The educational system requires an overhaul

Don't the States run their own schools and have their own State Boards of Education? Doesn't the federal education funding for state schools K- 12 only include money for poor students school lunches and maybe a little for the federal testing mandates of no child left behind? Otherwise the fed for k-12 doesn't fund squat?

WHY is this even a federal/national issue when States are who rule their own educational systems???

Don't the States run their own schools and have their own State Boards of Education? Doesn't the federal education funding for state schools K- 12 only include money for poor students school lunches and maybe a little for the federal testing mandates of no child left behind? Otherwise the fed for k-12 doesn't fund squat?

WHY is this even a federal/national issue when States are who rule their own educational systems???
Because they don't. State/local boards of education often only recognize the kaching of federal funding and will most often willing submit to federal mandates regarding so-called "educational" strictures.

Because they don't. State/local boards of education often only recognize the kaching of federal funding and will most often willing submit to federal mandates regarding so-called "educational" strictures.

You don't realize that the federal funding accounts for less than 10% of the costs for a child's education and then it is only for poor children and those with handicaps or learning disabilities.

Your typical student doesn't get a dime of federal money.

Suck it up if you work for the public school system get to work and quit whining ,,,

If you want to rub yourself, do it in private. No one is whining, and you have only proven that you do NOT have experience teaching or coaching relative to what the other poster was talking about. Your self-love is your own sticky business, and no one wants to hear it.

I live in Alaska, where we waste more money per student than any other state for worse results. A lot is attributed to federal funding. There are other factors, as well. It's just tragic that the students suffer for political posturing.

I think you need to research the actual amount the feds contribute to your school. I am betting it is not nearly as large as you think it is.

Alaska gets $324 million of a $2.4 billion budget fro the federal government.

That's about 13,5 percent.

Suck it up if you work for the public school system get to work and quit whining ,,,

If you want to rub yourself, do it in private. No one is whining, and you have only proven that you do NOT have experience teaching or coaching relative to what the other poster was talking about. Your self-love is your own sticky business, and no one wants to hear it.

th

I only need that to know that a teacher works on salary and if they have a collateral duty, like coaching, then that's covered by the salary. As for fixing equipment or lack of equipment I already covered that.

Do I have to draw up you standard lesson plans and course curriculum for each grade also? Very little should require changes in a five year period if the lesson plans and curriculum is standardized nationwide.

*****SMILE*****

:)

2. Regulations at all levels need to be reviewed and groomed.

Being done all of the time.

Top heavy bureaucracy.

3. Funding at the local, state, and federal, levels need to be reduced.

Good!

4. Outsourcing to private industry should be considered.
Was considered, was done, total and turned into a total and complete disaster.

Refer to first answer.

>>>>>NOTE: It doesn't take a brick and mortar building to educate children in.
Many children cannot learn from computers and videos. They need that human contact to reinforce the learning or they forget it in a matter of minutes.

Not what I meant. I meant I can put up a metal building for a fraction of the cost of a brick and mortar building.

5. Educational requirements for educators should be reduced.
>>>>>NOTE: It doesn't take a four year degree to teach children (grades 1-4) basic reading, writing and arithmetic a high school grad can do that. An associates should be good for grades 5-8 and a bachelor's for high school. All these educators should have set wages. If you have a degree higher than those then you should be seeking a different job because you're overeducated for the position you're holding or seeking.
Total and complete nonsense. Knowing how to read does not mean you can teach someone to read.

^^^Big part of the problem^^^

Let's try this... Just because you have a bachelors degree in teaching doesn't mean you know how to teach someone.

6. If the child has reached high school and is not inclined towards academics then classes for educating them in a skilled profession should be available.

Already available in most school systems.

Last time I looked at the course curriculum in the school's around here they no longer teach: mechanical drawing, woodworking, welding, basic engine repair, canning, gardening, etc,...

Those used to be standards for those choosing a skill instead of academics.

^^^^^^^^^FROWN^^^^^^^^
My comments in blue.

They still are.

th

*****SMILE*****

Last edited:

th

I only need that to know that a teacher works on salary and if they have a collateral duty, like coaching, then that's covered by the salary. As for fixing equipment or lack of equipment I already covered that.

Do I have to draw up you standard lesson plans and course curriculum for each grade also? Very little should require changes in a five year period if the lesson plans and curriculum is standardized nationwide.

*****SMILE*****

Again, you would be wrong.

Coaching and extra duties are paid by supplements to their salaries.

I was a football, cross country, and academic team coach for many years. I was paid extra.

2. Regulations at all levels need to be reviewed and groomed.

Top heavy bureaucracy.

3. Funding at the local, state, and federal, levels need to be reduced.

Good!

4. Outsourcing to private industry should be considered.
Was considered, was done, total and turned into a total and complete disaster.

Refer to first answer.

>>>>>NOTE: It doesn't take a brick and mortar building to educate children in.
Many children cannot learn from computers and videos. They need that human contact to reinforce the learning or they forget it in a matter of minutes.

Not what I meant. I meant I can put up a metal building for a fraction of the cost of a brick and mortar building.

5. Educational requirements for educators should be reduced.
>>>>>NOTE: It doesn't take a four year degree to teach children (grades 1-4) basic reading, writing and arithmetic a high school grad can do that. An associates should be good for grades 5-8 and a bachelor's for high school. All these educators should have set wages. If you have a degree higher than those then you should be seeking a different job because you're overeducated for the position you're holding or seeking.
Total and complete nonsense. Knowing how to read does not mean you can teach someone to read.

^^^Big part of the problem^^^

Let's try this... Just because you have a bachelors degree in teaching doesn't mean you know how to teach someone.

6. If the child has reached high school and is not inclined towards academics then classes for educating them in a skilled profession should be available.

Already available in most school systems.

Last time I looked at the course curriculum in the school's around here they no longer teach: mechanical drawing, woodworking, welding, basic engine repair, canning, gardening, etc,...

Those used to be standards for those choosing a skill instead of academics.

^^^^^^^^^FROWN^^^^^^^^
My comments in blue.

They still are.

th

*****SMILE*****

That sounds like your problem.

This is from the county where I work:
  • Air & Space Academy
  • Air Conditioning Technology
  • Automotive Technology
  • Construction Carpentry Technology
  • Electrical Technology
  • Industrial Maintenance Technology
  • Masonry Technology
  • Welding Technology
We also have jobs programs with UPS and dual credit courses with the local community colleges and major universities.

I think you will likely find that your schools do also.

BTW, why on God's green earth would you teach mechanical drawing when that went the way of the buggy whip and typewriter?

th

*****SMILE*****

I was a football, cross country, and academic team coach for many years. I was paid extra.

upload_2017-9-8_22-30-54.jpeg

^^^Therein lies the problem.^^^

Entitlement expectations for being assigned a collateral duty.

Perhaps we need to hand out pink slips and bring in foreign nationals to replace the educators. Maybe we can get them cheap at half the going rate with empty promises that it counts as points to citizenship if they do a good job.

*****CHUCKLE*****

• Air & Space Academy
  • Automotive Technology
  • Electrical Technology
  • Masonry Technology
  • Welding Technology
We also have jobs programs with UPS and dual credit courses with the local community colleges and major universities.

BTW, why on God's green earth would you teach mechanical drawing when that went the way of the buggy whip and typewriter?

th

Those courses should be high school level.

Same reason would I expect a student to be able to work a math problem, even at college level, without a calculator.

*****SMILE*****

th

*****SMILE*****

View attachment 148271

Perhaps we need to hand out pink slips and bring in foreign nationals to replace the educators. Maybe we can get them cheap at half the going rate with empty promises that it counts as points to citizenship if they do a good job.

*****CHUCKLE*****

Expectations? Do you often expect to work for free? Collateral duties are not supposed to take place outside the school day without compensation.

My father worked for General Electric for 27 years. If he worked any additional hours past his shift, he damned sure got paid for it. Most of these coaching supplements when divided by the actual hours worked do not even meet minimum wage requirements.

I just spent my own money this week buying supplies for my classroom because there is no funding for me to get anything except from my own pocket! I even bought lamps for my classroom so my students can see to take notes from my projector because the light switches are all on or all off.

I had one of those foreign professors in college. Almost every student in the class failed because the university forgot to ask him the most basic interview question before hiring him!
They forgot to ask him if he could speak English without such a thick Chinese accent that we might be able to understand what "Tarke de varum of de rood brock" meant in his Physics class.

• Air & Space Academy
  • Automotive Technology
  • Electrical Technology
  • Masonry Technology
  • Welding Technology

th

Same reason would I expect a student to be able to work a math problem, even at college level, without a calculator.

*****SMILE*****

Those ARE at the high school level!

th

*****SMILE*****

View attachment 148271

*****CHUCKLE*****

Expectations? Do you often expect to work for free? Collateral duties are not supposed to take place outside the school day without compensation.

My father worked for General Electric for 27 years. If he worked any additional hours past his shift, he damned sure got paid for it. Most of these coaching supplements when divided by the actual hours worked do not even meet minimum wage requirements.

I just spent my own money this week buying supplies for my classroom because there is no funding for me to get anything except from my own pocket! I even bought lamps for my classroom so my students can see to take notes from my projector because the light switches are all on or all off.

I had one of those foreign professors in college. Almost every student in the class failed because the university forgot to ask him the most basic interview question before hiring him!
They forgot to ask him if he could speak English without such a thick Chinese accent that we might be able to understand what "Tarke de varum of de rood brock" meant in his Physics class.

th

So let's review:

1. You think you're entitled to extra pay when assigned a collateral duty or duty assignment.

2. You can't handle ordering for your classroom or the budget for your classroom.

3. You discriminate against foreign nationals because they can do the job just as well as most teachers appear to be doing in this country.

Does that about sum it up?

*****CHUCKLE*****

• Air & Space Academy
  • Automotive Technology
  • Electrical Technology
  • Masonry Technology
  • Welding Technology

th

*****SMILE*****

th

You said they are at the community college. FYI..... That's not high school.

*****SMILE*****

• Air & Space Academy
  • Automotive Technology
  • Electrical Technology
  • Masonry Technology
  • Welding Technology

th

*****SMILE*****

th

*****SMILE*****

No, I did not. The courses are taught in the vocational schools or at the community colleges where they receive both high school and college credit for the classes.

I am sorry you don't have the background knowledge to discuss this topic, but apparently you have some learning to do.

th

*****SMILE*****

View attachment 148271

*****CHUCKLE*****

th

So let's review:

1. You think you're entitled to extra pay when assigned a collateral duty or duty assignment.

2. You can't handle ordering for your classroom or the budget for your classroom.

3. You discriminate against foreign nationals because they can do the job just as well as most teachers appear to be doing in this country.

Does that about sum it up?

*****CHUCKLE*****

You really are quite laughable.

If I am expected to work 3 additional hours after school and attend sporting events in the evening and on weekends, yes, I expect to get paid. Most people do.

There is no budget for my classroom. That is the point! Anything I need, I provide for my students out of my own pocket, from paper, to pencils, to tissues!

Those foreign nationals were NOT doing the job. Do you have a serious reading comprehension problem? Did you miss the part where I stated that most of the students failed? If they cannot speak English, hwy were they hired?

If you really want to learn, try asking serious questions and I will give you serious answers. Right now, I believe you are simply being contrary and arguing for the sake of argument and you don't even believe what you are posting.

• Air & Space Academy
  • Automotive Technology
  • Electrical Technology
  • Masonry Technology
  • Welding Technology

th

*****SMILE*****

th

*****SMILE*****

No, I did not. The courses are taught in the vocational schools or at the community colleges where they receive both high school and college credit for the classes.

I am sorry you don't have the background knowledge to discuss this topic, but apparently you have some learning to do.

upload_2017-9-8_23-34-5.jpeg

Most of the fundamentals in mechanics, woodworking, welding, electrical, etc,... were taught at the high school when I was in high school. Not at some campus inconveniently located somewhere on the other side of town.

It would appear that the growing bureaucracy and feudal mentality of craftsmen protecting their precious craft from plebeians runs deep in the educational systems today.

Was this so they could make room for all those feel good social programs at the high school level because someone under eighteen might learn something useful?

No! Don't answer that because I'm sure it'll only be an answer that supports perpetuating the ongoing deferment of receiving an education prior to graduating high school.

*****SMILE*****

• Air & Space Academy
  • Automotive Technology
  • Electrical Technology
  • Masonry Technology
  • Welding Technology

th

*****SMILE*****

th

*****SMILE*****

View attachment 148273

Most of the fundamentals in mechanics, woodworking, welding, electrical, etc,... were taught at the high school when I was in high school. Not at some campus inconveniently located somewhere on the other side of town.

It would appear that the growing bureaucracy and feudal mentality of craftsmen protecting their precious craft from plebeians runs deep in the educational systems today.

Was this so they could make room for all those feel good social programs at the high school level because someone under eighteen might learn something useful?

No! Don't answer that because I'm sure it'll only be an answer that supports perpetuating the ongoing deferment of receiving an education prior to graduating high school.

*****SMILE*****

What makes you think they are located far away?

Most of my school's vocational/technical centers were collocated with the high schools. The one exception was out school only had 650 students, so they attended an area technology center in the next county by bus for either a morning or afternoon session. It is called economy of scale when multiple schools share these facilities.

Some classes are taught at the school itself. My last school taught medical, welding, and business classes in the same building as the high school.

You claimed these programs do not exist, when clearly they do.

In fact, my current principal was the principal of the vocational/technical center in an adjoining county before taking this position.

I do not understand the rest of your rant. I think it has been shown that you really are not familiar with what is going on in public education today. You have preconceived notions that are obviously in error, yet you simply deny the truth.

Forum List

Back