The "economy" is meaningless

dfens

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2016
It's a meaningless concept because you can't have infinite growth on a finite planet with finite resources.
If what we mean by economy is infinite growth in population, consumption, and GDP growth, the economy will actually end up using everything, destroying the biosphere, and leaving unpayable debts for every human generation to come after us.

Let's shut this thing down. It will be better for everyone in the long run. Believe me, you won't miss any of the BS that today passes for economic activity.

It's a meaningless concept because you can't have infinite growth on a finite planet with finite resources.
If what we mean by economy is infinite growth in population, consumption, and GDP growth, the economy will actually end up using everything, destroying the biosphere, and leaving unpayable debts for every human generation to come after us.

Let's shut this thing down. It will be better for everyone in the long run. Believe me, you won't miss any of the BS that today passes for economic activity.
I'm sorry you lost your part time job at Burger King. Give the weed a break.

He is correct. The economy is not sustainable in the terms that he defines it, and many of the specialized middleman services that compose the majority of Western jobs are eventually going to be phased out.

No economy is truly sustainable, but the type that we have developed today is going to keep blowing up in our faces, and cause suffering as a result.

Major depopulation is inevitable, but its okay since the ruling class will live and die fat.

I'm sorry you lost your part time job at Burger King. Give the weed a break.

That's cool.

Keep deflecting while the third world suffers. Maybe you will die before reality reaches your doorstep.

The economy sucks because we moved too far left. Going further to fix it is stupid.

While the government certainly plays a part in expanding the bubble economy, the problem the OP presented would still exist whether or not the government acted as a third party arbitrator.

Yeah, it's a shame that there is only one planet in the universe.

Let's shut this thing down.

Shut down the economy? How would we do that? Why would we do that?

leaving unpayable debts for every human generation to come after us.

These debts are owed to a hole in the sky?

The economy sucks because we moved too far left. Going further to fix it is stupid.

While the government certainly plays a part in expanding the bubble economy, the problem the OP presented would still exist whether or not the government acted as a third party arbitrator.
It's a false argument. No one said the economy is infinite. The problem is too many are brainwashed and no longer understand what creates wealth. Business is what creates wealth. They build/make/invent/grow things people need. Provide jobs and pay taxes along with the employees.

The harder you come down on business the worse the economy will get. There's a limit to what can be done but no one knows the limit, only a free market can decide.

I have no idea what the OP was saying but I'll take a stab, the economy is no more a thing than biology or geology - just numbers that humans put on natural activity. Measuring transactions creates no more meaning than measuring biological replenishment rates. This stuff happens naturally whether you measure it or not.

finite resources?? they thought oil was a finite resource when PA ran out 100 years ago. Now the world has 5 billion more people, more oil and gas in reserve than ever before in human history, and substitutes already on the market. 1+1=2 Smarter to worry about getting hit by lightening.

Forum List

Back