The Most Miserable Cities In America

Doesn't California pay twice as much to the Federal Government as the next closest state? Texas?

CA had 8 cities on that list, TX had 0.

A list that was like one thing. Texas has some of the most polluted cities in the nation. And the number one "most fat" city. Good combination. Fat people, bad air and no insurance.

Again, CA tops the list.

1. Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside, Calif.
2. Bakersfield-Delano, Calif.
3. Visalia-Porterville, Calif.
4. Fresno-Madera, Calif.
5. Sacramento-Arden-Arcade-Yuba City, Calif.-Nev.
6. Hanford-Corcoran, Calif.
7. San Diego-Carlsbad-San arcos, Calif.
8. Houston-Baytown-Huntsville, Texas
9. Merced, Calif.

America's Most Polluted Cities - Forbes.com

Damn, TX doesn't hit the list until we get to 8, and it follows 7 CA cities.

If you ever visit the city, ask someone where the next 2nd line is. There's one every Sunday except in the dead of summer. You can BYOB or buy it from the unlicensed vendors that follow the parade.

My friend said you can pretty much drink anywhere in New Orleans.

The only no-no is taking a glass container outside. So every bar has a "to go cup".

But yeah, anytime, anyplace, anywhere.

Thats my kind of place.:razz:

It's a great city. Lord knows, it has it's problems, but there is no where else like it in the United States. You can't say that about many places. Maybe NYC, San Fran, LA, Chicago, after that, the cities all just start to blur together.

San Francisco and LA are nice but way too expensive man, some of these clubs have dress codes that require you to dress like you are going for a job interview and a $30 entrance fee, and than they have the nerve not to serve Hennessy.:evil: I was denied entrance to a club in Sacramento because I was wearing a blue plad shirt and the guy told me thats a shirt worn by a local Crips gang there, fuck that. Down south you can have a lot of fun and its easy on your wallet. I would put New Orleans over any city in California, hands down.

Oh yeah, I had to laugh at your "too expensive" comment. There is a *somewhat famous* local bar called Ms. Maes in New Orleans. It's a total dive bar, but Mae who will sit in the bar from time to time, fancies it as a classy drinking establishment. She almost booted me out a few times for cussing too loud in front of her card club (I imagine). At any rate, the bar is known for it's "dollar well drinks".

Recently, Mae sold out and there was a near riot because the drink prices went up to.... $2.

Drink prices go up at Ms. Mae's bar in New Orleans | NOLA.com

Of course, they are making them with the cheapest booze in the bottle, so you will be hung-the-fuck-over the next day.

$2? man that sounds awesome, I was paying $9-$10 for drinks out there in California, as well as a $20-$30 cover charge, and that doesn't even take into account if you have to pay for parking. I can see why California is in such bad shape, everything is so damn expensive.

Color me stunned. I thought for sure Detroit would be #1.

The most miserable cities in America, according to Brookings, of course! The think tank combined every major U.S. city's unemployment rate, level of employment, gross metropolitan product and housing prices to create an index of utter wretchedness.

Read more: The Most Miserable Cities In America
Wow - they could have just asked people if they were miserable or happy? Seems a like more direct to do it that way! I live in the supposedly #20 most miserable city, and sorry, I'm not miserable. I can drink in the streets, go to LSU games just down the road on Saturdays, and 2nd line on Sundays - hard to be miserable. Plus living here has the added benefit that friends and family are always visiting.

I actually live in one of the cities on that list (SF) and don't think it deserves to be there either. It could be better, but I could name 20 cities worse than it without trying.

I think its absurd that they equate economic data with emotional state. If they want to make a list of the most miserable cities they could just ask people if they are miserable - or maybe spend a little time talking to them. If they had done that - New York City would have been at the top of the list.

Louisiana Happiest State In America: New York Saddest (Full List) | NowPublic News Coverage

And the trend seems to be the cities that rely most on tourism would have the worst numbers when the economy is bad.

I love how the picture of New Orleans is of the "Red Dress Run" with the dude passed out on the sidewalk. Those of us who love the city simply will continue to not give a damn about what other people think and live our lives in the NOLA way (when we get back there).

I've only ever met one person who didn't like it here. He moved here just after Katrina from some far away Yankee state, so I could definitely understand that.

There's definitely a lot of economic hurt here - but the people here seem to have ways to cope with it better than in other places. Regular dancing in the streets helps.

I was there for 7 years total. Four for undergrad at Tulane and then I went back to Tulane in July '05 to take my pre-med requirements. Even with Katrina, I loved it down there. I would love to return down there to do my residency. Great, great city.

Hope you're able to get back - they are building two new hospitals here so maybe you can.

I want to dance in the streets.:razz:

If you ever visit the city, ask someone where the next 2nd line is. There's one every Sunday except in the dead of summer. You can BYOB or buy it from the unlicensed vendors that follow the parade.

My friend said you can pretty much drink anywhere in New Orleans.

Oh yes. All the bars have these things called "Go-Cups" - if you want to leave a bar before your drink is done, you ask for a go-cup, pour your drink into it - and go! )

Technically open containers are not legal outside of the French Quarter - but this law is virtually NEVER enforced. Many people live here their entire lives unaware that its actually a misdemeanor to drink outside the quarter. There are numerous unenforced laws on the books here - loud music after 7 pm, unlicensed street vending, etc.

If you do come down, please, spend as little time on Bourbon St. as possible. Its something you'd definitely want to check out if its your first time, but the music is better, the drinks stronger and cheaper, the patrons less obnoxiously hammered, and the streets are cleaner in other parts of the city.

It's a great city. Lord knows, it has it's problems, but there is no where else like it in the United States. You can't say that about many places. Maybe NYC, San Fran, LA, Chicago, after that, the cities all just start to blur together.

San Francisco and LA are nice but way too expensive man, some of these clubs have dress codes that require you to dress like you are going for a job interview and a $30 entrance fee, and than they have the nerve not to serve Hennessy.:evil: I was denied entrance to a club in Sacramento because I was wearing a blue plad shirt and the guy told me thats a shirt worn by a local Crips gang there, fuck that. Down south you can have a lot of fun and its easy on your wallet. I would put New Orleans over any city in California, hands down.

Oh yeah, I had to laugh at your "too expensive" comment. There is a *somewhat famous* local bar called Ms. Maes in New Orleans. It's a total dive bar, but Mae who will sit in the bar from time to time, fancies it as a classy drinking establishment. She almost booted me out a few times for cussing too loud in front of her card club (I imagine). At any rate, the bar is known for it's "dollar well drinks".

Recently, Mae sold out and there was a near riot because the drink prices went up to.... $2.

Drink prices go up at Ms. Mae's bar in New Orleans | NOLA.com

Of course, they are making them with the cheapest booze in the bottle, so you will be hung-the-fuck-over the next day.

Ever go to the oyster bar a couple doors down - Casamento's? Love that place.

I remember the $1 Dixie drafts at Nick's bar. It was always a perfect place to round out Mardi Gras or any long celebration because for $20 you and a friend could get hammered. seems like a lot of underage drinkers and off-duty NOPD hung out there.

Really? You can't at all?

Well I know people that live in those places, I can't remember the last time any of them told me they were miserable.

Apparently the people who made the list didn't ask them, either.

Its a bit like looking at a fat man and concluding that since he is overweight, he must be miserable.

No doubt, I am surprised Cleveland is not on that list. High unemployment, high crime rates, cold ass weather and abandoned factories everywhere, I have a friend who lives there and cannot get a job for shit. There is no way people in Cleveland are happier than folks in Miami or New Orleans.

Color me stunned. I thought for sure Detroit would be #1.

Me too. I was expecting places like E.St.Louis, IL and Camden, NJ!!!

Things sure have gone topsy-turvy in our country.

Maybe that's the point. It's more about places that used to be pretty good, that aren't anymore, rather than places that always sucked.

Maybe we think places like Detroit and Cleveland suck, but the residents there are happier than we think? after all if you were born and raised in Detroit, you wouldn't think it is that bad because it is all you know. You are only miserable if you have been to places that are better off.

Forum List

Back