Zone1 Things that block people from God

“ Trusting God” Is that something you’re born with or indoctrinated into ?

For me it was neither. I didn't grow up in a Christian home. My dad was a hardcore atheist, and my Mom went to Catholic church, but God/religion was never talked about in our home (my parents had made an agreement early on to never talk about religion, which is probably why they were happily married for 54 years, despite their opposite views.) I was not a believer, probably because at that time my only exposure to religion was the Catholic church, and even as a child and teen I could see things that turned me away from it all, so I threw out the baby with the bathwater. I didn't become a born-again Christian until many years later, as an adult. And even though the moment I became a believer was a one-time instant thing.... "trust" in the nature /character God is something that sometimes takes many years to grow, and that trust comes through experiences, trials, and actually seeing with one's own eyes that Romans 8:28 is true: God works all things for the good of those who love him.

Everyone who can read or write has the power over everyone else. Obviously, it’s all word of mouth. No recording devises just a story after another, handed down from one to another. There was no god in ant if it. And just to make my point,

Simply means you are one of those trained not to be a critical thinker.

The reason I said "that's all I'm going to say about that" is because in that particular post I just wanted to respond to ONE thing you said, your statement "I want to see a miracle." And I made my point. That doesn't mean I did not want to discuss anything else.

But the fact that you didn't address anything I said and made a wrong assumption shows to me that your mind is closed and you are projecting, in the last thing you said. You don't know me at all. I am not the type to easily believe anything. I have always been more on the skeptical side (I got that from my Dad) and things have to make logical sense for me. But I can see that this conversation is most likely a waste of time, so.... I'm going to reply to some others here.

1. Sin (Isaiah 59:2, Colossians 1:21)
  2. Pride (Psalm 10:4, James 4:6)
  3. The enemy (2 Corinthians 4:4)
  4. Preoccupation with this world (1 John 2:15, Romans 1:25)

Sometimes I hear nonbelievers say things like "I would like to believe, but I just don't." So for the sake of those who say that with sincerity, I felt it would be worthwhile to point out that certain things can block people from God. Or another way to put it is, there are certain things that are blinding.

This may not be a complete list, so if you're a believer, feel free to add to this list, in case I left anything out.
Some people are disadvantaged. Like being born in the 21st century, like being older than nine, like being able to read.

The reason I said "that's all I'm going to say about that" is because in that particular post I just wanted to respond to ONE thing you said, your statement "I want to see a miracle." And I made my point. That doesn't mean I did not want to discuss anything else.

But the fact that you didn't address anything I said and made a wrong assumption shows to me that your mind is closed and you are projecting, in the last thing you said. You don't know me at all. I am not the type to easily believe anything. I have always been more on the skeptical side (I got that from my Dad) and things have to make logical sense for me. But I can see that this conversation is most likely a waste of time, so.... I'm going to reply to some others here.
I addressed what I wanted to. I keep my posts short. This is the second time you’ve responded with a closed mind with no intent to respond to what I’ve actually said. The Bible is supposed to be the word of God handed down from one scribe to another. Why ? If god is that powerful, why doesn’t everyone and not just a few including you, get a revelation ? Why do “believers“ consider themselves special, then wonder why others who don’ t think they are special, still look for evidence. Why do believers in god label everyone else an atheist ? You don’t even acknowledge that the vast majority of non believers are not atheists.

Sin only exists in religious dogma so saying sin blocks people from gods is the same as saying religion blocks people from gods.

I think you're too caught up on the word "sin" rather than the actual idea behind the word. Do you believe murder is wrong? Do you believe adultery is wrong? Do you believe stealing is wrong? Well, those things are sins, but you don't have to use that word if you don't want to. Even if you don't believe in God, you should still be able to understand the point, that doing wrong things is something that separates people from God.

Pride is a sin in both the OT and the NT

True, and I could've left that under the category of sin, but since it's such a big one (and as the CS Lewis quote said, one that leads to many other evils) I felt it was worth it's own bullet point, lol.

There is no enemy

Oh yes there is. I guarantee it. But I don't expect you to believe me, so.... continuing on here....

And a preoccupation with other worlds is just a faster way to die.

The word "preoccupation" may not have been the best way of putting it. What I meant was, people who love the things of this world so much that they are focused only on that, and have no time or use for anything else, such as God. In other words, people who are so caught up in the pleasures this temporary world has to offer, or the worldy things like celebrities, entertainment, sports, making money, romantic relationships, etc etc etc.

And I know I keep doing this, but what I just said reminds me of another C.S Lewis quote, that is on what we were just talking about. Here it is:

“It would seem that our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”

The Bible is supposed to be the word of God handed down from one scribe to another. Why ? If god is that powerful, why doesn’t everyone and not just a few including you, get a revelation ? Why do “believers“ consider themselves special, then wonder why others who don’ t think they are special, still look for evidence. Why do believers in god label everyone else an atheist ? You don’t even acknowledge that the vast majority of non believers are not atheists.

You want me to respond to all your continuous questions, and some of them are good questions, but they're not the topic here. I should have stated this in the OP (and I did say it in one of my replies) but I don't want this thread to turn into yet another atheist vs theist thread on the existence of God. That is not the topic.

And btw, I've said this before, but I'll say it again. In ALL my years on the internet, something I see over and over and over and over is whenever a thread is started in the religion section, when the topic is about something specific that's related to faith/ religion, atheists ALWAYS want to change the topic into a debate about the existence of God. Always. That's a good discussion too, so please start a new thread if you want to discuss that. If I have time, I'll join in. But on this thread I don't want it to get steered in other directions. Thanks.

You want me to respond to all your continuous questions, and some of them are good questions, but they're not the topic here. I should have stated this in the OP (and I did say it in one of my replies) but I don't want this thread to turn into yet another atheist vs theist thread on the existence of God. That is not the topic.

And btw, I've said this before, but I'll say it again. In ALL my years on the internet, something I see over and over and over and over is whenever a thread is started in the religion section, when the topic is about something specific that's related to faith/ religion, atheists ALWAYS want to change the topic into a debate about the existence of God. Always. That's a good discussion too, so please start a new thread if you want to discuss that. If I have time, I'll join in. But on this thread I don't want it to get steered in other directions. Thanks.
You have all the answers, I have all the questions. That is the difference. You want to know what blocks some people from believing in God ? It’s simple. Believers pretending they have all the answers and are not willing to do the real hard work of introspection. Anyone can hide behind the prose of good literature, but it is just that, literature.
An eye for an eye is an example of appealing literature, but to treat it as a life lesson and the word of god, is fallacy. Even the most devout believer doesn’t take it seriously….
Its hard work now explaining why ? Until you engage in that introspection, you’re convincing no one of anything…..
least of all, people who just don’t know which you simplistically refer Tomas athiest.

Till you get over that hand up, you’ll be miles away from understanding why there are non believers.

Jesus taught, "Seek and ye shall find, knock and it shall be opened unto you". One first needs to have an open mind and believe the words of Jesus Christ and that he lives. It is only when we do that and seek after him that God opens the door and witnesses to our souls that he is real and loves us very much. In the church we call it a personal testimony.

You have all the answers, I have all the questions. That is the difference. You want to know what blocks some people from believing in God ? It’s simple. Believers pretending they have all the answers and not willing to do the real hard work of introspection. Anyone can hide behind the prose of good literature, but it is just that, literature.
An eye for an eye is an example of appealing literature, but to treat it as a life lesson and the word of god, is fallacy. Even the most devout believer doesn’t take it seriously….
Its hard work now explaining why ? Until you engage in that introspection, you’re concinsing no one of anything…..

No, I definitely don't have all the answers and never claimed to. That said, there is someone who does have all the answers. And in my view, why wouldn't one want to get to know the source of all wisdom?

Last edited:
Jesus taught, "Seek and ye shall find, knock and it shall be opened unto you". One first needs to have an open mind and believe the words of Jesus Christ and that he lives. It is only when we do that and seek after him that God opens the door and witnesses to our souls that he is real and loves us very much. In the church we call it a personal testimony.

AMEN! So true, if one seeks the truth wholeheartedly and with a genuine valuing of truth, God honors that and the door will be opened... a closed mind is not going to get anyone anywhere. I'm not sure what category on the list in the OP closedmindedness would go under. Maybe pride. Or maybe the enemy.

No, I definitely don't have all the answers and never claimed to. That said, there is someone who does have all the answers. And in my view, why wouldn't someone want to get to know the source of all wisdom?
If you could tell us the source of all this wisdom, great. But be prepared to defend every word you say if as some believers claim, it’s the word of God.

To someone looking for evidence, citing the Bible doesn’t cut it. Great piece of literature, but much in it can’t be defended easily.

Greed and the evil within them. Men are evil. They are more evil when they don't believe they answer to anyone else. It's a.vicious cycle.
I like this answer (and others).

The liberal doesn't believe he answers to any Higher power. He thinks he is the highest power. It's really bizarre... esp when you look @ these people and the things they say/do. I mean, how can they possibly believe that???!!

Most Democrats are going to Hell.
I'd say ALL of them, though God knows.

We have to pray for them. But they are a stubborn lot. Are we to believe they never even consider turning away from such horrors as abortion? they never consider that letting perfect strangers swarm our borders is not the best thing for our country?

I'm not buying it

They think about it, they just ignore their consciences until they don't have one anymore

I'd say ALL of them, though God knows.

We have to pray for them. But they are a stubborn lot. Are we to believe they never even consider turning away from such horrors as abortion? they never consider that letting perfect strangers swarm our borders is not the best thing for our country?

I'm not buying it

They think about it, they just ignore their consciences until they don't have one anymore
20% of them vote Democrat because they're easily manipulated.
The rest are just A holes.

The liberal doesn't believe he answers to any Higher power.
So you were a liberal ? Otherwise you don’t know what a liberal believes. So who us that higher power ? Trump or anyone who claims to be a savior ?

In other words, close your mind to legitimate inquiry.

Is today opposite day? I just finished saying the exact opposite. Legitimate inquiry is a GOOD thing, what's not a good thing is to have a closed mind and a stubborn pride from the get-go. Pride is blinding, and blocks people from truth, and closed-mindedness is only going to make it that much harder to ever learn something new.

1. Sin (Isaiah 59:2, Colossians 1:21)
  2. Pride (Psalm 10:4, James 4:6)
  3. The enemy (2 Corinthians 4:4)
  4. Preoccupation with this world (1 John 2:15, Romans 1:25)

Sometimes I hear nonbelievers say things like "I would like to believe, but I just don't." So for the sake of those who say that with sincerity, I felt it would be worthwhile to point out that certain things can block people from God. Or another way to put it is, there are certain things that are blinding.

This may not be a complete list, so if you're a believer, feel free to add to this list, in case I left anything out.
Yes people can reject God in favor of other choices.

But I personally think the most common reasons people block God is because of the unattractive way God is introduced to them, is demonstrated to them, is characterized to them.

I cannot understand those who belittle and insult believers, who try to destroy the faith of those who believe. I cannot understand that level of hatefulness and meanness.

Certainly those who have demanded there be no religious expression, symbols, art, prayer or whatever not only violate the intent of the Constitution but have made our society one in which people have less opportunity to think about or be curious about God. I think such anti-religious, anti-God mentality is not from a good place.

But I am pretty sure nobody was persuaded to seek God by being told he/she was going to hell or didn't belong to the real church or committed some sin or whatever and some Christians are notorious for driving people away with just that kind of thing.

If you could tell us the source of all this wisdom, great. But be prepared to defend every word you say if as some believers claim, it’s the word of God.

To someone looking for evidence, citing the Bible doesn’t cut it. Great piece of literature, but much in it can’t be defended easily.

I didn't say that the source of all wisdom is a book. The source of all wisdom is the Creator, the source for truth itself, and creation.

If you actually do want to be convinced of God, then I suggest going one step at a time.... one doesn't need to jump ahead to the Bible to understand certain things that are evident in life. But now this is starting to get into that other topic again....which as I said is a topic for a thread of its own.

Yes people can reject God in favor of other choices.

But I personally think the most common reasons people block God is because of the unattractive way God is introduced to them, is demonstrated to them, is characterized to them.

I cannot understand those who belittle and insult believers, who try to destroy the faith of those who believe. I cannot understand that level of hatefulness and meanness.

Certainly those who have demanded there be no religious expression, symbols, art, prayer or whatever not only violate the intent of the Constitution but have made our society one in which people have less opportunity to think about or be curious about God. I think such anti-religious, anti-God mentality is not from a good place.

But I am pretty sure nobody was persuaded to seek God by being told he/she was going to hell or didn't belong to the real church or committed some sin or whatever and some Christians are notorious for driving people away with just that kind of thing.

Yes, very good point. That's something that I think many Christians forget, or don't take seriously enough. I think we all fail at that from time to time, but some Christians really need to learn that without love, we are nothing but a clanging cymbal. And without showing any good fruit, but the opposite (angry, hateful, condemning, finger-pointing, etc) is not going to lead anyone to God. The bible says that the goodness and mercy of God is what leads people to repentance... so that's what the unbelieving world needs to see.

And since I mentioned this, I'll post the passage....

If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

1 Corinthians 13:1-7​

Forum List

Back