The need for a museum on British colonisation of India

Vikrant

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2013
The U.S.
This is a great idea because there is a vast number of people who have a tendency of glorifying British empire.

---

I recently wrote to the government of India to propose that one of India's most renowned heritage buildings, the Victoria Memorial in Kolkata, be converted into a museum that displays the truth of the British Raj - a museum, in other words, to colonial atrocities.

This famous monument, built between 1906 and 1921, stands testimony to the glorification of the British Raj in India. It is time, I argued, that it be converted to serve as a reminder of what was done to India by the British, who conquered one of the richest countries in the world (27 percent of global gross domestic product in 1700) and reduced it to, after over two centuries of looting and exploitation, one of the poorest, most diseased and most illiterate countries on Earth by the time they left in 1947.

This is a great idea because there is a vast number of people who have a tendency of glorifying British empire.

---

I recently wrote to the government of India to propose that one of India's most renowned heritage buildings, the Victoria Memorial in Kolkata, be converted into a museum that displays the truth of the British Raj - a museum, in other words, to colonial atrocities.

This famous monument, built between 1906 and 1921, stands testimony to the glorification of the British Raj in India. It is time, I argued, that it be converted to serve as a reminder of what was done to India by the British, who conquered one of the richest countries in the world (27 percent of global gross domestic product in 1700) and reduced it to, after over two centuries of looting and exploitation, one of the poorest, most diseased and most illiterate countries on Earth by the time they left in 1947.

A Nation Starts Dying When Dynasty Becomes Destiny

If India had eliminated its caste system, worse even than ours, it never would have been conquered. So it deserved everything that happened to it. Its lower-caste soldiers had nothing to fight for.

Hereditary rights are the cancer that has destroyed all civilizations. Familyism is even more primitive than tribalism.

Forum List

Back