The Cannabis Question

RodISHI

Platinum Member
Nov 29, 2008
Interest documentary on cannabis. sure is a lot to consider in it all.

I have always had no doubt about the negative effects on young brains and this explains portions of that. Also though it does into the great benefit derived for medical use by people who very much need it. Surely states and lawmakers can come up with better solutions than putting people in jail who have legitimate medical needs for cannabis use.

Some information

This ain't Hippie John's cannabis. You know, the old guy with the pigtail, who knew somebody and did something back in the 60's.

The shit they have now would cause Hippie John to climb a tree and bark at people when they walked by. Everyone would think he's crazy, but he's just an old Boomer who knew somebody and did something back in the 60's.

:laughing0301:

Some information
That potency issue is addressed in the video too.

Drugs and alcohol
“Brain studies have shown that chronic opioid exposure can create persistent impairments in the front brain regions, with severe consequences including problems with memory, attention, spatial planning, and executive functions. These problems may last several years after the last use of opioids,” says Bonci.

Alcoholic neuropathy: Causes, symptoms, and treatment I knew a whole family of children who were tarded due to mom drinking while pg. As adults (five of them) they all received over $1,800.00 a month from ss due to alcohol fetal syndrome.

Even over the counter pain meds can cause severe issues.
Acetaminophen – a potent physical painkiller that also reduces empathy for other people's suffering – blunts physical and social pain by reducing activation in brain areas (i.e. anterior insula and anterior cingulate) thought to be related to emotional awareness and motivation.

Drugs and alcohol
“Brain studies have shown that chronic opioid exposure can create persistent impairments in the front brain regions, with severe consequences including problems with memory, attention, spatial planning, and executive functions. These problems may last several years after the last use of opioids,” says Bonci.

Alcoholic neuropathy: Causes, symptoms, and treatment I knew a whole family of children who were tarded due to mom drinking while pg. As adults (five of them) they all received over $1,800.00 a month from ss due to alcohol fetal syndrome.

Acetaminophen – a potent physical painkiller that also reduces empathy for other people's suffering – blunts physical and social pain by reducing activation in brain areas (i.e. anterior insula and anterior cingulate) thought to be related to emotional awareness and motivation.

Drugs, alcohol, and years of attention deficit and hyperactivity meds. We've created monsters like that asshole who went on a shooting spree in Highland Park.

Being an old Boomer myself, I wasn't force fed the same meds these kids were. I could theoretically drink a half pint of vodka, smoke a bowl, and would just ramble on about some stupid shit. I sure as hell would even go near a firearm in that state of mind.

Wait...scratch that. I wouldn't smoke that shit for anything. I already know how many stupid things I did when I was high, how much money I spent, how many jobs I lost, and how many friends and family members I alienated. There's no way I'm gonna jeopardize my gun rights by smoking dope. Fuck that noise. Drugs are for losers.

Back in 2013/2014, my Dad was dying of cancer. Smoking pot helped him deal with it.

That's all I need to know...
My son got rid of a brain tumor using the oil.

Pharmaceuticals all can have negative effects. Some worse than others. My dad was given prednisone and he suffered extreme mood swings. It also does long term damage.

For those whom don't have an hour to watch the program linked, there's a transcript here;
~~~~~~~~~~
Some excerpts from another link on the program;
More than 80 years after America ended one kind of prohibition, it is ending another. Cannabis is growing into a multi-billion-dollar industry as it moves out of the shadow of the illicit market and into newly legalized mainstream commerce. Increasingly eaten, dabbed, vaped, and smoked, cannabis is on the rise and our nation is at a crossroads. The long-demonized plant has been decriminalized in over 30 states, legalized in many, and is frequently marketed as a medicine. Fifty-five million Americans say they currently use it, and yet there’s been surprisingly little scientific investigation of the plant in the U.S.

Though many believe cannabis is benign, and even beneficial, confusion reigns as the federal government still classifies it as a Schedule 1 drug—in the same category as heroin—with no approved medical uses. Because of this classification, research that focuses on the plant’s complex chemicals—and its effects on users—has been limited.

“It’s shocking how little we actually know about cannabis, since scientists have not been able to thoroughly study its effects,” said NOVA Co-Executive Producer Julia Cort. “This film presents a timely look at what we know about the potential benefits and risks of cannabis use, while also examining how the plant has been weaponized against marginalized communities, causing irreparable harm. We hope THE CANNABIS QUESTION will inspire people to join the national conversation about cannabis—not only around what researchers have learned about the plant, but the science that could be done in the future, as well as the powerful impacts it can have on society.”

THE CANNABIS QUESTION follows scientists such as Daniele Piomelli at UC Irvine and Yasmin Hurd at Mount Sinai Hospital, who are leading research on the endocannabinoid system—a collection of chemicals and receptors throughout the brain and body that help regulate the activity of multiple organs. In fact, the cannabinoid receptor—named after cannabis—is the most abundant receptor in the brain. These receptors bind with our own cannabis-like molecules, called endocannabinoids, regulating key functions such as sleep, cognition, memory, and emotion. The disruption of this crucial biological system can be associated with psychiatric disorders such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Cannabis contains over 100 cannabinoid compounds, chemicals that mimic those in our own bodies and can latch onto these key receptors. One is THC, which produces the “high” associated with cannabis use. Another, called CBD, shows promise for treating epilepsy, opioid addiction, and anxiety.

“THE CANNABIS QUESTION is one of the first documentaries to closely examine the latest scientific research on our body’s endocannabinoid system and how cannabis engages it,” said Director Sarah Holt. “I hope viewers will come away with an understanding of why this is one of the most important regulatory systems in our body—and anytime you use cannabis, you are interfering with it.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For those not familiar with the nuances, cannabis has two out of hundreds of chemical components that are of major interest (and concern).

One is THC which is the molecule that gets one "high" and in states where it's use is legal, and regulated, often the product marketed will have a label specifying the THC percentage, as well as the strain or type of the plant. Such as sativa or indica, or a blend.

The other major molecule of interest is the CBD which is used to treat many medical conditions, and is not capable of making one "high". Neurological, anxiety, appetite, tension, muscle aches/pains, etc. are some of it's applications.

About eight years ago when I was diagnosed with prostate cancer a friend encouraged me to try a CBD formulation. Limited research and medical test at that time suggested it could arrest the progress of cancer, if not eradicate it. Since the side effects were more benign than the conventional treatment options I figured it was worth a try. My cancer has remained dormant all this time that I've been taking a CBD intense formula, which has negligible THC BTW.

Just short of a year ago, my friend and supplier found out about CBG, a more recently known and understood molecule with potential better than CBD and began including that in the capsules he makes and supplies me with. One unexpected result was that within about 3 weeks of taking this new formulation, the arthritis in my hands went away, and I attribute that to the added CBG.
~~~~~~~~~~~
As we are finding out, cannabis is a complex substance with a wide range of uses and applications and so far that scale and scope has seen the surface barely scratched.

This ain't Hippie John's cannabis. You know, the old guy with the pigtail, who knew somebody and did something back in the 60's. The shit they have now would cause Hippie John to climb a tree and bark at people when they walked by. Everyone would think he's crazy, but he's just an old Boomer who knew somebody and did something back in the 60's.

Potency never really was any issue. Back in the day, you had to smoke a big bowl of leaf, stems and twigs (and some seeds) to get high--- that is where most of the harmful effects were in burning all that plant matter. At that, much of what you smoked was ∆8 or mixed with ∆9. The new, higher THC stuff in a vaping pipe means you are freed most of that now just getting active ingredient and it is just a matter of taking whatever dose (and no more) you need to really get high. So in that regard, the newer stuff is actually cheaper and better for you.

Drugs and alcohol

Nothing that you posted excuses or justifies the use of the drug, or any other drug. Including marijuana. Marijuana is not made safe because opiods are deadly.

Potency never really was any issue. Back in the day, you had to smoke a big bowl of leaf, stems and twigs (and some seeds) to get high--- that is where most of the harmful effects were in burning all that plant matter. At that, much of what you smoked was ∆8 or mixed with ∆9. The new, higher THC stuff in a vaping pipe means you are freed most of that now just getting active ingredient and it is just a matter of taking whatever dose (and no more) you need to really get high. So in that regard, the newer stuff is actually cheaper and better for you.
Or not

Well that's just it Tipsy, I wouldn't send a person out with a gun with no proper training and here the fault is unleashing a powerful psychoactive herb for pure unadulterated "recreational" use. No wonder you have people falling down, getting hurt and going to the hospital. Weed is serious stuff and not for everyone, and is wasted on people just looking for a "good time" so naturally, bad things happen, but you see, the move to legalize it to the general unrestricted population was a deliberate move to create a more stoned society so that they could more easily get away with what they are trying to pull now between Brazil, South Africa, the Netherlands and eventually here.

Well that's just it Tipsy, I wouldn't send a person out with a gun with no proper training and here the fault is unleashing a powerful psychoactive herb for pure unadulterated "recreational" use. No wonder you have people falling down, getting hurt and going to the hospital. Weed is serious stuff and not for everyone, and is wasted on people just looking for a "good time" so naturally, bad things happen, but you see, the move to legalize it to the general unrestricted population was a deliberate move to create a more stoned society so that they could more easily get away with what they are trying to pull now between Brazil, South Africa, the Netherlands and eventually here.
It actually goes way beyond that. For reasons only explainable to itself, this administration is facilitating the importation of truly deadly drugs in quantities large enough to kill off the entire population of the country several times over. Fentanyl is being disguised as almost any kind of pill or capsule. Cocaine, percoset, oxy, aspirin, as many disguises as can be imagined. The powder folded into dollar bills and dropped randomly. Just to kill. Facilitated by this government. We are at war. The administration is on the other side.

Nothing that you posted excuses or justifies the use of the drug, or any other drug. Including marijuana. Marijuana is not made safe because opiods are deadly.
Personally I don't use any of it but I have seen many people over the years that do and I do not think it should be demonized when someone needs it for medical purposes.

I've seen a lot of people who got into in the drug scene over the years screw up their brains which in turn screwed up their lives; not that they were any worse than alcoholics though either; and some I know tried both avenues and were much better off being potheads vs being an alcoholics.

The FBI interviewed all of the captured serial killers. Something like 95% of them came from one or more abusive alcoholic parents, none came from stoner parents

I've had a series of failed attempts at growing my own. Sure, it a "weed" but it's very finicky and the Fall climate in NY is just the kiss of death. Can only grown indoors here. There's a hemp farm in CT that actually has acclimatized, perennial hemp. I might try the same with Girl Scout Cookies once we move.

91lZwwtCrNL._AC_UL600_SR600,600_.jpg

Weed is good medically and recreationally.
But like everything, you must be responsible with it.
Children and teens shouldnt be doing it. Their bodies are still growing. Their brain is still developing.

The FBI interviewed all of the captured serial killers. Something like 95% of them came from one or more abusive alcoholic parents, none came from stoner parents

I've had a series of failed attempts at growing my own. Sure, it a "weed" but it's very finicky and the Fall climate in NY is just the kiss of death. Can only grown indoors here. There's a hemp farm in CT that actually has acclimatized, perennial hemp. I might try the same with Girl Scout Cookies once we move.

91lZwwtCrNL._AC_UL600_SR600,600_.jpg
I've got an aunt (my favorite one in fact) that is over 85 who has had a pot plant growing in a pot for over sixty years that I know of. She does have a touch of alzheimer's now but she may have had that anyhow regardless of the weed or not.

I've got an aunt (my favorite one in fact) that is over 85 who has had a pot plant growing in a pot for over sixty years that I know of. She does have a touch of alzheimer's now but she may have had that anyhow regardless of the weed or not.

Male or female plant? The seeds today are worth $10/each

Male or female plant? The seeds today are worth $10/each
I have no clue. She and I live in different states now.

Worth know info though. I dug up some flowers at a place that was being torn down some years back and the guy must have had some pot growing in his flower bed because the next year a plant came up among those flowers. I pulled it like I would any other weed but who knows now I may let something like that grow if the seeds have value.

I have no clue. She and I live in different states now.

Worth know info though. I dug up some flowers at a place that was being torn down some years back and the guy must have had some pot growing in his flower bed because the next year a plant came up among those flowers. I pulled it like I would any other weed but who knows now I may let something like that grow if the seeds have value.

One thing I learned the hard way is that bees go absolutely crazy for male pot plants. I've never seen so many bees around any plant in my life. The other thing is that the male plants pollinate the females and pollinated females do not produce the THC buds. Live and learn.

Did I mention how fun it was to watch the bees swarm around a male plant? Amazing!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back