Thanksgiving....what's that all about?

Oz and the Orchestra

Platinum Member
May 25, 2020
Lake District England
History[change | change source]
English people often declared a "Thanksgiving" when something good happened. The London Company had a "day of Thanksgiving" at Berkeley Hundred, Virginia in 1619 to celebrate their new colony.

In 1620 the Mayflower brought the Pilgrims to Massachusetts. They made their new home in what is now Plymouth, Massachusetts, 380 km northeast of what is now New York.

Half of the Pilgrims died during their first winter in North America. They were cold and did not have enough food. The following year, though, the Native Americans, who were from the Wampanoag tribe, helped them grow crops. At harvest time in the autumn of 1621 they were very thankful that they had a good crop of food to eat during the coming winter. They thanked God and the Native Americans for teaching them how to grow the local foods.

They invited three of the Wampanoags who had helped them to their feast. They were Squanto, Samoset, and Chief Massasoit. The Wampanoags brought their families. This was over 90 people. There were so many people that the Pilgrims did not have enough food to make the meal, so the Wampanoags brought along their own food for the feast.

The Wampanoags brought turkey, duck, fish, deer, berries, squash, and cornbread. They also brought vegetables that they had farmed and shown the Pilgrims how to care for.

Wikipedpa

God those Pilgrims must have been some dumb mother*******. They left Plymouth heading for what they must have known would be a pretty virgin land with no developed society just so-called savages and wild animals. It seems they never considered they might need farmers.
Half of them died from cold and not having enough to eat?
Ha ha ha it seems that they can't have been that proficient at making a fire and had not bothered to bring shotguns to shoot wild animals both as a vital food source and to skin for furs.

Seems it was down to the local Indians to come to their aid the second winter, how embarrassing. The Wampanoag's must have thought - ' Golly we've got a right bunch here."

So in thanks, the Pilgrims invited them to a thanksgiving feast but only made enough food for 3 Indians, the tight bastards.
So the 90 odd Indians had to go back and bring their own turkey, duck, fish, deer, berries, squash, and cornbread. They also brought vegetables.
Squash ha ha ha. they brought squash, ha ha ha. If I'd have been a pilgrim I'd have joined the indians.

Of course, the Indians never did let on that there was a medieval version of Walmart on the other side of the forest.

Now every other Christian society makes Christmas & Easter the biggest celebration feasts of the year but no not you yanks - you always have to be different don't you - I mean going on to Halloween, what the feck?

As far as I can see Thanksgiving should be a national embarrassment particularly as you went on to perpetrate one of the worst genocides in world history against those who had saved you, over the next 400 years.

I think Wednesday Adams had the right attitude to Thanksgiving-

Following on - what is this Independence Day all about?

• Love
Reactions: cnm
It's about Brits killing Indians.

19760018-7577171-image-a-76_1571173757600.jpg

English people often declared a "Thanksgiving" when something good happened. The London Company had a "day of Thanksgiving" at Berkeley Hundred, Virginia in 1619 to celebrate their new colony.

In 1620 the Mayflower brought the Pilgrims to Massachusetts. They made their new home in what is now Plymouth, Massachusetts, 380 km northeast of what is now New York.

Half of the Pilgrims died during their first winter in North America. They were cold and did not have enough food. The following year, though, the Native Americans, who were from the Wampanoag tribe, helped them grow crops. At harvest time in the autumn of 1621 they were very thankful that they had a good crop of food to eat during the coming winter. They thanked God and the Native Americans for teaching them how to grow the local foods.

They invited three of the Wampanoags who had helped them to their feast. They were Squanto, Samoset, and Chief Massasoit. The Wampanoags brought their families. This was over 90 people. There were so many people that the Pilgrims did not have enough food to make the meal, so the Wampanoags brought along their own food for the feast.

The Wampanoags brought turkey, duck, fish, deer, berries, squash, and cornbread. They also brought vegetables that they had farmed and shown the Pilgrims how to care for.

Wikipedpa

God those Pilgrims must have been some dumb mother*******. They left Plymouth heading for what they must have known would be a pretty virgin land with no developed society just so-called savages and wild animals. It seems they never considered they might need farmers.
Ha ha ha it seems that they can't have been that proficient at making a fire and had not bothered to bring shotguns to shoot wild animals both as a vital food source and to skin for furs.

Seems it was down to the local Indians to come to their aid the second winter, how embarrassing. The Wampanoag's must have thought - ' Golly we've got a right bunch here."

So in thanks, the Pilgrims invited them to a thanksgiving feast but only made enough food for 3 Indians, the tight bastards.
So the 90 odd Indians had to go back and bring their own turkey, duck, fish, deer, berries, squash, and cornbread. They also brought vegetables.
Squash ha ha ha. they brought squash, ha ha ha. If I'd have been a pilgrim I'd have joined the indians.

Of course, the Indians never did let on that there was a medieval version of Walmart on the other side of the forest.

Now every other Christian society makes Christmas & Easter the biggest celebration feasts of the year but no not you yanks - you always have to be different don't you - I mean going on to Halloween, what the feck?

As far as I can see Thanksgiving should be a national embarrassment particularly as you went on to perpetrate one of the worst genocides in world history against those who had saved you, over the next 400 years.

Shot guns in 1492?

Wikipedpa

When are you going to buy some aircraft carriers?

Wikipedpa

YOU are the dumb MOFO.......

The joke doesn't work for us Americans who know they were headed to an already established colony in Virginia. You might want to change it to mock their lack of navigation skills.

Wikipedpa

Boris Johnson announced yesterday that he is to massively increase military spending so watch out world we are on our way back to the top.

First thing he will tell America is to stop arguing and get your shit together. Stop questioning everything - elections, pandemics, wearing a mask - next you'll be accusing Sir Isaac Newton of being a limmy old commie pedo that got his Theory of Gravity upside down.

Take it from us if it's on the BBC it's true!

Wikipedpa

Boris Johnson announced yesterday that he is to massively increase military spending so watch out world we are on our way back to the top.

First thing he will tell America is to stop arguing and get your shit together. Stop questioning everything - elections, pandemics, wearing a mask - next you'll be accusing Sir Isaac Newton of being a limmy old commie pedo that got his Theory of Gravity upside down.

dab88967720a54824b36960580007f71.jpg

Wikipedpa

Gravity is a myth, it doesn't work around black holes

View attachment 420889

Ghandi is running a liquor store in Tottenham now?

I wonder what ever happened to him.
He had this crazy notion that Great Britain wasn't entitled to run the world - imagine!
Anyway seems his own folk were not that keen on him either and shot him though I think that may have been down to his dress sense, or complete lack of it.

Wikipedpa

Gravity is a myth, it doesn't work around black holes

That is no way to talk about Chicago!

Wikipedpa

Wasn't that Adams chick on Hunters top of lap

Thanksgiving is all about giving thanks, to Almighty God.

America is a nation where our motto is "In God We Trust", and a nation where our Pledge says clearly we are "one nation, UNDER GOD" Our laws are based upon Almighty God's laws. God wrote "Thou shalt not steal", America proceeded to outlaw robberies, larcenies , burglaries. God wrote "Thou shalt not bear False Witness" and to this day, perjury is prohibited.

I've often wondered about that myself. Giving thanks to the Indians who helped them to survive at Plymouth Rock. They eventually annihilated every Indian in sight and even the garish Plymouth went out of production 20 years ago.

Plymouth.jpg

Independence Day signifies George Washington's endeavour to become King of the colonies and the end of the English language (or any other) to be taught in their schools. To be honest it was the end of any pretence of education what-so-ever.

School.jpg

Thanksgiving is all about giving thanks, to Almighty God.

America is a nation where our motto is "In God We Trust", and a nation where our Pledge says clearly we are "one nation, UNDER GOD" Our laws are based upon Almighty God's laws. God wrote "Thou shalt not steal", America proceeded to outlaw robberies, larcenies , burglaries. God wrote "Thou shalt not bear False Witness" and to this day, perjury is prohibited.
You mean Moses apparently wrote as God instructed him.

.....and to this day perjury... Ha ha ha! Did anyone ever tell Trump?

I've often wondered about that myself. Giving thanks to the Indians who helped them to survive at Plymouth Rock. They eventually annihilated every Indian in sight and even the garish Plymouth went out of production 20 years ago.

View attachment 420904

Independence Day signifies George Washington's endeavour to become King of the colonies and the end of the English language (or any other) to be taught in their schools. To be honest it was the end of any pretence of education what-so-ever.

View attachment 420905
That's certainly an interesting 'slant' on the accepted historical narrative.

View attachment 420889
That was at Amritsar, not Plymouth Rock.
Na it was them Moslems what did it, or perhaps the Sikhs - something to do with ownership of that Golden Temple. Hindus, Moslems & Sikhs. - we had no end of trouble trying to keep them apart and from killing each other and us.
Why are Brits always accused of killing everyone when all we wanted was law & order to be maintained.

New Topics

Forum List

Back