Three examples of Cancel Culture.

Man of Ethics

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2021
Cancel Culture punishes people primarily for Offensive Speech. In this nanoessay I present three typical examples which demonstrate that Cancel Culture may seem legitimate, while in reality it is evil. First example is obvious Hate Speech. An example of Racist Hate Speech is 6MWE. This is a slogan popular among neo-Nazis which implies that all Jews are guilty of Messiah-cide and thus Holocaust was justified. Such Hate Speech does and should result in severe consequences. In all Western Nations, the offender would be blacklisted and unemployable. In UK and Australia, the offender would also be prosecuted and may be sentenced to 2 to 5 years incarceration. In this case, Cancel Culture response is absolutely legitimate.

The second example is someone being punished for an offensive tweet they made over a decade ago. The offender offered a sincere apology for the tweet. Firing and especially blacklisting them may be unreasonably harsh. Many Laws in USA are also unreasonably harsh. Hundreds of thousands of people, especially Minorities serve extremely long prison sentences for minor offenses. In this case, Cancel Culture response is debatable.

The third example is someone who is not guilty of any Hate Speech, but disagrees with Progressives on some issue. Tens of thousands of such people are fired and blacklisted. For example, men and women have lost their careers for advocating for male victims of Domestic Violence. Such advocacy is very offensive to Progressive women who have abused their partners and children. Of course, not all Progressive women are abusers, but those who are do have influence. Both men and women may have lost jobs and careers for disagreeing with \#killallmen and \#menaretrash messages. This is a clear example of Cancel Culture suppressing legitimate Free Speech. This is a clear example of Cancel Culture enforcing Intolerance and punishing Tolerance. This is a clear example of Cancel Culture acting on behalf of Abusers and punishing those showing Compassion to Abuse Victims.

Cancel Culture can act as legitimate Law Enforcement such as Example 1. That gives them an aura of legitimacy. Sadly, Cancel Culture also acts as an instrument of Progressive Tyranny as in Example 3.

Cancel Culture punishes people primarily for Offensive Speech. In this nanoessay I present three typical examples which demonstrate that Cancel Culture may seem legitimate, while in reality it is evil. First example is obvious Hate Speech. An example of Racist Hate Speech is 6MWE. This is a slogan popular among neo-Nazis which implies that all Jews are guilty of Messiah-cide and thus Holocaust was justified. Such Hate Speech does and should result in severe consequences. In all Western Nations, the offender would be blacklisted and unemployable. In UK and Australia, the offender would also be prosecuted and may be sentenced to 2 to 5 years incarceration. In this case, Cancel Culture response is absolutely legitimate.

The second example is someone being punished for an offensive tweet they made over a decade ago. The offender offered a sincere apology for the tweet. Firing and especially blacklisting them may be unreasonably harsh. Many Laws in USA are also unreasonably harsh. Hundreds of thousands of people, especially Minorities serve extremely long prison sentences for minor offenses. In this case, Cancel Culture response is debatable.

The third example is someone who is not guilty of any Hate Speech, but disagrees with Progressives on some issue. Tens of thousands of such people are fired and blacklisted. For example, men and women have lost their careers for advocating for male victims of Domestic Violence. Such advocacy is very offensive to Progressive women who have abused their partners and children. Of course, not all Progressive women are abusers, but those who are do have influence. Both men and women may have lost jobs and careers for disagreeing with \#killallmen and \#menaretrash messages. This is a clear example of Cancel Culture suppressing legitimate Free Speech. This is a clear example of Cancel Culture enforcing Intolerance and punishing Tolerance. This is a clear example of Cancel Culture acting on behalf of Abusers and punishing those showing Compassion to Abuse Victims.

Cancel Culture can act as legitimate Law Enforcement such as Example 1. That gives them an aura of legitimacy. Sadly, Cancel Culture also acts as an instrument of Progressive Tyranny as in Example 3.
Cancel culture is a myth. What you're talking about is consequence culture.

And the fact that you don't understand what you're posting doesn't mean they did.
As I mentioned in OP, I have no problem with people suffering consequences for actual Hate Speech.

Sadly you support punishing people for defending wrong victims of abuse.

You continue to demonstrate that Progressives are the greatest Evil since WWII. Hopefully Conservatives will master the Art of Boycott.

As I mentioned in OP, I have no problem with people suffering consequences for actual Hate Speech
It seems what you can't get is that agreeing that 'actual hate speech' exists as a term makes it possible for censorship and cancel culture as a consequence.

It seems what you can't get is that agreeing that 'actual hate speech' exists as a term makes it possible for censorship and cancel culture as a consequence.
Some speech like some action is a great wrong and deserves punishment.

Sadly many Progressives support clearly unjust punishment of anyone who disagrees with them.

Some speech like some action is a great wrong and deserves punishment.

Sadly many Progressives support clearly unjust punishment of anyone who disagrees with them.
I want to underline that we are talking about speech, not an action.

Can you give an example of speech that is a great wrong? Above, you mentioned the Holocaust. Can say denying of the Armenian genocide in Turkey be 'a great wrong' and should people be punished for that?

I want to underline that we are talking about speech, not an action.

Can you give an example of speech that is a great wrong? Above, you mentioned the Holocaust. Can say denying of the Armenian genocide in Turkey be 'a great wrong' and should people be punished for that?
I prefer not to discuss these issues.

Denying Holocaust, overt Racism, extreme sexism (against any gender) are examples of Hate Speech.

Forum List

Back