The epipen can go to hell and take Mylan with it

Old Rocks

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2008
Portland, Ore.
The brouhaha about the EpiPen is ridiculous. Before EpiPen we had an ampoule of epinephrine for $5 and a tuberculin or insulin syringe for $1 together in a baggie. Emergency happens, pop the ampoule and draw contents into the syringe in 15 seconds. Inject into any skin on the patient. Call 911 and get the patient to the ER.

Every person who is subject to the problem should have the baggie in a fanny pack. Total cost is $6.

Let the EpiPen bandit sit with his overpriced stock. The ampule of epinephrine and syringe is available today with physician prescription.

Canada is allowing oppressed impoverished Americans to buy generics, but you have to travel there

Read the OP! Totally correct, you are paying for the convenience of the dispenser. If you have this problem the cost is a few dollars.
You'll have to learn how to inject but that is not rocket science, diabetics do it every day.

1. Adrenaclick
  2. Adrenalin
  3. Adrenalin Chloride
  4. Auvi-Q
  5. Epipen
  6. Epipen Jr
  7. Twinject
brands in the US

Mylan does not have a monopoly

Epinephrine; L-Adrenaline; Adrenaline; L-epinephrine; Adrenalin; Levoepinephrine;

other names

Adrenaclick injector (2 pack) pen $144.62
Free with discount

Print this card for 1 package (2 auto-injectors) of epinephrine 0.3mg
Double that and I could easily pay the electric bill. That is still too f'ing much.

buy one get one free, you end up paying $36.16 per pen

It can save your life

Mylan should be sued by those who need these pens.
Look you may have thirty-six dollars per pen for two pens I don't but I could probably pick up enough pop cans to come up with six dollars.

My granddaughter is allergic to peanuts. When my daughter told me the epipen story I couldn't believe it. When gas stations collude to rip off the consumer, you can charge them with price gouging. And you can't do this with a drug? But the govt has no problem fining me if I don't get the taxes in by the fifthteenth. The system is broken.

The brouhaha about the EpiPen is ridiculous. Before EpiPen we had an ampoule of epinephrine for $5 and a tuberculin or insulin syringe for $1 together in a baggie. Emergency happens, pop the ampoule and draw contents into the syringe in 15 seconds. Inject into any skin on the patient. Call 911 and get the patient to the ER.

Every person who is subject to the problem should have the baggie in a fanny pack. Total cost is $6.

Let the EpiPen bandit sit with his overpriced stock. The ampule of epinephrine and syringe is available today with physician prescription.
Did congress pay for these to be in the schools? I wonder if anyone has checked that aspect of their legislation for the education dept. to make sure epipens where in all the schools?

My granddaughter is allergic to peanuts. When my daughter told me the epipen story I couldn't believe it. When gas stations collude to rip off the consumer, you can charge them with price gouging. And you can't do this with a drug? But the govt has no problem fining me if I don't get the taxes in by the fifthteenth. The system is broken.
The system is absolutely broken. There is a drug that has been used for years for lymphoma in animals. It is very effective in putting that cancer in remission for a long time. Recently, it was approved for human use. Overnight it tripled in price. However, it can be purchased in Canada for less than the original price. Big Pharma is ripping Americans off in a major way, and they care nothing about the needs of their fellow Americans. They do not seek to make a profit, they seek to make a killing. And they are, killing Americans that cannot afford their criminal price increases.

Free with discount

Double that and I could easily pay the electric bill. That is still too f'ing much.

It can save your life

Look you may have thirty-six dollars per pen for two pens I don't but I could probably pick up enough pop cans to come up with six dollars.

that is for four pens

$144.62 for two
0 for two

$144.62 for four

$36.16 per pen

$600 to mylan is outrageous ($300 per pen)
$36.16 is well within an acceptable range.

Some insurance will charge from $0-10 per refill

My neighbor, who is on disability, was paying over $1000 for a stomach medicine each month till I started making a natural alternative for her. She began taking both and gradually reduced her dose till she stopped taking it at all, and no more bleeding.

If you don't want to pay for an epipen type, go for the sublingual tablets ($10 a pill) or ampules for $5

If you complain about a price, do the research and find an alternative

Epipen or not, the person with anaphylaxis still needs to go to the ER and that can cost an arm and a leg.

At some point you need to decide how much is a life worth to you.

Did congress pay for these to be in the schools? I wonder if anyone has checked that aspect of their legislation for the education dept. to make sure epipens where in all the schools?

Paramedics will carry epipens but students need to supply any meds they might have to take during school and leave in nurses office. Students cannot administer their own meds.

Free with discount

It can save your life

that is for four pens

$144.62 for two
0 for two

$144.62 for four

$36.16 per pen

$600 to mylan is outrageous ($300 per pen)
$36.16 is well within an acceptable range.

Some insurance will charge from $0-10 per refill

My neighbor, who is on disability, was paying over $1000 for a stomach medicine each month till I started making a natural alternative for her. She began taking both and gradually reduced her dose till she stopped taking it at all, and no more bleeding.

If you don't want to pay for an epipen type, go for the sublingual tablets ($10 a pill) or ampules for $5

If you complain about a price, do the research and find an alternative

Epipen or not, the person with anaphylaxis still needs to go to the ER and that can cost an arm and a leg.

At some point you need to decide how much is a life worth to you.
I stated in another thread for me I'd prefer to pay a few bucks have the meds and syringe and just give myself a shot.

Competition comes out with lower cost alternative to EpiPen...

Virginia Company Plans to Reintroduce Alternative to $600 Epipen
October 27, 2016 – Kaléo, a privately-held pharmaceutical company based in Richmond, Virginia, announced plans on Wednesday to reintroduce its AUVI-Q epinephrine auto-injector, a prescription used to treat life-threatening allergies, to the U.S. market next year to compete with Mylan Pharmaceutical’s $600 Epipen.
“We believe that patients should have options when it comes to epinephrine auto-injectors for life-threatening allergic reactions,” said Spencer Williamson, president and CEO of Kaléo. “When a health care practitioner prescribes AUVI-Q, determining that it is best for a patient, we believe that the patient should be able to obtain the product without insurance barriers or being subjected to a high out-of-pocket cost. "As we prepare to make AUVI-Q available once again in the United States, our priority is to return AUVI-Q to the market as an epinephrine auto-injector alternative that all patients can afford,” Williamson continued.

However, Kaléo has declined to comment on how much the new AUVI-Q auto-injector, which will be available during the first half of 2017, will cost. Both the AUVI-Q and the Epipen release the drug epinephrine to reverse the effects of severe allergic reactions, which can include low blood pressure and impaired breathing. The auto-injector market had previously been exclusive to Mylan Pharmaceutical’s Epipen, which acquired the rights to the product in 2007. But Mylan - whose CEO, Heather Bresch, is also the daughter of Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV) - received public backlash back in May when the company raised the price of Epipens 500 percent, from $100 to $608 for a pack of two pens. Mylan responded to the criticism by releasing a cheaper, generic version of the Epipen for about $300 for two pens.

AUVI-Q auto-injectors were invented by Evan and Eric Edwards, twins suffering from severe food allergies, licensed to French pharmaceutical company Sanofi, and released to the public in 2013 as a slimmer, pocket-friendly version of the Epipen complete with audio instructions. But they were recalled by Sanofi last October following reports that the product malfunctioned or contained insufficient doses for users experiencing severe allergic reactions. Kaléo regained the rights to the AUVI-Q in February after its partnership with Sanofi was terminated due to the recall, which Williamson said was due to a “manufacturing process issue.”

Virginia Company Plans to Reintroduce Alternative to $600 Epipen

Big Pharma is almost as criminal as the big banks and wall street are. What they lack in criminality they make up in douchebaggery by holding peoples lives hostage, all for a quick buck. Mylan should be run out of business and the asshole that runs them should spend the rest of his miserable days in the gray bar Hilton.

Mylan thumbin' their nose at Congress..
steamed.gif

Mylan declines Senate committee request to testify about EpiPen
Nov 21 2016 - Mylan NV has declined a U.S. Senate committee request to testify about a $465 million pending settlement to resolve charges the company underpaid government healthcare programs by misclassifying its the EpiPen emergency allergy treatment.
In a Nov. 18 letter to the Senate Judiciary Committee released on Monday, Mylan said the company would not attend since government agencies had also refused to testify. Senator Chuck Grassley, who chairs the committee and had scheduled the hearing for Nov. 30, said in a statement on Monday that Mylan was "ducking responsibility." Mylan has come under fire for raising the price of a pair of EpiPens to $600 from $100 in 2008 and listing it with Medicaid as a generic product even though it is listed with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration as a branded product. Companies pay smaller rebates to Medicaid for generics.

r

EpiPen auto-injection epinephrine pens manufactured by Mylan NV pharmaceutical company for use by severe allergy sufferers are seen in Washington​

Following months of Congressional scrutiny, Mylan in October announced a settlement with the Justice Department. The settlement has not yet been executed, however. "This seems to contradict Mylan's claim that all potential liability claims have been resolved," Grassley said. Officials at the Justice Department and the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, which administers Medicare and Medicaid, have declined to testify at the hearing.

Grassley may reschedule the hearing and has the power to issue subpoenas, Jill Gerber, a spokeswoman for Grassley, said in an email. The authority is rarely used and would require a vote or the unanimous consent of the committee, she added. "One way or another, I intend to get answers for patients and taxpayers," Grassley said in the statement. Separately, Grassley wrote on Monday to the Securities and Exchange Commission encouraging it to investigate, if it was not already doing so, whether Mylan misled investors when it announced its settlement with the Justice Department. He asked the SEC to let the committee know by Nov. 29 whether it was investigating. The SEC declined to comment. A Mylan spokeswoman did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Mylan declines Senate committee request to testify about EpiPen

Forum List

Back