Thieves drilling holes in cars to steal gas in Atlanta

This is a good thread topic, because when gas goes way up, $7 or $8, it's sure to spark a crime wave of this sort.
I have to say, I was genuinely surprised no one posted a topic on it. I don't post threads very often. If someone has posted anything remotely close to the subject I want to post on, I will post in another thread. . . . I am a bit lazy that way.

:rolleyes-41:

. .. don't like to clutter the place up with more threads than are necessary.

Bumfuck rural northern MN.
According to court records, an Otter Tail County sheriff's office detective took reports from representatives of College Way Auto and Egge Construction involving catalytic converter thefts on Feb. 23. In each of those reports, the suspect was seen on an early '90s model Polaris snowmobile.

Court records indicated that Dillon admitted to cutting off the catalytic converter on his girlfriend's car. All of the catalytic converter thefts occurred in Otter Tail County. Sale records from January 2021 to January 2022 indicated Dillion sold 155 catalytic converters and 69 car batteries and was paid $54,620.

I had that same thought. And even battery run drills use .... electricity.

And unless you have a fairly high-end drill, with a brushless motor, there are plenty of sparks in the motor. Even in high-end brands, such as DeWalt or Milwaukee, the lower end drills in both brands use old-fashioned electric motors, with brushes and commutators, which means sparks.

Maybe not so dangerous if you use a drill with a brushless motor, but what subhuman thieving piece of shit is going to buy one of those?

I remember people worrying about siphoning, during the last gas scare. It did happen, apparently!

Apparently, more modern cars, in general, are very difficult to siphon from.

I remember having a very difficult time siphoning gasoline out of one 1994 Tempo, with a and engine, to feed into another 1994 Tempo.

Much more recently, I had to do some work on the filler system on a 1997 Contour, and from what I saw as I had it apart, I do not see how one would be able to siphon from it.

I don't know if modern cars are being engineers specifically to make siphoning fuel from them more difficult, or of that's just a side effect of the filler system being designed the way it is for other reasons.

Seems like a lot of trouble for a few dollars' worth of gas.

But then again, small time thieves are stupid people.

Forum List

Back