Test Prep

It is not only about that. I can't believe you didn't even once experience this subjectivity on your own.

Oh, I definitely did. I lost a job opportunity to an affirmative action hire a few years ago, and when she did the job, she was utterly useless.

And you know what, I got over it. Eventually I got a much better job because being a white male, I am vastly advantaged in the job market. (Although being a college educated veteran also helps.)

You can't tell black people to work hard and then they never get any of the good jobs or opportunities.

"Making up for" doesn't work, even if it soothes your pathetic 'guilt.'

Sure it does. Affirmative Action has created a black middle class...

It's not about my guilt. I am going to be fine no matter what. I've bounced back from every setback I've had in my life and I've had a lot of them.

Now, I could be a selfish prick and say "I live in a nice neighborhood, I have a nice job, a nice house, a nice car and things are going well. I've got mine, fuck you."

But other people having oppurtunities doesn't take anything away from me.

Sure you did, loser.

Actually, yes, I did... I was on a contract and was being considered for a full time position, and they hired an African American woman instead.

But then I got a better job because an Asian-American woman I was nice to over a decade ago helped me network into that position.

You approach the universe with good intentions, things often work out.

The problems with standardized testing range far beyond concerns about affirmative action or who gets compared to whom elsewhere. Of course having standards is a good idea where practical, but we live in a country where education has increasingly turned into a commodity. Teaching to the test, meaning forget your culture or where you reasonably expect to live -- we're just going to focus on these ridiculously expensive, internationally standardized tests published by billionaires so that you're best prepared to work for any multinational corporation anywhere. And if you don't do well, the billionaires will see to it that your entire school is punished and that you're marked as a hopeless loser for life.

Forum List

Back