This is seriously messed up. WTF?!?!?

I think it would have made more sense for Jindal to call Obama instead of going back to his office and issuing a press release.

But hey, that's just what I would have done.

obama has proven to be less than a leader.

but, hey, that's just me

I agree that Obama is sucking at this. I don't get the feel of any kind of urgency from him. A big part of the POTUS' job is to be a cheerleader and he's not doing that sufficiently, IMO. I think he naively believes that Americans will just stay angry at BP and not fault him. Not good.

However, the idea that he is somehow trying to sabotage the whole operation like Frank and a couple of other's seem to believe is ludicrous.

Coast Guard Orders Barges to Stop

So why stop now?

"The Coast Guard came and shut them down," Jindal said. "You got men on the barges in the oil, and they have been told by the Coast Guard, 'Cease and desist. Stop sucking up that oil.'"

A Coast Guard representative told ABC News today that it shares the same goal as the governor.

"We are all in this together. The enemy is the oil," said Coast Guard Lt. Cmdr. Dan Lauer.

But the Coast Guard ordered the stoppage because of reasons that Jindal found frustrating. The Coast Guard needed to confirm that there were fire extinguishers and life vests on board, and then it had trouble contacting the people who built the barges.

BP Oil Spill: Against Gov. Bobby Jindal's Wishes, Crude-Sucking Barges Stopped by Coast Guard - ABC News

these fucking people are behaving in a criminally inept way. unbelievable.

i'm starting to agree that bush handled katrina better, and the way bush handled katrina was fucking pitiful.

barack-obama-heres-my-solution-to-the-oil-spill1.jpg

Is it just me, or does anyone else get the feeling that Jindal is less concerned with protecting his state than he is concerned about scoring cheap political points?

Why didn't he just call Obama instead of going back to his office to issue a press release?

Calling someone may have made more sense, even Biden if Obama wasn't home.
One would think, that one being myself, that the Coast Guard would have inspected those craft BEFORE they left port. But then again who's responsibility is it to ensure readiness of their crafts PRIOR to this or any endeavor? The operators KNOW if their crafts have been inspected and passed. It would seem they tried sending them out without this approval.

When flawless steps are demanded for a timely response to an event, delays for these reasons should have not occurred and cannot be tolerated.

To quote DEL
This is seriously messed up

Sometimes I get the feeling that I am watching a 3 Stooges marathon, am I the only one who has this feeling, and BTW it happened in previous administrations also, so it's NOT a unique event. :D

You got these large barges (reminds me of Large Marge lol) sucking up a bunch of oil which is flammable and combustible ... so the Coast Guard made sure they were up to snuff safety wise. Heaven forbid there was an explosion on one of those ships and they didn't have any gear to deal with it ... if there were I guarandamntee that a bunch of people on this board would screaming that they should have made sure that they were prepared to deal with such a thing. And could you imagine if it did happen and it turned out the Coast Guard let them operate without safey gear? So they did an inspection and they are rolling again. I mean, if you want to subscribe to Frank's theory knock yourself out but it holds about as much water as a strainer.
You would have a point... except it happened to all the ships at the same time. That tells me this is not just 'inspecting'. It would have been one at a time, they stop, get inspected, move on, lather rinse repeat. You would have had only 1 or two off line at a time. That's why it's suspicious.

If there is a possible safety issue on the barges and they plan on inspecting them all it only makes sense to stop them all at once. You don't let unchecked ships continue to work if there is a suspected problem just because they are in line to get checked. Yes, it's slow but it's the gov't. Be suspicious all you want but I find it pretty silly to think there was some nefarious plot behind it.
Well, it's good you still have faith in the competence of government, but I find it highly misplaced.

One, you wouldn't have to shut down all barges at the same time. You have to get the inspectors out in boats to do the job. This is not a synchronized event and can have variances of many hours that being in compliance or not will not make a difference in the form of lifejackets or fire extinguishers. This is a joke.

Two, they called the ships to return to PORT and then let them sit. This is inconcievble. Most USCG inspections can and more regularly do occur at sea, not at port.

Three, the timing of this is ludicrous. As Glenn Beck just pointed out, you don't get an OSHA inspector to ground zero shutting down firemen trying to save people while the towers are burning just because their flashlight batteries are low or they don't have the latest regulation gear so they are prevented from committing 'unsafe rescues' of people who would die without immedeate action. You do the goddamn job THEN after it is over you look at what could have been done better.

No, this was not a simple safety inspection. This was at BEST government incompetence which should cost more than a few bureaucrats and officers their position an commission. At worst, it is a criminal act to block a state's right to protect it's territory and citizens because it wants to make political hay on the disaster. If that's the case, I want a firing squad on line for those who did this, as well as for the BP executives who overrode safe operating parameters because they wanted to save a few million dollars. These people need to very well be made examples for this ONCE THE DISASTER IS OVER.

People need to get their priorities straight.

You would have a point... except it happened to all the ships at the same time. That tells me this is not just 'inspecting'. It would have been one at a time, they stop, get inspected, move on, lather rinse repeat. You would have had only 1 or two off line at a time. That's why it's suspicious.

If there is a possible safety issue on the barges and they plan on inspecting them all it only makes sense to stop them all at once. You don't let unchecked ships continue to work if there is a suspected problem just because they are in line to get checked. Yes, it's slow but it's the gov't. Be suspicious all you want but I find it pretty silly to think there was some nefarious plot behind it.
Well, it's good you still have faith in the competence of government, but I find it highly misplaced.

One, you wouldn't have to shut down all barges at the same time. You have to get the inspectors out in boats to do the job. This is not a synchronized event and can have variances of many hours that being in compliance or not will not make a difference in the form of lifejackets or fire extinguishers. This is a joke.

Two, they called the ships to return to PORT and then let them sit. This is inconcievble. Most USCG inspections can and more regularly do occur at sea, not at port.

Three, the timing of this is ludicrous. As Glenn Beck just pointed out, you don't get an OSHA inspector to ground zero shutting down firemen trying to save people while the towers are burning just because their flashlight batteries are low or they don't have the latest regulation gear so they are prevented from committing 'unsafe rescues' of people who would die without immedeate action. You do the goddamn job THEN after it is over you look at what could have been done better.

No, this was not a simple safety inspection. This was at BEST government incompetence which should cost more than a few bureaucrats and officers their position an commission. At worst, it is a criminal act to block a state's right to protect it's territory and citizens because it wants to make political hay on the disaster. If that's the case, I want a firing squad on line for those who did this, as well as for the BP executives who overrode safe operating parameters because they wanted to save a few million dollars. These people need to very well be made examples for this ONCE THE DISASTER IS OVER.

You were doing fine until you mentioned glennbeck. I stopped reading there. You're opinion makes sense now.

So why stop now?

"The Coast Guard came and shut them down," Jindal said. "You got men on the barges in the oil, and they have been told by the Coast Guard, 'Cease and desist. Stop sucking up that oil.'"

A Coast Guard representative told ABC News today that it shares the same goal as the governor.

"We are all in this together. The enemy is the oil," said Coast Guard Lt. Cmdr. Dan Lauer.

But the Coast Guard ordered the stoppage because of reasons that Jindal found frustrating. The Coast Guard needed to confirm that there were fire extinguishers and life vests on board, and then it had trouble contacting the people who built the barges.

BP Oil Spill: Against Gov. Bobby Jindal's Wishes, Crude-Sucking Barges Stopped by Coast Guard - ABC News

i'm starting to agree that bush handled katrina better, and the way bush handled katrina was fucking pitiful.

So, by your 'reasoning' you are holding the Commander-in-Chief accountable for this decision? It seems to me only a hyperpartisan would make such a nexus, unless of course you truly believe the buck stops with the president. In which case Bush - yes booooosh - as Commander-in-Chief was responsible for the torture and prisoner abuse at Abu Ghraib Prison. Do you, and do you believe Bush ought to be indicted for such crimes? Should he have been impeached for lying to the American people as a pretext to the invasion of Iraq?
A thoughtful response is appreciated, the usual ad hominem bull shit not so much.

I think it would have made more sense for Jindal to call Obama instead of going back to his office and issuing a press release.

Ravi, did you read this?

"The governor said he didn't have the authority to overrule the Coast Guard's decision, though he said he tried to reach the White House to raise his concerns.

It seems the best way of handling a potential problem like this would be to send a party on board to check those possible deficiences rather than hold up vital operations, if those operations were indeed seen as being vital.

It appears that this whole affair is being treated as "business as usual", no one is really willing to think outside the box for fear of getting this asses burned.
I don't buy it. I don't believe that if Jindal called up and said that he needed to speak to the president on an urgent matter that he would not have been put through.

You were doing fine until you mentioned glennbeck. I stopped reading there. You're opinion makes sense now.
Awesome! Your brain has an off button! All I have to do is say "Glenn Beck" and you go into reboot! How sweet is that?

Idiot. thanks for proving my suspicion you P-BO worshipers won't see anything funky in this because all we have to say is "GLENN BECK" and your critical thinking functions shut down.

This is why you have no credibility. Not even a broken clock is right 2 times a day. At least from your point of view that Beck is a broken clock when he's been most certainly right on almost everything he's pointed out since 2008. But you go on thinking that.

GLENN BECK! see? that's amazing! I can actually sense your eyes rolling back in your head as shutdown starts.

Last edited:
Glenn beck's point is stupid, btw.

Firefighters are trained and equipped to fight fires. There's a reason cities don't leave putting out fires to people with bad gear and little or no training.

It would endanger people.

Awesome! Your brain has an off button! All I have to do is say "Glenn Beck" and you go into reboot! How sweet is that?

Idiot. thanks for proving my suspicion you P-BO worshipers won't see anything funky in this because all we have to say is "GLENN BECK" and your critical thinking functions shut down.

This is why you have no credibility.

lol ...

Check my post earlier in the thread where I said that Obama is sucking at the clean up if you think I'm a BO "worshiper."

But yes, whenever a sentence starts with "glennbeck pointed out" I stop reading and it doesn't shock me one bit that the poster parroting glennbeck seems to believe that Obama is trying sabotage this whole clean up effort. So ... if my credibility is lost on you that can only be a good thing for me.

how does the fact that Glen Beck said x, y or z change the veracity of what was said? If Ethel Mertz said it, does that make it true? This argument always bugs me.

Now, given the veracity level of Zona, Ravi and 0bama, if they said it was raining, I wouldn't bother with an umbrella until I went outdoors on my own first. The veracity of these guys does not change the weather, but the credibility of the their statements.

how does the fact that Glen Beck said x, y or z change the veracity of what was said? If Ethel Mertz said it, does that make it true? This argument always bugs me.

Now, given the veracity level of Zona, Ravi and 0bama, if they said it was raining, I wouldn't bother with an umbrella until I went outdoors on my own first. The veracity of these guys does not change the weather, but the credibility of the their statements.

glennbeck could tell me the sky is blue and my response would be to deck him in his fat, bloated head then say, "fuck you it's sky blue."

So why stop now?

So, by your 'reasoning' you are holding the Commander-in-Chief accountable for this decision? It seems to me only a hyperpartisan would make such a nexus, unless of course you truly believe the buck stops with the president. In which case Bush - yes booooosh - as Commander-in-Chief was responsible for the torture and prisoner abuse at Abu Ghraib Prison. Do you, and do you believe Bush ought to be indicted for such crimes? Should he have been impeached for lying to the American people as a pretext to the invasion of Iraq?
A thoughtful response is appreciated, the usual ad hominem bull shit not so much.

he's the head of the executive branch, of which the coast guard is part, so yes, i hold him accountable, just as i held bush accountable when he was in office.

i'm pretty sure there was a chain of command at abu ghraib, and that it has been held appropriately responsible. is every president ultimately reponsible for things that happen during their administration? yes. that's a distinction from criminal liability and/or blame in my mind. i've been against the iraq war since before it started, but i don't believe bush lied about it, so therefore i don't believe he should have been impeached. if we start impeaching presidents for bad decisions, we're going to have a new one every week.

he was a shitty prez, imo, and obama is just as bad and trending worse.

glennbeck could tell me the sky is blue and my response would be to deck him in his fat, bloated head then say, "fuck you it's sky blue."

don't sugarcoat it, tell us how you feel.

Glenn beck's point is stupid, btw.

Firefighters are trained and equipped to fight fires. There's a reason cities don't leave putting out fires to people with bad gear and little or no training.

It would endanger people.
So you would have been for stopping anyone helping victims in the 9/11 disaster because they weren't trained firemen? Okie dokie. raise that death count! Gotta protect that fireman's union y'all!

applying the same logic to the gulf mess, you're for letting more coastline be destroyed just because you want to make sure that a barge is not short a lifejacket or fire extinguisher?

nope... sorry, your argument does not hold water.

Nice to see you know you're a jackbooted hatemongering asshole who has no interest in truth. Seig heil to you jackass.

Nice to see you know you're a jackbooted hatemongering asshole who has no interest in truth. Seig heil to you jackass.

How 'bout you take that tin foil hat you are wearing, have glennbeck fashion it into a dildo, strap it on, and plug up your ass like a hole in the bottom of the ocean ... you know, loosely.

Last edited:

don't sugarcoat it, tell us how you feel.

lol ...

Don't get me started ...

How 'bout you take that tin foil hat you are wearing, have glennbeck fashion it into a dildo, strap it on, and plug up your ass like a hole in the bottom of the ocean ... you know, loosely.
I'm not interested in your ass fetishes.

GLENN BECK!

LOL... it's just so funny to watch! I think I heard a circuit breaker kick out that time.

why should he? and risk getting ignored again, like he ignored Gov. Brewer? Get a clue.

I'm not interested in your ass fetishes.

GLENN BECK!

LOL... it's just so funny to watch! I think I heard a circuit breaker kick out that time.

And I'm not interested in your Nazi jackboot fantasies.

BARACK OBAMA!

LOL ... it's just so funny to watch! I think I heard a new conspiracy theory kick out that time.

Forum List

Back