg
Hezbollah fights in Syria against terrorist since years. Syria simply can´t turn its back on them without losing honor. It is all because Israel wants to escalate the war. Syria will not abandon Hezbollah.

Amidror, the former head of Israel’s National Security Council just said that "Israel will not allow the Iranians and Hezbollah be the forces that will win the very brutal war in Syria" which indicates that Israel is on the side of al-Qaeda and ISIS.
Russia advised Israel to get used to the situation in Syria.

"“Israel’s motives are not concealed: it fears the strengthening of Iran’s position in the region, and also, it appears, limited possibilities for Tel Aviv itself to act against [Syrian President Bashar al-Assad]. However, nobody will be revoking such an important document that gives hopes for a breakthrough in the Syrian situation only because of Israel’s guesses about Iran’s hypothetical intentions,” the chairman of the Federation Council’s committee for international affairs Konstantin Kosachev posted on Facebook.

“That is why, it would be more reasonable for Tel Aviv not to come down on the already reached agreement between Russia and the US, but instead find ways how to live with this and reap benefits from victory over Islamic State (a terrorist group outlawed in Russia) which are clear for all countries of the region,” Kosachev said."

Israel may need to attack Iranian and Hezbollah bases in Syria: Former NSC chief
Russian diplomat fires back at Israel's disapproval of Syrian ceasefire

Do you think maybe that Hez were seen by Assad as sorta useful idiots who he could remove easily /would go home once they did some of his dirty work?

Greg

I don't think so. I think Assad has always been aware they are dangerous element to the mix and I don't think that he requested help from Hezbollah. Hezbollah decided to drag Lebanon into this mess. That said, Hezbollah has always been useful idiots for Iran, Russia and the UN. I have always thought Nasrallah was a self serving jack ass. He talks a lot but he sends children out to do his dirty work. Everybody around him is expendable but not him. He is too important for the Revolutionary work like operating as an activist group Green Without Borders.

Greg

I don't think so. I think Assad has always been aware they are dangerous element to the mix and I don't think that he requested help from Hezbollah. Hezbollah decided to drag Lebanon into this mess. That said, Hezbollah has always been useful idiots for Iran, Russia and the UN. I have always thought Nasrallah was a self serving jack ass. He talks a lot but he sends children out to do his dirty work. Everybody around him is expendable but not him. He is too important for the Revolutionary work like operating as an activist group Green Without Borders.
Hezbollah is a reasonable party and knows that a terrorist victory in Syria would be the end of Lebanon as well. Hezbollah fights terrorist from Lebanon over Syria to Iraq. They have been supported by Syria and now support Syria. One hand washes the other. You have no clear view on the situation.

Greg

Hezbollah is a reasonable party and knows that a terrorist victory in Syria would be the end of Lebanon as well. Hezbollah fights terrorist from Lebanon over Syria to Iraq. They have been supported by Syria and now support Syria. One hand washes the other. You have no clear view on the situation.

Hezbollah are terrorists about to engage in extortion. There is no honor in extortion. You aren't qualified to determine my view.

Greg

Hezbollah are terrorists about to engage in extortion. There is no honor in extortion. You aren't qualified to determine my view.
You don´t have a view. You are a "Hezbollah are terrorists" propaganda parrot. Uncounted terrorist groups are active, raping and slaughtering people, occupying their homes and forcing them under the rule of their extremism.
But all we hear from you is "Hezbollah are terrorists". Hezbollah, that fiights those terrorists.

Iraqi FM: Hezbollah preserves Arab dignity and those who call them terrorists are the terrorists

Greg

You don´t have a view. You are a "Hezbollah are terrorists" propaganda parrot. Uncounted terrorist groups are active, raping and slaughtering people, occupying their homes and forcing them under the rule of their extremism.
But all we hear from you is "Hezbollah are terrorists". Hezbollah, that fiights those terrorists.

Iraqi FM: Hezbollah preserves Arab dignity and those who call them terrorists are the terrorists
I have a view. I just don't buy into your bullshit. You pretend that the Syrian war will somehow bring redeemable qualities to Hezbollah. You couldn't be further from the truth. There is no honor in extortion.

Forum List

Back