The legacy of black boxing legend Joe Louis’ loss to Nazi German Max Schmeling on Juneteenth, which Jimmy Carter calls one of his most vivid memories

basquebromance

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2015
This much-anticipated bout between Louis, only the second black heavyweight champion, and Schmeling, Germany's most successful boxer and the only man to beat Louis, created extraordinary excitement across the world. This was no ordinary prizefight. “The state of the . . . nation or the world can invest a sporting event with dramatic intensity such as is reached in few theatres,” historian C. L. R. James noted. “When the democrat Joe Louis fought the Nazi Schmeling the bout became a focus of approaching world conflict.” While Germans hoped that “Unser Max” would vindicate their nation in the eyes of the world, African Americans entrusted “Our Joe” to knock out this representative of white supremacy.

Juneteenth is the most ludicrous of all things. A day with NO national meaning.

Back in the day we kids learned about Juneteenth because it was taught in Texas history class at school.
Around 20 years ago I was doing a contract engineering job up north.
There were several black guys on the crew and the next day was June 19th.
So I ask if any of them were taking off work tomorrow for the holiday? Because I needed to figure out the manpower schedule.
They all looked at me and said, what holiday?
Come to find out they'd never heard of Juneteenth and didn't care about what happened in Texas, and weren't about to miss a day's pay.

It was just a few years ago, the basically unknown Juneteenth story was suddenly all over the national media, and was a big deal that had to be celebrated. ... :laugh: :laugh:

This much-anticipated bout between Louis, only the second black heavyweight champion, and Schmeling, Germany's most successful boxer and the only man to beat Louis, created extraordinary excitement across the world. This was no ordinary prizefight. “The state of the . . . nation or the world can invest a sporting event with dramatic intensity such as is reached in few theatres,” historian C. L. R. James noted. “When the democrat Joe Louis fought the Nazi Schmeling the bout became a focus of approaching world conflict.” While Germans hoped that “Unser Max” would vindicate their nation in the eyes of the world, African Americans entrusted “Our Joe” to knock out this representative of white supremacy.

Joe Louis actually campaigned to support Republican party candidates, as did other prominent black athletes from his era, such as Jackie Robinson and Jesse Owens.

Unlike Robinson and Owens, Joe could barely read or write, and likely had no understanding of political platforms.

It is the day set aside to celebrate the end of slavery. I'd say that has a profound national meaning.
It may be serious, however the longer this goes on the more comical it seems to be getting. It is like we are forced to endure agenda after agenda with endless resources spent for moderate results. So now we lower standards. Which is an insult to African Americans who excel. The ghettos will never be reduced let alone end with the agendas as they are.

Forum List

Back