TIME mag's short list of candidates for MOTY is missing the two most obvious choices

Maybe the OP should start his own magazine and have a MOTY. I'm sure he'd sell a lot of subscriptions.

Being as only 8% of people get their news from Fox News and probably fewer people listen to Talk Radio (1%) therefore Rush Limbaugh probably get less than that , neither of your choices would meet the criteria for Time Magazines inflectional news makers. Your choices effect a small demographic effect in other words.
TV Is Americans' Main Source of News

I'm not sure what it is he thinks Rust Lackjaw actually did, since Flukegate was in 2012 --- other than occupy his afternoons with shiny rhetorical objects, which is apparently not hard to do...

I think we should systematically take one person off the list at a time until we come to 3 finalists and then come to a consensus on those three. What do you say?

Here's the list:

Here are the final ten contenders for TIME’s Person of the Year (listed alphabetically):

Bashar Assad, President of Syria
Jeff Bezos, Amazon Founder
Ted Cruz, Texas Senator
Miley Cyrus, Singer
Pope Francis, Leader of the Catholic Church
Barack Obama, President of the United States
Hassan Rouhani, President of Iran
Kathleen Sebelius, Secretary of Health and Human Services
Edward Snowden, N.S.A. Leaker
Edith Windsor, Gay rights activist

I think Miley Cyrus should be taken off. Do we have 6 agreements?

Well let me think about thaYES, absoulutely no question whatsoever.

Two votes for Miley to be dumped from the MOTY contest. Any other ideas or votes for Miley to go?

Maybe the OP should start his own magazine and have a MOTY. I'm sure he'd sell a lot of subscriptions.

He already has.

sylvie_fleury_are_you_too_fat_for_sex_1994_d5678677h.jpg

Lush Rimjob??? :lmao:

Wtf? Lush Rimjob had his shot last year with Flukegate. What did Fox Noise do?

Far as I'm concerned you can lop everybody off that list except Snowden and the Pope; they will have had the most lasting influence. Everybody else, thanks for playin'.

Any POTUS receiving such an award should have a much higher bar considering the free publicity they all get.

Pretty much this. Obama does not really belong only because the president will influence the news more than anyone no matter who he is. I think Snowden is a good choice considering he changed the dialogue and started a trend that we are still talking about.

Sent from my ADR8995 using Tapatalk 2

Miley Cyrus is on the finalist list?

MILEY CYRUS!?!?!:eek::eek::eek:

No shit. I got to that name and thought it was a joke but alas, NEVER underestimate the shallowness of the American public.

Think that 4 votes, lol.

I have and I can't lol at that. I am much closer to crying. It is pathetic but the reality that we face.

Think all we need is 3 or 4 votes to take someone down from the list.

Miley Cyrus is now history.

Here are the final nine contenders for TIME’s Person of the Year (listed alphabetically):

Ted Cruz, Texas Senator

Who do you think should be the next to go?

I would offer up Jeff Bezos to be offed.

Last edited:

TRANSLATION: I can't refute what you said about them, but I hate it anyway. So I'll ignore what you said, call them names, pretend I don't know what you already pointed out, and hope somebody believes me instead of you.

Translation: you have no answer. :eusa_boohoo:

Didn't even read the OP, did we? :rolleyes:

No shit. I got to that name and thought it was a joke but alas, NEVER underestimate the shallowness of the American public.

Think that 4 votes, lol.

I have and I can't lol at that. I am much closer to crying. It is pathetic but the reality that we face.

That's precisely why we have the Congress we have today.

TRANSLATION: I can't refute what you said about them, but I hate it anyway. So I'll ignore what you said, call them names, pretend I don't know what you already pointed out, and hope somebody believes me instead of you.

Yes. The OP talked about media personnel, but the official Times's short list are the people I have listed. At least that's how I understood it when I glanced at it. I didn't totally read it, I admit. Did I miss something?

Think all we need is 3 or 4 votes to take someone down from the list.

Miley Cyrus is now history.

Here are the final nine contenders for TIME’s Person of the Year (listed alphabetically):

Ted Cruz, Texas Senator

Who do you think should be the next to go?

I would offer up Jeff Bezos to be offed.

I'm with you! Bezos off the list.

Far as I'm concerned you can lop everybody off that list except Snowden and the Pope; they will have had the most lasting influence. Everybody else, thanks for playin'.

Any POTUS receiving such an award should have a much higher bar considering the free publicity they all get.

Pretty much this. Obama does not really belong only because the president will influence the news more than anyone no matter who he is. I think Snowden is a good choice considering he changed the dialogue and started a trend that we are still talking about.

Agreed. I'm looking at who did what that has the greatest lasting impact, which is why automatically dismiss the POTUS, the war-of-the-week heads of state, Anthony Weiner and Miley Fucking Circus.

Far as I'm concerned it's down to two. Just make Snowden the Pope and we're outta here.

Yes. The OP talked about media personnel, but the official Times's short list are the people I have listed. At least that's how I understood it when I glanced at it. I didn't totally read it, I admit. Did I miss something?

Time Magazines Person of the Year isn't about the media, it's about who influenced our news. Thusly, your two choices made no sense at all. I would guess more people are more aware of Miley Cyrus than either of your choices that you listed.:lol:

Last edited:
From TIME's website:

"The recognition goes to the person who TIME’s editors think most influenced the news this year, for good or bad."

In other words, it goes to the person who a bunch of liberal extremists think most influenced a larger bunch of liberal extremists (news writers and editors) this year.

By this standard, the list of candidates should consist of only two:

1.) Fox News writers, commentators, and editorial board; or

2.) Rush Limbaugh.

This year, those two had more influence on the liberals who write, slant, and disseminate most news, than anyone else. By repeatedly pointing out just how bad the various Obama administration scandals were, and not letting up in the face of attacks and abuse by the rest of the media....

.... they actually got the mainstream media to start criticizing the Obama administration, and got ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, and various other leftist outlets to say BAD things about the Obamanites.

Such a reporting trend among the liberal press is unprecedented, and in fact astounding. And it never would have happened if not for the persistent and factual reporting of Fox News and Limbaugh. Of course, those liberal outlets have since stopped reporting on the IRS, Obama's ineffectual response to Syria's use of WMDs on its own population, the coverup of Benghazi deaths of U.S. officials, the NSA, etc., and are winding down their criticism of Obamacare fast.

Nonetheless, they actually performed a little investigative reporting for a while there. And that is such a monumental change, showing such an earth-shaking "influence on the news", that the people who made it happen should be a shoe-in for the award.

Of course, that's like asking a naughty five-year-old who finally got caught with chocolate smeared over his face and his hand in the candy bowl, who was forced to go and wash up and even buy some replacement candy: "Which parent or grandparent or aunt or uncle was the most responsible for making you clean up your act? We want to give them an award!" ...and expecting them to give an honest answer.

So, sure enough, neither Limbaugh nor Fox News appears on TIME's short list of candidates.

(sigh)

SSDD......

--------------------------------------------------------------

TIME Person of the Year Finalists 2013 | TIME.com

The Top Ten Finalists for Person of the Year in 2013

By TIME Staff
Dec. 09, 2013

Here are the final ten contenders for TIME’s Person of the Year (listed alphabetically):

Ted Cruz, Texas Senator
Miley Cyrus, Singer

(snip)

TIME selected its first “Man of the Year” in 1927. The recognition goes to the person who TIME’s editors think most influenced the news this year, for good or bad.

I wrote a post a short time aqo and asked, "Did I miss something?" I certainly did. I missed an excellent post that was articulate and well written. It was an opinion piece I agree with and owe Little Acorn a very big apology for messing with his/her thread through my thoughtlessness. Please forgive me because you should have been given the thought and posts it deserved. Let me bow out now, so I hope posters go back and read that OP.

:dunno:

Excepting the link and paste from Time Mag, the entire OP is a strawman based on a specious and unfounded premise.

Time Magazines Person of the Year isn't about the media, it's about who influenced our news. Thusly, your two choices made no sense at all. I would guess more people are more aware of Miley Cyrus than either of your choices that you listed.:lol:

The TIME website I quoted in the OP said:

"The recognition goes to the person who TIME’s editors think most influenced the news this year, for good or bad."

For the reasons I gave in the OP, Fox News or Rush Limbaugh have influenced the news more than any of the people on the list, possibly excepting Obama himself (a President always influences the news in major ways).

This year, those two had more influence on the liberals who write, slant, and disseminate most news, than anyone else. By repeatedly pointing out just how bad the various Obama administration scandals were, and not letting up in the face of attacks and abuse by the rest of the media....

.... they actually got the mainstream media to start criticizing the Obama administration, and got ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, and various other leftist outlets to say BAD things about the Obamanites.

Such a reporting trend among the liberal press is unprecedented, and in fact astounding. And it never would have happened if not for the persistent and factual reporting of Fox News and Limbaugh. Of course, those liberal outlets have since stopped reporting on the IRS, Obama's ineffectual response to Syria's use of WMDs on its own population, the coverup of Benghazi deaths of U.S. officials, the NSA, etc., and are winding down their criticism of Obamacare fast.

Nonetheless, they actually performed a little investigative reporting for a while there. And that is such a monumental change, showing such an earth-shaking "influence on the news", that the people who made it happen should be a shoe-in for the award.

Of course, that's like asking a naughty five-year-old who finally got caught with chocolate smeared over his face and his hand in the candy bowl, who was forced to go and wash up and even buy some replacement candy: "Which parent or grandparent or aunt or uncle was the most responsible for making you clean up your act? We want to give them an award!" ...and expecting them to give an honest answer.

So, sure enough, neither Limbaugh nor Fox News appears on TIME's short list of candidates.

No, but Fox news, theme of 'fair and balanced', and market share did have an impact on the liberal slanted networks where the 'whole story' wasn't being told. Viewers were tuning into Fox to find out 'the facts of the case" and just what stories were out there that weren't being told by the other stations. The OP made the case that was true. I urge you to go back and read it. It was very good.

The TIME website I quoted in the OP said:

For the reasons I gave in the OP, Fox News or Rush Limbaugh have influenced the news more than any of the people on the list, possibly excepting Obama himself (a President always influences the news in major ways).

Here is a link to all of Time Magazine's Person of the Year. Do you see anyone who was part of the media? One person who could be considered media is Mark Zuckerberg but then that would be "social media". In other words, you're 100% wrong.
Now your choices may be really important to you, but you represent a small piece of the American demographics. Time is talking about the entire US and the world! Fox News get's 8% of all the news audience in the US, Rush less than 1% of the audience. That isn't even a ripple on an undisturbed and smooth lake.
Oh and here's the link.
Time Person of the Year
Time Person of the Year - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ya think we can have just a little reality here?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back