That time President Carter did the same thing...

TemplarKormac

Political Atheist
Mar 30, 2013
The Land of Sanctuary
...Trump did. And I'm wondering, what circumstances were different between when Carter issued his order then, to now, when Trump issued his?

"Fourth, the Secretary of Treasury [State] and the Attorney General will invalidate all visas issued to Iranian citizens for future entry into the United States, effective today. We will not reissue visas, nor will we issue new visas, except for compelling and proven humanitarian reasons or where the national interest of our own country requires. This directive will be interpreted very strictly.

In order to minimize injury to the hostages, the United States has acted at all times with exceptional patience and restraint in this crisis. We have supported Secretary-General Waldheim's activities under the U.N. Security Council mandate to work for a peaceful solution. We will continue to consult with our allies and other friendly governments on the steps we are now taking and on additional measures which may be required."

--President Jimmy Carter, Sanctions Against Iran Remarks Announcing U.S. Actions

April 7, 1980

Jimmy Carter: Sanctions Against Iran Remarks Announcing U.S. Actions.

Anyone?

The Iranians were holding the entire staff off the US Embassy hostage in Tehran. That's what different. And it only involved the citizens of one country, and it wasn't based on religion.

The Iranians were holding the entire staff off the US Embassy hostage in Tehran. That's what different. And it only involved the citizens of one country, and it wasn't based on religion.

While you'd like to base Trump's ban based solely on religion, it turns out he's banning refugees from those countries not Muslim. Show me exactly where in his order that it specifies that only Muslim refugees be banned and I will have the mods delete this thread, right here and now. Until then...

FACT SHEET: Venezuela Executive Order

Last edited:
Neither is this based on religion. Muslims for other nations are not included in the ban.

While you'd like to base Trump's ban based solely on religion, it turns out he's banning refugees from those countries not Muslim. Show me exactly where in his order that it specifies that only Muslim refugees be banned and I will have the mods delete this thread, right here and now. Until then...

Trump has not banned "refugees" from anywhere.

So why all the uproar?

This actually concerns me.

If Trump is doing anything at all similar to Jimmy Carter, is likely a big mistake.

So why all the uproar?

The "uproar" is due to the fact that Trump essentially banned students and families from those countries from entering the country - it has nothing to do with refugees.

So why all the uproar?

The "uproar" is due to the fact that Trump essentially banned students and families from those countries from entering the country - it has nothing to do with refugees.

What part of his EO says that?

So why all the uproar?

All of it.

Do you not understand the difference between limiting visa waivers and ending visas entirely?

My understanding is irrelevant.

No, it's actually the entire crux of the issue at hand.

What was your purpose in posting that link?

The title of the link explains the purpose.

So why all the uproar?

All of it.

That's not a sufficient answer.

Do you not understand the difference between limiting visa waivers and ending visas entirely?

My understanding is irrelevant.

No, it's actually the entire crux of the issue at hand.

What was your purpose in posting that link?

The title of the link explains the purpose.

:lol:

No, the title of the link does not "explain" what your point was.

So why all the uproar?

All of it.

That's not a sufficient answer.

Actually, it is.

Have you read the EO?

Do you understand it?

Forum List

Back