The 8 Most Exciting Solar Projects in the U.S. [Updated]

Trillion dollar government solar projects are a boondoggle just waiting to happen.

Tell me why do we need to uglify acres of wilderness for huge solar farms when we already have acres of south and southwest facing rooftops?

Leasing America's Rooftops for Solar Energy | Smart Journalism. Real Solutions. Miller-McCune.

The government could give tax credits to utilities who install solar panels and the utilities could pay the people who own the rooftops by supplying electricity at a reduced rate.

It's a simple and elegant solution which is probably why the idiots in DC haven't thought of it.

Solar generated power is certainly a part of the overall approach we ought to be taking to our overall energy needs.

Whining about the fact that we must invest in that industry it is just silly.

We've invested trillions in oil production over the years.

Why do you think we've spend a cool trillion or so in the last ten years occupying Iraq?

Solar generated power is certainly a part of the overall approach we ought to be taking to our overall energy needs.

Why do you think we've spend a cool trillion or so in the last ten years occupying Iraq?

And we hardly get any oil from Iraq.

We don't need huge trillion dollar wind and solar farms subsidized by tax dollars in order to solve our energy needs.

Here's my bitch fest:

Yes- alternatives/renewables/bio-fuels/etc. can and should be an integral part of the overall approach BUT creating artificial markets and mandating consumer habits is not a wise course.

Congress and the public are absolutely blind to the power wielded by the agriculture industry in this country. They are manipulating markets and diverting food away from world supply stocks for the sake of larger profits in fuels- profits afforded by these fuel markets that were created by sham science and convoluted goals.

Using the Iraq argument as a source for oil supply is just another tool to discredit a truly productive industry, kill U.S. domestic hydrocarbon production, and promote the agenda of the "green revolution".

And worst of all - the total disregard to the importance of the U.S. hydrocarbon industry and the role it plays in supplying stable, secure, market-driven energy and job creation and economic growth in our own country.

The kicker- a President that continually brow-beats and berates this domestic industry in the name of pet projects like "putting one million electric cars on the road". How to pay for it? His budget contains over $40 billion in taxes on one particular industry- singled out for its success and contributions to this nation.

So if you're going to address an "overall approach", start with what works and has been working for over 150 years in this country.

I'm new to the board, but would like to interject my .02 here.

1) Solar will never be the primary energy source for all electrical needs....nor is it meant to be. However, enough solar energy hits the entire earth everyday to power the needs of mankind (at our current demands) for 27 years. Again, the problem would be harnessing that energy.....ie, solar panels floating on the ocean and covering every square inch of earth....not gonna happen, but it does prove the point that a huge potential is solar energy.

Twenty-one percent (21%) of electrical consumption in the US is attributed to residential needs. That's a healthy chunk of electrical energy. If we were able to outfit most homes with efficient electrical panels and reduce that demand by 75%, that would be substantial...however, that would take decades.

2) Wind is not very viable. It is random, unpredictable, and the most expensive form of alterative energy (to fossil fuels) with respect to watt / $. Sorry, it is.

3) Geothermal isn't bad and could really be a great addition to residential forms of heating/cooling. Prices are coming down in the next decade or so, it may be much more affordable for the average American home. However, right now, where the average heating/cooling unit is about $6k, the average G/T unit is about 3x that.

4) Hydro-electric is a very sustainable and clean form of energy. In my home state, Tennessee, nearly 20% of power is derived from hydroelectric.

5) Nuclear. Nuclear is the short-term answer to a medium range problem. We will not be able to build enough windmills, solar panels, etc to sustain our medium term needs (<50 years). This can be done through nuclear energy. Nuclear is the cheapest form of alternative energy WRT watt/$. It is safe and clean and is sustainable and attainable and will power our needs.

6) Tidal technology is progressing and some potential exists with this technology, but again, it will take years to make this a sustainable energy solution.

The problem is that we are now facing energy problems and anything other than nuclear is not proven and efficient. Most other forms of energy are still very expensive, very under-powered, and will take decades to get to the level of viability. However, this doesn't mean that we shouldn't pursue alternative energy sources. We must still realize that in 100 years from now, our problems will be more severe and the decisions we make today will consequences on those people then.

Regardless, it is NOT the place of the US government to step in and dictate every single thing and pay for unsustainable subsidies. We are broke. We have no money to pay for these things, PERIOD. If the government wants to stem creative and innovative solutions, I have two simple solutions:

A) Implement Trade Reciprocity. Simply apply the trade rules to other countries that they apply to us.

B) Cut income and business taxes to a flat 10% and be done. Businessess would be encourage to stay in the US instead of heading to Mexico, Cambodia, Vietnam, China, Panama, etc. With their extra revenue, money could be invested in forging ahead with R&D for future technology. But by no means will the US be successful in the long term by the subsidy system. We will fail. It's American ingenuity and spirit that will save our country, not bought-and-paid for DC politicians.

1. Solar requires massive rate increases and raising taxes, Solar produces so little energy they are now designing Natural Gas Boilers into Solar plants, further Solar has failed in
Spain, ever here the one how Spain's Solar producers were using diesel generators to make electricity.

2. Wind is bad, not as bad as solar in cost and every other aspect, Geothermal is the most expensive form of energy, If your speaking of comparing Geothermal on the Commercial basis.

3. Geothermal for electrical power plants is the most polluting form of electricity, dead last, then I believe its solar, wind, coal. Again on a Commercial level, the most expensive.

4. Hydro, extremely expensive and cannot be expanded. Kills a shitload of fish. Actually complete rivers, breeding habitat. Always built with tax money.

5. Nuclear is a short term answer, and Solar, Geothermal, and Wind is not an answer at all. Every Nuclear power plant built has a longer life then any Solar panel, Geothermal Plant or Wind Turbine. Nuclear power has proven itself to be a life long producer of energy. 40 years of operation and the waste of every nuclear plant in the USA will not fill a foot ball field. Continous power as in 400 days in a row without turning off, not once, never coming down for maintenance, no major component failures.

And yes all this means we should not spend another dime on Solar or Wind or Geothermal because that means passing laws making it legal to steal my money, literally.

Who is the government to decide that I must take my money and give it to a private company of the governments choosing.

Trillion dollar government solar projects are a boondoggle just waiting to happen.

Tell me why do we need to uglify acres of wilderness for huge solar farms when we already have acres of south and southwest facing rooftops?

Leasing America's Rooftops for Solar Energy | Smart Journalism. Real Solutions. Miller-McCune.

The government could give tax credits to utilities who install solar panels and the utilities could pay the people who own the rooftops by supplying electricity at a reduced rate.

It's a simple and elegant solution which is probably why the idiots in DC haven't thought of it.

In the USA we do not get to choose who sells us power, its all Federal and State regulations that give us power. Go ahead, try and buy your electricity from someone else.

So is it Constitutional to force me to pay higher electrical rates so that you can give money to private companies, literally forcing me to be customer of corporations, I must literally give my money to the rich person of governments choosing.

This simple idea results in me being broke, poor. I can honestly not afford to pay more for electricity, 300$ a month is too much.

I can not see how anyone can support Solar or Wind if you look at all the facts, the biggest fact being its too expensive for me to pay for.

Disruptive Business Models: SCE ProLogis Solar Deal - Who pays?

Yesterdays announcement that ProLogis had agreed to lease roofspace to SCE for solar arrays raises some interesting issues for the industry, most importantly, can private sector PPA based solar integrators be competitive with public utilities?

Arno Harris thinks so. He is the CEO of Recurrent Energy, so of course he has to!

The biggest question is whether the public (and the many public watchdog groups) will support the rate hikes that SCE will propose to finance this project. Should ratepayers finance SCE's entry into yet another profitable business for SCE? What does this say about using regulated/captive customer bases as a competitive advantage over private enterprise?

In the USA we do not get to choose who sells us power, its all Federal and State regulations that give us power. Go ahead, try and buy your electricity from someone else.

So is it Constitutional to force me to pay higher electrical rates so that you can give money to private companies, literally forcing me to be customer of corporations, I must literally give my money to the rich person of governments choosing.

This simple idea results in me being broke, poor. I can honestly not afford to pay more for electricity, 300$ a month is too much.

I can not see how anyone can support Solar or Wind if you look at all the facts, the biggest fact being its too expensive for me to pay for.

Yesterdays announcement that ProLogis had agreed to lease roofspace to SCE for solar arrays raises some interesting issues for the industry, most importantly, can private sector PPA based solar integrators be competitive with public utilities?

Arno Harris thinks so. He is the CEO of Recurrent Energy, so of course he has to!

The biggest question is whether the public (and the many public watchdog groups) will support the rate hikes that SCE will propose to finance this project. Should ratepayers finance SCE's entry into yet another profitable business for SCE? What does this say about using regulated/captive customer bases as a competitive advantage over private enterprise?

You could be paid to put a solar panel on your roof. Your taxes would not rise and your electric bill would decrease.

All it would take is some out of the box thinking by the idiots in DC to allow tax credits for companies that will provide and install solar panels on the rooftops of private citizens. The tax breaks could be used to fund the project and you get paid by getting a reduced electrical rate.

We already have the rooftops and we wouldn't have to revamp the entire power grid to do it.

Before I went my pants, how many homes will these projects power. For example, with these projects, what percentage of CA's power will come from solar power?

My guess is, and I don't want to be pestimissitic, is about 2-3% of CA needs!
Better question. How many INDUSTRIES can one of those plants supply with consistent, reliable power?

And the best question of all. How many jobs will be created in America instead of sending our money to the middle east to build fortunes for Arab shieks, kings and terrorists? Go Solar. Keep the jobs and money in America!

Welcome to the board!

I was with you there until the last paragraph, when you ran off the rails.

Thank you for the welcome!

This seems to be a somewhat diverse forum which typically seems to generate a lot more debate than most forums I've been on.

So what exactly do you take issue with in this paragraph:

(B) Cut income and business taxes to a flat 10% and be done. Businessess would be encourage to stay in the US instead of heading to Mexico, Cambodia, Vietnam, China, Panama, etc. With their extra revenue, money could be invested in forging ahead with R&D for future technology. But by no means will the US be successful in the long term by the subsidy system. We will fail. It's American ingenuity and spirit that will save our country, not bought-and-paid for DC politicians.

Before I went my pants, how many homes will these projects power. For example, with these projects, what percentage of CA's power will come from solar power?

Better question. How many INDUSTRIES can one of those plants supply with consistent, reliable power?

And the best question of all. How many jobs will be created in America instead of sending our money to the middle east to build fortunes for Arab shieks, kings and terrorists? Go Solar. Keep the jobs and money in America!
Not as much as the oil, coal, natural gas, petrochemical industries and the infrastructure manufacturing required to build up our nation again.

You know.... the ones not bailed out by the government and therefore wasting tax dollars.

Last edited:
Welcome to the board!

This seems to be a somewhat diverse forum which typically seems to generate a lot more debate than most forums I've been on.

(B) Cut income and business taxes to a flat 10% and be done. Businessess would be encourage to stay in the US instead of heading to Mexico, Cambodia, Vietnam, China, Panama, etc. With their extra revenue, money could be invested in forging ahead with R&D for future technology. But by no means will the US be successful in the long term by the subsidy system. We will fail. It's American ingenuity and spirit that will save our country, not bought-and-paid for DC politicians.
It sounds like Fair Tax hoo-ha.

You could be paid to put a solar panel on your roof. Your taxes would not rise and your electric bill would decrease.

All it would take is some out of the box thinking by the idiots in DC to allow tax credits for companies that will provide and install solar panels on the rooftops of private citizens. The tax breaks could be used to fund the project and you get paid by getting a reduced electrical rate.

We already have the rooftops and we wouldn't have to revamp the entire power grid to do it.

I have said it a thousand times in dozens of threads, Solar Energy does not work, its too expensive. Taxes are extremely high and adding the bill of Solar Energy to the tax burden is short sighted.

You realize that Solar needs a magical breakthrough and when and if that happens everything installed today is Junk.

A solar panel on my roof, I guess that means no trees to shade my house and now I need an air conditioner and I also need to replace this garbage every 5-10 years as the panels go bad. I also need to use my precious water to clean them.

What about industry, that is the problem, Solar and Green energy will never power industry.

Solar cannot even pump the water it needs to operate, that power must come from coal.

Solar energy can not even pump water in California, Solar cannot even supply energy to california's water projects let alone help, Solar will never be used to pump one drop of water.

Yet we have Solar Power now and the higher cost I can not afford. I will be moving this summer out of California. It is too expensive.

This is a general statement to everyone promoting Green Energy, your idea is reality in Califonrnia, that and illegal immigration have now turned California into a third world. We have nice places surronded by the third world. Your Green Energy ideas are driving out the taxpayers and paying welfare to literal third world citizens, Tens of Millions of illegal aleins have invaded and now with the loss of jobs to California's and the Nation's Green Energy policy you dumb asses get to foot the bill, you get to pay for all the illegal aleins needs which includes expensive Green Energy.

Not only this, but your making corporations in China billions, you have saved Spain's companies from going bankrupt, you have made denmarks vestas rich as well as saved from bankruptsy.

And for what, so you can think you saved a drop of oil when in truth you used a lot more oil chasing solar panels across the globe.

Well Done.

That is actually a poor question, First and foremost the worlds entire economy is built with oil. How many jobs can Solar build world wide, can you use Solar to build lets say the Solar Industry, as in can you use Solar to supply the energy needed to build Solar panels, the answer is no. Solar is an extremely expensive high school experiment. Maybe in the future there will be a breathrough but the cost is pure tyranny.

Sending our money to the Middle East, gee, how about if we just let the whole world develop as they see fit, we can stay huddled within our borders, hiding from those tyrants we escaped, and we can watch the kinder, gentler world do a better job than us.

Ha, Ha.

There is one thing I have learned living in the third world and traveling across the globe, we have flaws and corruption but when it comes to developing the world there is nobody better than us.

Its a simple fact.

We owe it to the world at this point to continue to grow, but not green energy, if it cannot supply energy to industry its useless energy.

California has driven industry out of the state and raised electric rates to compensate the Utilities.

In the past, homes were powered by the tiny bit of electricity that leftover after industry used what they needed. I

So much to say, so much people never think of, cheap energy from the MIddle East, no cheaper oil in the world because its the easiest, cleaniest oil to refine, that is why Europe depends on Middle East oil, we could do without, Europe can not. That cheap oil is what we used to use to feed the world, to make the food, we as in the USA. Now because Liberal's hate people and population we took 25% of California's farms dependent on water out of production, water is the biggest bill for the California government, massive amounts of electricity are used to pump that water to farms that make food. We are also taking our Corn and turning that into energy, nice for the countries that depended on the USA's food. I think we supplied half the corn to the world, that is now gone because of our policies.

I think the policians realize that the world actually loves us so to change that they have made policies, rules, laws, and regulation that have decreased our exports of wheat and corn to the world.

That is a pretty lousy, selfish, shortsighted, thing to do.

I see it as criminal.

Yes, lets put Solar on our roofs and continue to shut down our industry and turn the USA into a third world.

Welcome to the board!

Liberal's generally wish and expect the USA to fail. Without subsidies green energy falls flat, subsidies, free loans, no taxes, no EPA studies, free land to build on.

Never in our history have we seen an entire industry built by government, the green energy is that industy, 100% paid for with government dollars including all the research, billions given to Universities to make green energy.

Nice way to go, 100% government, that is why it can not fail.

Don't even have to go the the government for it. There are companies that will install solar on your roof, if it has correct orientation, and gaurentee no increases in your energy bill for a number of years. Some even give you the system after the contract is up.

Much information on this site;

Solar (FAQs) Frequently Asked Questions: Solar Leasing, Installation and How Solar Works

Welcome to the board!

Liberal's generally wish and expect the USA to fail. Without subsidies green energy falls flat, subsidies, free loans, no taxes, no EPA studies, free land to build on.

Never in our history have we seen an entire industry built by government, the green energy is that industy, 100% paid for with government dollars including all the research, billions given to Universities to make green energy.

And never have we seen so many lying neocons making claims easily disproved.

Welcome to the board!

First, only small corperations pay the claimed business taxes. The big guys pay next to nothing. Second, 10% of a families income when they are only making $50,000 a year is a very large bite in their budget, considering that they still have SS and Medicare coming out of their wages. 10% of someones income that is making $1,000,000 a year is hardly noticable when it comes to style of living.

I would like to point out that during Clinton's terms, we raised the income tax, and it affected the economy so adversly that they eliminated penelties on SS income for working so they could get more workers into the economy. Then Bush reduced the taxes on the rich, and started a war off of the books, and this worked so well that the number of jobs created in his terms did not even keep up with the citizens graduating from high school and college.

Penelties on companies offshoring, tariffs on the products coming from countries with few or no labor and environmental regulations, would go a long way towards getting jobs back into this nation.

And never have we seen so many lying neocons making claims easily disproved.

Old Crock, I am sorry to see your age destroy your mind, I bet you that when you were young cutting down trees you were sharp as an axe.

So go ahead and disprove my claim, 100 % paid for by me, from all those research dollars you do not have to count to the waivers from environmental laws given to Green Energy, So easy to prove Old Crock yet you must ignore everyone of my posts and my threads.

How many threads or posts have you ran from Old Crock, I say at least one hundred posts I made in direct response to Old Crock's, and many times I use Old Crock's own links and sources, to prove Old Crock is wrong, so how many times must Old Crock run, to make it easy, how many times have you had nothing to say when I point out Old Crock's links do not even support Old Crock's claims, I bet I have done that at least a dozen times.

I like the time Old Crock said that you could make steel without oil or gas and then Old Crock posted a link, to an electric furnace, steel plant, Old Crock even made Old Crock the expert by stating Old Crock worked in the steel industry, so Old Crock posts a link to an Electric Arc blast furnace for steel that used Natural Gas and tried to make the claim Gas and Oil are not needed to make electricity.

That was great Old Crock,

Or how about the time Old Crock used Bloomquist as an expert on Geothermal energy and five posts later when I quoted Bloomquist Old Crock said Bloomquist was an idiot, a hack, I had to point out to Old Crock that Old Crock just stated the opposite.

Go ahead Old Crock, post something real good to show I am wrong, go ahead, I dare you to, I will even wait, I am in a bad mood and would enjoy showing the stupidity of Green Energy and all those who support it.

Your right there, it is easy for a country when they get to feed off the USA as well as having the added luxury of being tiny and insignificant. Germany, I doubt we will ever
see Germany producing the amount of food that the USA produces, you cannot power a farm with wind. Germany does not have to protect itself, does not provide for its own defense, another big burden gone.

Costa Rica, that is Hydro Electric dams, think they used a Wind Mill to pump and pour all that concrete into the dam or did they use oil?

Denmark, home of the Bankrupt Vesta Wind Turbine Manufacturer, a complete failure until California took my tax money and gave it to a Corporation in Denmark, must be nice to steal from me to give to foriegners.

While, you get to look at California's deficit and pay the price for all that money wasted on Wind Mills and Solar panels. The Obama administration is bailing out California's failed Green energy policy and Spain's.

Thats right our tax money now goes to Spain so that they do not go under because of Green Energy.

If we are a global economy, all interconnected, and Europe began subsidizing Green Energy before the Housing Bubble, what actually caused the World's economoy to collapse, Europes entire energy policy or less than 10% of the housing market in the USA.

Forum List

Back