The supervolcano that may have killed off Europe’s Neanderthals is stirring again

Didn't you know that liberals are humorless bastards...bitter at the entire world...and the only thing that makes them smile is causing others to be as miserable as themselves?

That explains all the late night TV hosts.

OK a question... why didn't Mann's hockey stick graph record it?

The supervolcano that may have killed off Europe's Neanderthals is stirring again - ExtremeTech

The supervolcano that may have killed off Europe’s Neanderthals is stirring again

Joel Hruska on December 22, 2016 at 3:26 pm

The Phlegraean Fields (Italian: Campi Flegrei) are a series of craters and volcanic areas located near Naples, Italy. Like the Yellowstone caldera in the United States, the Phlegraean Fields have previously demonstrated a capacity for titanic eruptions. In antiquity, the Romans believed that the god Vulcan lived inside the Solfatara crater within the Phlegraean Fields, and that the jets of steam and sulfurous gases that still emerge from the dormant volcano were driven by the workings of his forge. There’s even archaeological evidence suggesting that a Phlegraean eruption some 37,000 to 39,000 years ago was so massive, it may have killed large segments of the extant Neanderthal population, either directly or by causing a volcanic winter. Now, the massive supervolcano is showing signs of awakening.

The Phlegraean Fields occupy a unique position in volcanology. In 1538, an eruption created Italy’s Monte Nuovo, a 1,500-foot cinder cone volcano, over a period of just six days. This was the first time the creation of a volcano was observed in the historical record. Many of the Italians living in the area at the time left detailed records of the multi-stage eruption sequence and the observed behavior of the volcano itself. In the 18th century, King Charles of Naples conducted excavations in the nearby town of Pozzuoli and uncovered an unusual set of columns that (eventually) rewrote our understanding of geology.

Let's see... MBH 99

2005.01.30_Hockeystick_IPCC_1.gif

Lower end, 1000 BP

Volcanic event you think should have been on this graph: 37,000 - 39,000 BP

Does that answer your question or do you need a more basic explanation?

If AGW via CO2 gets killed off you can always use the cellphone stats as another hockey stick correlation. It fits even better and starts taking off at the right time as well:
Year-end-2004-Estimated-Wireless-Subscribers.jpg

No question here if it was man made or not

Did you miss the post where we noted that MBH-99 ends at 1000 BP while the volcanic event jc was looking to see there took place 37-38,000 BP?

That wasn't jc. I know, all the various morons kind of blend together.

Ding reminds me of jc, a technician who thinks of himself as the man who knows more than all the world's scientists combined. They've got some crazy bad narcissism problems, most deniers.

I wasn't old enough to be aware during the Missile Crisis. I did serve on a cruiser that usually played radar picket for the carrier task force. If the Soviets had sent a hundred-bomber raid, we were dead. We were the sacrifice that warned the carrier group to scramble the F-14s.

I was very aware during the Cuban Missile Crisis. On base and in uniform on the day that we stopped the Soviet ships off of Cuba. A calculated risk, an act of war. But it created the opportunity to end the Crisis, and establish a way not to let such situations get out of hand. Still, the memory of spending a day wondering if I would see the flash of the bomb that killed is something that definetely stays with me.

Ding reminds me of jc, a technician who thinks of himself as the man who knows more than all the world's scientists combined. They've got some crazy bad narcissism problems, most deniers.

I wasn't old enough to be aware during the Missile Crisis. I did serve on a cruiser that usually played radar picket for the carrier task force. If the Soviets had sent a hundred-bomber raid, we were dead. We were the sacrifice that warned the carrier group to scramble the F-14s.
I know just enough to question herd mentality and spot a phoney when I see one.

OK a question... why didn't Mann's hockey stick graph record it?

The supervolcano that may have killed off Europe's Neanderthals is stirring again - ExtremeTech

Joel Hruska on December 22, 2016 at 3:26 pm

The Phlegraean Fields (Italian: Campi Flegrei) are a series of craters and volcanic areas located near Naples, Italy. Like the Yellowstone caldera in the United States, the Phlegraean Fields have previously demonstrated a capacity for titanic eruptions. In antiquity, the Romans believed that the god Vulcan lived inside the Solfatara crater within the Phlegraean Fields, and that the jets of steam and sulfurous gases that still emerge from the dormant volcano were driven by the workings of his forge. There’s even archaeological evidence suggesting that a Phlegraean eruption some 37,000 to 39,000 years ago was so massive, it may have killed large segments of the extant Neanderthal population, either directly or by causing a volcanic winter. Now, the massive supervolcano is showing signs of awakening.

The Phlegraean Fields occupy a unique position in volcanology. In 1538, an eruption created Italy’s Monte Nuovo, a 1,500-foot cinder cone volcano, over a period of just six days. This was the first time the creation of a volcano was observed in the historical record. Many of the Italians living in the area at the time left detailed records of the multi-stage eruption sequence and the observed behavior of the volcano itself. In the 18th century, King Charles of Naples conducted excavations in the nearby town of Pozzuoli and uncovered an unusual set of columns that (eventually) rewrote our understanding of geology.

Let's see... MBH 99

2005.01.30_Hockeystick_IPCC_1.gif

Lower end, 1000 BP

Volcanic event you think should have been on this graph: 37,000 - 39,000 BP

Does that answer your question or do you need a more basic explanation?

If AGW via CO2 gets killed off you can always use the cellphone stats as another hockey stick correlation. It fits even better and starts taking off at the right time as well:
Year-end-2004-Estimated-Wireless-Subscribers.jpg

No question here if it was man made or not
The Mann Graph has been replicated more than a dozen times by independent investigators. The National Academy of Science graph, even though they disagreed with some of Mann's stastitical methods, came out virtually the same as Mann's. The deniers hate it because it shows at a glance what we are creating for our children and grandchildren.

LOL Looking in the mirror again? Look, when I hear someone start in on that theme that most of the scientists in the world are money grubbing phonies, I know immediatly that is what they are, phoney. And that well describes you, Dingleberry. LOL

LOL Looking in the mirror again? Look, when I hear someone start in on that theme that most of the scientists in the world are money grubbing phonies, I know immediatly that is what they are, phoney. And that well describes you, Dingleberry. LOL
Nope. I have done my own due diligence. You are shitting your pants over nothing.

Mamooth and Old Rocks have you pinned to a T.
There are only three religious fanatics posting on global warming; you, Mamooth and Old Rocks. When it is all said and done, you three will be telling us how you knew that AGW was a social cause driven by political purposes.

Dingleberry, social causes don't melt the glaciers and snow fields in the three mountain ranges that I have observed since the '60's. You flap yap with graphs that have little meaning for the present, and misread, repeatedly, the slope of the lines, yet ignore the obvious fact that we are observing a very rapid warm up. When we should be seeing a slow cool down.

At the meetings of the AGU and the GSA, you don't hear the nonsense that you spew. In fact, if you go to the video's from the AGU meetings, you hear the real experts, real scientists, explaining what the issues are. But you will not do that. You are the asshole driven by your political ideologies, not we who listen to the scientists.

Dingleberry, social causes don't melt the glaciers and snow fields in the three mountain ranges that I have observed since the '60's. You flap yap with graphs that have little meaning for the present, and misread, repeatedly, the slope of the lines, yet ignore the obvious fact that we are observing a very rapid warm up. When we should be seeing a slow cool down.

At the meetings of the AGU and the GSA, you don't hear the nonsense that you spew. In fact, if you go to the video's from the AGU meetings, you hear the real experts, real scientists, explaining what the issues are. But you will not do that. You are the asshole driven by your political ideologies, not we who listen to the scientists.
Interglacial cycles do, dumbass.

Forum List

Back