The truth about Islam

If he lives in the US there is a high chance he left to escape the Muslim domination over there. Most Persians I know here in California are not Muslim.

It might be interesting to ask Perham what he knows about Islam. I'm not sure if Perham is Muslim, but he lives in Iran, and I would think his knowledge would be invaluable.
Perham lives in Iran and is a Shia Muslim.

He is a young university student.

I also knew him from another forum

He has always posted his love for Iran and defends the Islamic religion.

I checked out the Koran but honestly, I just couldn't tackle it. THey had the arabic script on the right pages, English on the left, everything goes backwards...I was like what, I start at the back of the book...do I start on the bottom of the page? I kept it for 3 weeks and decided just to use the internet to look up the things I want to know for now.

I checked out the Koran but honestly, I just couldn't tackle it. THey had the arabic script on the right pages, English on the left, everything goes backwards...I was like what, I start at the back of the book...do I start on the bottom of the page? I kept it for 3 weeks and decided just to use the internet to look up the things I want to know for now.
The Quran is Not in chronological order like the Bible.

Many people make the mistake of trying to read it from start to finish.

If you do you will have a difficult time trying to understand what you are reading.

The Quran is topical and in a random order.

The best way to understand the Quran is to approach it by subject matter.

For instance, if you whated to know about "divorce" in Islam.

Just look in the index for the word "divorce" and all verses that address that subject will be listed.

So then the Quran doesn't form a story like the Bible. Is it a series of quotes and proverbs?

So then the Quran doesn't form a story like the Bible. Is it a series of quotes and proverbs?
No, the Quran doesn't form a story like the Bible and there aren't any quotes or proverbs.

If someone tells me that they want to understand Islam or the Quran.

I tell them about a book that will greatly help them to understand both.

"Muhammad: A Biography of the Prophet" by Karen Armstrong.

It's available at any book store and is an excellent read.

You cannot understand Islam or the Quran without knowing about Muhammad and the events that surrounded his life and how the Quran came about over 20 years of personal revelation.

1. What is the interpretation of the Quran that promotes terrorism?
I think it's the standard 'defend yourself' idea that any person religious or not would understand.I need something better than this, because terrorism is not an act of self defense.

2. What is the interpretation of the Quran that denounces terrorism?
Depends on the definition - struggle against oppression is ok... even if someone else call syou a bad name, like 'terrorist'.I would like a scripture to be referenced, citing who is oppressing them and why those oppressors deserve to be terrorized. Again, not to be confused with self defense or acts of war among soldiers.

3. What qualifies Muhammad to be considered a Prophet?
That, according to the Quran, he was spoken to by God and given a message. Like Moses (also a Prophet in Islam, and Jesus, also a revered prophet).I would like to hear the account of what was said in this message.

4. Who compiled the original Quran?
I think followers/friends of Muhammed... he was illiterate I believe.I would like to know who gave them authority to write the scriptures.

5. What do Muslims believe will happen to "non believers" who die without accepting Islam?
No idea, but I think they get judged on their actions... not whether or not they were believers as much as Christianity for example.I would really like to know the official stance.

6. Why do Muslims believe Jesus was a great prophet, but not the Son of God like he said?
He didn't actually say that, did he?Actually he did. In John 8:57-59. When speaking of Abraham and describing his life the Pharisees questioned him saying,"Thou art not yet 50 years old, and has thou seen Abraham?" Jesus answered, "Verily, verily I say unto you, before Abraham was, I AM." Then the jews took up stones to cast at him, and He hid Himself from them. He claimed to be the great I AM. Blasphemy, the punishment for which was stoning. Why do you think they took up stones to cast at him? In fact most don't believe he is genetically divine, per se.I speak for a lot Christians that believe he was genetically divine.
* Didn't he ask 'God, why has thou forsaken me?' at some pint?Yes Would he have been talking to himself according to Christians? Not Christians like me. I believe he was talking to his Father that was IN heaven at the time.He was pretty hardcore Jewish anyhow, it was John I think that spread the divinity angle to followers...If he was so hardcore Jewish, why were the Pharisees and Saducees "astonished at his doctrine." What is a hardcore Jew? There were differences among them then.

7. What do Muslims believe about the death of innocent children?
Great reward in the next life... same for any who have suffering in this life I think.Sounds good to me, but I would like the official stance

8. What is the real doctrine behind the 72 virgins and how do you qualify to get them?
Ha! No idea.Truly seems to be a taboo subject around here.

9. What is the Islamic rule on Polygamy?
Think it's based on olden times when men were more often killed in wars, etc. So, women would be widows and this was a solution to that, they would have home/food/cared for/etc.Sounds good to me, but what is the justification nowadays? Official stance desired.

10. Once you achieve paradise, then what?
Another good question... for any religion. I would suppose that is 'it'.Truly wondering as well.

As a non-Muslim - these are my best answers (gleaned from arguing with someone who is Muslim a few years ago).

:doubt:

Doubt? uh, ok?

Anyhow, those were my best guesses based on chatting with religious people... that's all. As for terrorism not being self-defence, it could be or it mightnot be... like anything. For example, if using lawful means fail to help, some turn to unlawful means to deter agressors... which can be called terrorism if they employ certain tactics. Self-defense not being immediate, but longer term as in changing another nation's policy toward you (as opposed to just stopping an attack in the present). If that makes sense?

Like Israel could say they are defending themselves by destroying a rocket launching group of militants (present self-defense) or by destroying enough infrastructure to make the militants change their policy of attack (long term self -defense) for example...

1. What is the interpretation of the Quran that promotes terrorism?
I think it's the standard 'defend yourself' idea that any person religious or not would understand.I need something better than this, because terrorism is not an act of self defense.

2. What is the interpretation of the Quran that denounces terrorism?
Depends on the definition - struggle against oppression is ok... even if someone else call syou a bad name, like 'terrorist'.I would like a scripture to be referenced, citing who is oppressing them and why those oppressors deserve to be terrorized. Again, not to be confused with self defense or acts of war among soldiers.

3. What qualifies Muhammad to be considered a Prophet?
That, according to the Quran, he was spoken to by God and given a message. Like Moses (also a Prophet in Islam, and Jesus, also a revered prophet).I would like to hear the account of what was said in this message.

4. Who compiled the original Quran?
I think followers/friends of Muhammed... he was illiterate I believe.I would like to know who gave them authority to write the scriptures.

5. What do Muslims believe will happen to "non believers" who die without accepting Islam?
No idea, but I think they get judged on their actions... not whether or not they were believers as much as Christianity for example.I would really like to know the official stance.

6. Why do Muslims believe Jesus was a great prophet, but not the Son of God like he said?
He didn't actually say that, did he?Actually he did. In John 8:57-59. When speaking of Abraham and describing his life the Pharisees questioned him saying,"Thou art not yet 50 years old, and has thou seen Abraham?" Jesus answered, "Verily, verily I say unto you, before Abraham was, I AM." Then the jews took up stones to cast at him, and He hid Himself from them. He claimed to be the great I AM. Blasphemy, the punishment for which was stoning. Why do you think they took up stones to cast at him? In fact most don't believe he is genetically divine, per se.I speak for a lot Christians that believe he was genetically divine.
* Didn't he ask 'God, why has thou forsaken me?' at some pint?Yes Would he have been talking to himself according to Christians? Not Christians like me. I believe he was talking to his Father that was IN heaven at the time.He was pretty hardcore Jewish anyhow, it was John I think that spread the divinity angle to followers...If he was so hardcore Jewish, why were the Pharisees and Saducees "astonished at his doctrine." What is a hardcore Jew? There were differences among them then.

7. What do Muslims believe about the death of innocent children?
Great reward in the next life... same for any who have suffering in this life I think.Sounds good to me, but I would like the official stance

8. What is the real doctrine behind the 72 virgins and how do you qualify to get them?
Ha! No idea.Truly seems to be a taboo subject around here.

9. What is the Islamic rule on Polygamy?
Think it's based on olden times when men were more often killed in wars, etc. So, women would be widows and this was a solution to that, they would have home/food/cared for/etc.Sounds good to me, but what is the justification nowadays? Official stance desired.

10. Once you achieve paradise, then what?
Another good question... for any religion. I would suppose that is 'it'.Truly wondering as well.

As a non-Muslim - these are my best answers (gleaned from arguing with someone who is Muslim a few years ago).

:doubt:

Doubt? uh, ok?

Anyhow, those were my best guesses based on chatting with religious people... that's all. As for terrorism not being self-defence, it could be or it mightnot be... like anything. For example, if using lawful means fail to help, some turn to unlawful means to deter agressors... which can be called terrorism if they employ certain tactics. Self-defense not being immediate, but longer term as in changing another nation's policy toward you (as opposed to just stopping an attack in the present). If that makes sense?

Like Israel could say they are defending themselves by destroying a rocket launching group of militants (present self-defense) or by destroying enough infrastructure to make the militants change their policy of attack (long term self -defense) for example...

Sorry I didn't mean doubt by that face, more like I thought the face meant more frustrated and unsatisfied. instead. Thanks for your answer though. It wasn't personal.

Forum List

Back