Those wonderful, amazing cheap cuts of meat.

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
Pork Shoulder....
shoulde.jpg

Fatty, tough and intimidating for many.

But actually very easy to roast, albeit hours in the oven.... but what you end up with is succulent, tender meat that taste damn near as good as bacon. And will feed you all week.

cooked.jpg

Always overlooked, it is a diamond in the rough.
It is often cheaper than ground beef, one of the most versatile meats available... it can feed your whole family at least 3 dinners.

Pork Shoulder....
View attachment 444145

But actually very easy to roast, albeit hours in the oven.... but what you end up with is succulent, tender meat that taste damn near as good as bacon. And will feed you all week.

View attachment 444146

It is often cheaper than ground beef, one of the most versatile meats available... it can feed your whole family at least 3 dinners.

Definitely one of the easiest cuts to BBQ.
It has so much fat in it you'd have to try to overcook it.

Whole Chicken...

chi.jpg

Often on sale for as little as $12.... and you have the makings of feeding a whole family plus leftovers.
Boil with onion/carrot/celery and you have "free broth"... plop in some noodles and you have a large pot of chicken and noodles. McDonalds can't touch the low price of this.
Pop in the oven, and you have chicken dinner that will taste far superior to individualy cut pieces.
And it is actually easier to cook.

Pork Shoulder....
View attachment 444145

View attachment 444146

I love pork roasts. Throw em on the kettle for 9 hours and im good to go.
I like to make fruit bbq sauce with it, as well.

I likes makin' da pulled pork for dinner or for sandwiches..You can use any cut you like even the cheap ones..
Yep... I made carnitas last night. Some of the best tacos you can eat are made with slow roasted pulled pork.
It takes tacos to a whole other level.
I made carnitas for the first time a couple weeks ago. I loved them.
I cut the roast into chunks and cooked it in lard for a few hours. It eventually started "deep frying" the meat and made a hella texture addition for the tacos.

I likes makin' da pulled pork for dinner or for sandwiches..You can use any cut you like even the cheap ones..
Yep... I made carnitas last night. Some of the best tacos you can eat are made with slow roasted pulled pork.
I cut the roast into chunks and cooked it in lard for a few hours. It eventually started "deep frying" the meat and made a hella texture addition for the tacos.
Try it with Salsa Verde instead of "red" salsa... soooo much better.

I used a honey sriracha sauce for the carnitas. It went great with the crumbled goat cheese, shredded cabbage and cilantro.

I used a honey sriracha sauce for the carnitas. It went great with the crumbled goat cheese, shredded cabbage and cilantro.
I like shredded cabbage on fish and shrimp tacos, but not so much on pork/steak.
I also put a little honey in the pan a few minutes before shutting the fire off. Honey goes really well with pretty much anything spicy.

I like shredded cabbage on fish and shrimp tacos, but not so much on pork/steak.
I also put a little honey in the pan a few minutes before shutting the fire off. Honey goes really well with pretty much anything spicy.
Cabbage on any taco, for me. I love the crunch it adds.
It really does. Try mixing it with sriracha. Maybe even a little lime, as well. That combo is absolutely amazing, man

Cabbage on any taco, for me. I love the crunch it adds.
It really does. Try mixing it with sriracha. Maybe even a little lime, as well. That combo is absolutely amazing, man
For sure... you can't properly make tacos or carnitas without lime... or cilantro.

Whole Chicken...

View attachment 444664

Often on sale for as little as $12.... and you have the makings of feeding a whole family plus leftovers.
Boil with onion/carrot/celery and you have "free broth"... plop in some noodles and you have a large pot of chicken and noodles. McDonalds can't touch the low price of this.
Pop in the oven, and you have chicken dinner that will taste far superior to individualy cut pieces.

Go out and get you a high end chicken one day,they ain't cheap at around $35 bucks but what a difference!!
They taste like chicken did 20 years ago.

Whole Chicken...

View attachment 444664

Go out and get you a high end chicken one day,they ain't cheap at around $35 bucks but what a difference!!
We buy our chickens from a butcher store here. All of the chickens sold there come from one of three farms all guaranteed to be no more than 100 miles from the store, all no hormones, all cage free. Most come from a large Amish farm. They usually run $15 - $18. And they are soooooooooo much better than the rubbery textured frankenchicken you get from grocery stores.

Whole Chicken...

View attachment 444664

We buy our chickens from a butcher store here. All of the chickens sold there come from one of three farms all guaranteed to be no more than 100 miles from the store, all no hormones, all cage free. Most come from a large Amish farm. They usually run $15 - $18. And they are soooooooooo much better than the rubbery textured frankenchicken you get from grocery stores.

Thats the only way to go.
Todays chickens from the grocery store are tasteless,kinda like the tomatoes.

Whole Chicken...

View attachment 444664

Oh yeah... get a whole chicken from a grocery store and you open the bag and some weird, thick oozing liquid pours out of it.
Saline solution. Now... just why do you think they pack the chickens in a saline solution? The mass producers say "it makes for a tastier, juicy bite"... yeah... bullshit. It is to artificially plump it up and add weight to the bag. Think about it, this thick liquid of which there is at minimum a cup of it injected in...that will weigh approx. a half of a pound. (A cup of whipping cream weighs approx. half pound)... okay... the national average for a whole chicken is $1.28/lb.... they make $.56 more per freaking chicken. That is a lot of freaking money!!
Just another way corporate producers rip you off.

Whole Chicken...

View attachment 444664

Oh yeah... get a whole chicken from a grocery store and you open the bag and some weird, thick oozing liquid pours out of it.
Saline solution. Now... just why do you think they pack the chickens in a saline solution? The mass producers say "it makes for a tastier, juicy bite"... yeah... bullshit. It is to artificially plump it up and add weight to the bag. Think about it, this thick liquid of which there is at minimum a cup of it injected in...that will weigh approx. a half of a pound. (A cup of whipping cream weighs approx. half pound)... okay... the national average for a whole chicken is $1.28/lb.... they make $.56 more per freaking chicken. That is a lot of freaking money!!
Just another way corporate producers rip you off.

Always buy air chilled chickens!!

Forum List

Back