‘There’s no rain’: Climate change threatens Iraq’s Bedouins

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
The wind whipped relentlessly across the open deserts of Muthanna province as Ali Thajeel moved his camel herd along the rugged plains in search of greenery.

Decades ago, he remembered, April was a time when the sandy soil turned into grazing land to allow his livestock to gain weight ahead of the scorching summer heat. But in recent years, his camels had to make do with scattered patches of scruffy grass.

“There’s no rain, and the land is dry. The grass has turned into desert. We have to sell some animals to buy food for the rest. This is what life has become,” said Thajeel, his kaffiyeh pulled tightly across his face to shield it from the dry, dusty air.

During our two-day trip across Muthanna’s deserts, nomadic herders painted a grim picture of an increasingly uninhabitable environment, where temperature increases and erratic rains have eroded the sustenance of animals and humans alike.

Every so often we win a Bedouin movie and how that lifestyle is changing. I don't want to get into the entire climate change debate personally. Since it can't be determined how long it will take to change the climate with all of these restrictions then there really isn't an argument. However, there was a point that was mentioned here that I am starting to also see in movies involving the Bedouin. The kids don't want to do it anymore. There was an Israeli (I think) movie where the daughter attended college and her boyfriend was also in college. That has to be the biggest driving force behind the changes in that lifestyle.

1619893719939.png

The climate continually changes...

*****SMILE*****

:)

The wind whipped relentlessly across the open deserts of Muthanna province as Ali Thajeel moved his camel herd along the rugged plains in search of greenery.

Decades ago, he remembered, April was a time when the sandy soil turned into grazing land to allow his livestock to gain weight ahead of the scorching summer heat. But in recent years, his camels had to make do with scattered patches of scruffy grass.

“There’s no rain, and the land is dry. The grass has turned into desert. We have to sell some animals to buy food for the rest. This is what life has become,” said Thajeel, his kaffiyeh pulled tightly across his face to shield it from the dry, dusty air.

During our two-day trip across Muthanna’s deserts, nomadic herders painted a grim picture of an increasingly uninhabitable environment, where temperature increases and erratic rains have eroded the sustenance of animals and humans alike.

Every so often we win a Bedouin movie and how that lifestyle is changing. I don't want to get into the entire climate change debate personally. Since it can't be determined how long it will take to change the climate with all of these restrictions then there really isn't an argument. However, there was a point that was mentioned here that I am starting to also see in movies involving the Bedouin. The kids don't want to do it anymore. There was an Israeli (I think) movie where the daughter attended college and her boyfriend was also in college. That has to be the biggest driving force behind the changes in that lifestyle.
This is the nuance of climate change that seems to escape so many people. They think, "Oh well, if we change the climate quickly, people will just move to where the climate is more suitable." It just does not work that way, in the short term. In the short term, people suffer.

This is the nuance of climate change that seems to escape so many people. They think, "Oh well, if we change the climate quickly, people will just move to where the climate is more suitable." It just does not work that way, in the short term. In the short term, people suffer.
This right here is the idiocy of clueless climate crusaders.

Even the initiates of the Climate religion say that climate change is happening on a scale measured in centuries.

So, in the short term, people have ample time to adjust.

What is amusing is the before the crusades against the infidel science followers of the climate crusaders, people faced hard changes in regional climate changes.

Were you aware, that once the Sahara was green and lush and that a shift in the Earth's axis laid waste to all the northern part of that continent? That these changes took centuries and lead the isolated groups and herders into the Nile river basin where the Kingdoms of Egypt finally emerged?

The climate changes. It has been doing so for approx 5 billion years.

The climate continually changes...
Wow! Really?!?!?!

Have you passed this amazing information to the people who have dedicated their lives to studying it and who actually taught you that? Won't they be embarrassed!

:spinner:
1619895095878.png

My grandfather.

I notice the Midwest didn't turn into a desert a hundred years ago like your brain has just within the last decade or so.

*****CHUCKLE*****

Even the initiates of the Climate religion say that climate change is happening on a scale measured in centuries.
Actually, they say it is happening on all time scales. The worry is that we are making some very fast changes that are going to cause problems for humans.

After so much time of this topic being accessible to the public, I should not have to explain that to a functioning, rational adult who is not lobotomized.

Actually, they say it is happening on all time scales. The worry is that we are making some very fast changes that are going to cause problems for humans.

After so much time of this topic being accessible to the public, I should not have to explain that to a functioning, rational adult who is not lobotomized.
The problem is, they cannot prove it is Mankind causing the changes. And they do say in centuries. The whole position is that we are going to raise the global mean temperature 1 degree C by the end of this centure.

Although, none of them can tell us what the actual global temperature is supposed to be.

1619895842226.png

Did you inform Albert Einstein about this new revelation of yours because it might have something to do with his theory of relativity.

Psst!!!... Doc Brown might want to know too...

*****CHUCKLE*****

:cool:

Did you inform Albert Einstein about this new revelation of yours because it might have something to do with his theory of relativity.
Ah, a pathetic little tap dance. Do us a favor and email a climate scientist and tell her the climate is always changing. Please post the response here, so we can all laugh at you.

The problem is, they cannot prove it is Mankind causing the changes.
The fact that we are changing the climate quickly by taking fixed carbon out of the ground and adding it to our environment's carbon cycle is as "proven" as anything can be proven. So you can take that nonsense walking.
LMAO. That 'fixed' carbon is being offset by an explosion in plant life and record increases in agriculture.

After all, it takes a LOT OF PLANTS to feed 8 billion people.

Just give it up.

I will not be giving in to the climate crusade morons. Until they can prove it is mankind, with a repeatable and proven system of testing, it is just more power-grabbing bullshit.

The problem is, they cannot prove it is Mankind causing the changes.
The fact that we are changing the climate quickly by taking fixed carbon out of the ground and adding it to our environment's carbon cycle is as "proven" as anything can be proven. So you can take that nonsense walking.

1619896159237.png

You're absolutely right. We should put those diamonds back where we found them.

*****CHUCKLE*****

LMAO. That 'fixed' carbon is being offset by an explosion in plant life and record increases in agriculture.
No it isn't. We can actually measure that. Now you are just pulling stuff out of your ass. Go find someone else to lie to. Better yet, try to publish an academic research paper on your claims. Post the responses to your attempts, so we can all laugh at you.

The US. military Is preparing for climate change and our intelligence agencies see climate change as a huge national security threat. However, is it any surprise that the couch potato, Cheeto-eating right-wing denier warrior would dispute the military and intelligence community? Of course not. Everything is a conspiracy to those losers.

However, is it any surprise that the couch potato, Cheeto-eating right-wing denier warrior would dispute the military and intelligence community? Of course not.
Right, and it is no mystery why a bunch of uneducated right wing fools are running around denying the scientific knowledge on this topic. We can draw a straight line from Newt Gingrich in the early 90s to this uniquely American phenomenon today.

• Thanks
Reactions: JLW
Ah, a pathetic little tap dance. Do us a favor and email a climate scientist and tell her the climate is always changing. Please post the response here, so we can all laugh at you.

1619896645950.png

So it was all of todays high technology and a warp in the space time continuum from a unresolved integral in a field equation of the Theory Of Relativity that caused the ice age to end.

Does that about sum it up?

*****CHUCKLE*****

So it was all of todays high technology and a warp in the space time continuum from a unresolved integral in a field equation of the Theory Of Relativity that caused the ice age to end.
Do you even remember how to talk without vomiting a useless non sequitur? The fact that this specious fluff is all you have should be a warning to you. But I think that would take a degree of self-introspection that you are just not willing or able to employ.

This right here is the idiocy of clueless climate crusaders.

So, in the short term, people have ample time to adjust.

What is amusing is the before the crusades against the infidel science followers of the climate crusaders, people faced hard changes in regional climate changes.

Were you aware, that once the Sahara was green and lush and that a shift in the Earth's axis laid waste to all the northern part of that continent? That these changes took centuries and lead the isolated groups and herders into the Nile river basin where the Kingdoms of Egypt finally emerged?

The climate changes. It has been doing so for approx 5 billion years.

The Sahara turned into a desert as the glaciers retreated.

Forum List

Back