The Fake News of Dangerous Police Stops.

IM2

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 11, 2015
Jordan Woods did a 10-year study of police stops and it is considered one of the most in depth that has been done. The findings were published in 2019 and is available at the Michigan Law Review repository website. Here are his words:

"To summarize, the findings do not support the dominant danger narrative surrounding routine traffic stops. Based on a conservative estimate, I found that the rate for a felonious killing of an officer during a routine traffic stop for a traffic violation was only 1 in every 6.5 million stops. The rate for an assault that results in serious injury to an officer was only 1 in every 361,111 stops. Finally, the rate for an assault (whether it results in officer injury or not) was only 1 in every 6,959 stops. Less conservative estimates suggest that these rates may be much lower. In addition, the vast majority (over 98%) of the evaluated cases in the study resulted in no or minor injuries to the officers. Further, only a very small percentage of cases (about 3%) involved violence against officers in which a gun or knife was used or found at the scene, and the overwhelming majority of those cases resulted in no or minor injuries to an officer. Less than 1% of the evaluated cases involved guns or knives and resulted in serious injury to or the felonious killing of an officer."

The findings speak for themselves. The real threat level to police appears to be less than the authority to kill police have been given.

The title needed to be worded differently. I took it to mean dangerous for the person being stopped.

If that was the case, then yes.........they are dangerous. Especially to young girls driving alone in the city of Mesquite, Texas.

And in the U.S. it is more of a risk to get hit by a bolt of lightning that to be shot by a police officer.

Does this negate officers experiences? I've watched Live PD religiously, and without fail, every episode, a suspect would do something very sketchy that required swift action on the part of the officer. Deadly force was used when shots were being fired at an officer while on traffic stop in one episode (I think that was a spinoff show about dashcams).

The problem is, it all comes down to how an officer reacts to a situation. You would react differently than I would if a high stress situation hit is both. Is it a bad thing? Maybe. That's why it is a good idea to train officers to react a certain way that keeps both the officer, and the individual safe.

And in the U.S. it is more of a risk to get hit by a bolt of lightning that to be shot by a police officer.

Does this negate officers experiences? I've watched Live PD religiously, and without fail, every episode, a suspect would do something very sketchy that required swift action on the part of the officer. Deadly force was used when shots were being fired at an officer while on traffic stop in one episode (I think that was a spinoff show about dashcams).

The problem is, it all comes down to how an officer reacts to a situation. You would react differently than I would if a high stress situation hit is both. Is it a bad thing? Maybe. That's why it is a good idea to train officers to react a certain way that keeps both the officer, and the individual safe.
Live PD. Come on. Reality TV. Unreal.

Forum List

Back