The Olympics and its narratives

frigidweirdo

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2014

Came across this article from someone who competed in the 2012 Olympics. It shows a general opinion about the Olympics that shows that people think the Olympics is, or was, something great, and also that the Olympics gets used for political narratives.

"Whereas some sports thrive on being flashy or glamorous, the Olympics survive on being an embodiment of their principles."

She claims the Olympics is based on "principles". Which is a bit weird. I mean, 1980 and 1984 the Olympics were massively political, in the USSR and the US. The two biggest problems in the world at that time. Invasion of Afghanistan from the USSR, the meddling in foreign affairs from both sides, Vietnam, Korea, loads of places in Africa and Latin America.

Really the Olympic committee will give the games to anyone with enough money to bribe them whatever they call it. LA got the 2028 Olympics. The US has done far more harm in the world than China at this point, Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, Libya.

Russia got the the 2014 Winter Olympics. They're the second worst.

Then there's the buying of Olympic medals. It's pretty obvious China has done this. From one Olympic medal last time, to 9 this time. China had more Golds than Bronze and Silver put together. Which is weird, as every country that got more than 3 medals, got more bronze and silver together than they got gold.

But the UK, US and Russia have been buying medals for a while. Nothing new. The East Germans were prolific with drugging up their athletes to win in the past, for nationalistic reasons, of course.

"But the Olympic spirit is slowly being eroded, something that has been plain to see at Beijing 2022."

Which brings us to this "Olympic spirit". No, it's not vodka. It's more like some kind of performance enhancing drug. Russia get kicked out of the Olympics, and yet finished 9th in this winter Olympics. Huh? How do you get kicked out, and still perform? Not only that, they had an athlete who tested positive and was still allowed to compete.

The "Olympic spirit" is spelled "Money, money, money and more money". They don't care about any spirit. It's all about professionals out running, out performing the amateurs in most sports, except boxing, which they're getting rid of because.... it doesn't bring in money????

“The good news is the Games are salvageable, and that’s because people still care. The moment people stop caring is the time it becomes critical but, for now at least, there is still a love for the Olympics that is unmatched by anything else in the sporting world.” ibid

You wouldn’t know it from this thread.

“The good news is the Games are salvageable, and that’s because people still care. The moment people stop caring is the time it becomes critical but, for now at least, there is still a love for the Olympics that is unmatched by anything else in the sporting world.” ibid

You wouldn’t know it from this thread.

I think people are interested in the Olympics, but mostly because of a narrative or a belief that it means something. The problem is, it doesn't mean that. Which is the problem.

The Olympic “narrative” is summed up by the treatment of a 15 year old young female skater. The Russians abused that kid. I believe that she, herself, is too young to blame. But her coaches and doctors and the Russian Olympic apparatus screwed her over for the sake of a win. They got caught. And she got tossed out like garbage by them as a result.

The Olympic “narrative” is summed up by the treatment of a 15 year old young female skater. The Russians abused that kid. I believe that she, herself, is too young to blame. But her coaches and doctors and the Russian Olympic apparatus screwed her over for the sake of a win. They got caught. And she got tossed out like garbage by them as a result.
The above is just another narrative.

She may well have take the drug in error as she claimed.

The above is just another narrative.

She may well have take the drug in error as she claimed.

along with two other "legal" drugs of the same kind. None of which are really good for the heart of a prepubescent child

I remember LOVING the olympics when I was a kid and young adult. This year I didn't watch at all. I stopped caring when athletes started promoting their political opinions on the podium and in adds and on social media.

People dont watch you so they can be force fed your politics. They watch you to see if you can jump farther, run faster, or score more points than anyone else!!!!!!!!!

along with two other "legal" drugs of the same kind. None of which are really good for the heart of a prepubescent child
Here's the deal:

We are not her physicians.

We have no idea what underlying health conditions she may be dealing with, or how heroic her actions may be in relation to them.

What we do know is that a group of hysterical adults took it upon themselves to bully, shame and attack a 15 year old girl with wild and repulsive narratives based on nothing more than ginned up hatred of Russia and its alleged wickedness.

The result was predictable, and that was the breaking of this young girls spirit.

Anyone who participated in that should be ashamed.

But if our country is seeking scandals to wag it's collective finger at, and evils to excoriate, the absolutely horrendous history of US women's gymnastics fit the bill to perfection.

Easily the greatest and most tragic scandal in the history of modern sport, it is by infinite magnitudes more repugnant, tragic and shameful than what MAY have occurred with this young Russian skater.

I genuinely pity anyone who cannot grasp, or ay least grapple with, these realities.

I don't watch golf, it's a snob man's game. I don't watch NASCAR. That's a brain dead kind of something. I don't watch the Olympics. So I don't ascribe to those US customs

I am an Olympics junkie, I always look forward to them and watch more than most people.

But the article in the OP is on to something. This years Olympics was just "off". From the opening ceremony on it just never had the feel and the buzz of past Olympics.

But I did watch a ton of it and most of the competition was still amazing. The American getting silver in the 30k cross county ski was so cool. Slovenia taking the mixed ski jump event by more than 100 points was so fun to watch.

But from the whole figure skating debacle to the very suspicious DQs in speed skating that gave China places in the finals there was just more outside noise than normal.

I hope Paris can turn this around.

Forum List

Back