Ted Cruz backs county clerks denying marriage licenses to gay couples

Texas will pass laws saying government employees don't have to follow the law if they don't feel like it.
Texas will be sued
Texas will lose
Pretty much & taxpayers will be fleeced for the bill
Easily avoided if everyone simply obeyed the Constitution and rule of law.

So much for republicans being 'fiscally responsible.'

Do so, there are plenty of lawyers seeking billable hours....
The real winners in this whole farce.
They get paid well when you ignore the laws of this land so, don't...
I promise I will ignore two men who claim to be married. I will not hate them. I will ignore their imaginary relationship that fools have managed to convince other fools really exists. Do they live together....yes. Do they love one another....yes. Are they married....not if marriage has any meaning. The more I think about it the more I think we should end marriage. Do what you want. Don't label it. End the benefits. End all the legal mumbo jumbo. Then what will you whine about next?

I promise I will ignore two men who claim to be married. I will not hate them. I will ignore their imaginary relationship that fools have managed to convince other fools really exists. Do they live together....yes. Do they love one another....yes. Are they married....not if marriage has any meaning. The more I think about it the more I think we should end marriage. Do what you want. Don't label it. End the benefits. End all the legal mumbo jumbo. Then what will you whine about next?
The whining is yours, you lost.

Marriage is in you heart not on some stupid piece of government sanctioned paper. And I have been anti marriage for some time. It's a fools game.

MSNBC ^ | 06/28/15 12:50 AM | Adam Howard
Sen. Ted Cruz is ready to rain on the parade of Texas citizens celebrating the Supreme Court decision on Friday to legalize same-sex marriage throughout the country.
On Saturday, the 2016 Republican presidential candidate said he “absolutely” believes that his state’s country clerks should deny marriage licenses to same-sex couples if they have a religious objection, in an interview with The Texas Tribune.
“Ours is a country that was built by men and women fleeing religious oppression,” Cruz told the newspaper, “and you look at the foundation of this country—it was to seek out a new land where anyone of us could worship the Lord God Almighty with all of our hearts, minds and souls, without government getting in the way.”

Ted cruz is consistent in his beliefs. Not a flip flopper.

If your religion prevents you from doing your job, get another job. As the State doesn't have a religion or religious convictions. And representatives of the state forcing citizens of that State to abide their personal religious beliefs is the establishment of religion.

Though I am curious......if your religious conviction allows you to force others to abide your religious beliefs, then does the religious conviction of say, Muslims allow them to force you to abide their religious beliefs? If a county clerk didn't feel you were following Sharia....could they deny you services? Could a fundamentalist Muslim judge refuse to rule in a manner that conflicted with Sharia? Could a Muslim cop refuse to take your daughter's DV complaint when her husband beat the shit out of her because she wasn't wearing a burka?

If not, why not?

It's safe to sat Ted ain't winning the nomination, nor will Santorum. Hatin gays just ain't popular anymore, just look at how Obama changed his position on that (after he was elected).

And I promise they won't care. You an continue to be upset while the rest of the nation moves on, and we won't care. The world will be as it is whether you acknowledge it or not.

“Ours is a country that was built by men and women fleeing religious oppression,” Cruz told the newspaper, “and you look at the foundation of this country—it was to seek out a new land where anyone of us could worship the Lord God Almighty with all of our hearts, minds and souls, without government getting in the way

Fine words by Senator Cruz

I'm sure they would apply equally to a Muslim government employee who felt he needed to impose Sharia laws into his job. After all, we don't want the "government getting in the way" of his Muslim faith

The whining is yours, you lost.
I didn't lose anything. You lost the lining in your asshole.

“Ours is a country that was built by men and women fleeing religious oppression,” Cruz told the newspaper, “and you look at the foundation of this country—it was to seek out a new land where anyone of us could worship the Lord God Almighty with all of our hearts, minds and souls, without government getting in the way

Fine words by Senator Cruz

I'm sure they would apply equally to a Muslim government employee who felt he needed to impose Sharia laws into his job. After all, we don't want the "government getting in the way" of his Muslim faith

Being the "Constitutional Scholar" that Ted Cruz is, I'm sure he understands that he cannot pass laws that are restricted to just harrassing gays who wish to get married

If he wants to stop the "government getting in the way"of religious beliefs, he needs to open it up to all religions and all beliefs

I doubt if Ted is willing to do that

MSNBC ^ | 06/28/15 12:50 AM | Adam Howard
Sen. Ted Cruz is ready to rain on the parade of Texas citizens celebrating the Supreme Court decision on Friday to legalize same-sex marriage throughout the country.
On Saturday, the 2016 Republican presidential candidate said he “absolutely” believes that his state’s country clerks should deny marriage licenses to same-sex couples if they have a religious objection, in an interview with The Texas Tribune.
“Ours is a country that was built by men and women fleeing religious oppression,” Cruz told the newspaper, “and you look at the foundation of this country—it was to seek out a new land where anyone of us could worship the Lord God Almighty with all of our hearts, minds and souls, without government getting in the way.”

Ted cruz is consistent in his beliefs. Not a flip flopper.
Consistently wrong and consistently ignorant of the constitution he took an oath to enforce. Should Catholic Clerks be permitted to deny a marriage license to a divorced Catholic who has not obtained an annulment? That marriage would be contrary to their faith. The notion that a government official should be able to refuse to do the ministerial task of issuing a license because their personal religious faith tells them the marriage is wrong is beyond ridiculous. How about a Catholic Judge refusing to impose the death sentence returned by a jury?

PaintMyHouse Below is the link to the full text of Paxton’s opinion. Not sure where the warning is to the clerks that they might face legal action

https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/opinions/opinions/51paxton/op/2015/kp0025.pdf
And the two most important paragraphs:

Factual situations may arise in which the county clerk seeks to delegate the issuance of same-sex marriage licenses due to a religious objection, but every employee also has a religious objection to participating in same-sex-marriage licensure. In that scenario, were a clerk to issue traditional marriage licenses while refusing to issue same-sex marriage licenses, it is conceivable that an applicant for a same-sex marriage license may claim a violation of the constitution. If instead, a county clerk chooses to issue no marriage licenses at all, it raises at least two questions. First, a clerk opting to issue no licenses at all may find himself or herself in tension with the requirement under state law that a clerk "shall" issue marriage licenses to conforming applications. TEX. FAM. CODE ANN.§ 2.008(a) (West 2006). A court must balance this statutory duty against the clerk's constitutional rights as well as statutory rights under the Religious Freedom Restoration Acts. Second, a court must also weigh the constitutional right of the applicant to obtain a same-sex marriage license. Such a factually specific inquiry is beyond the scope of what this opinion can answer.

In other words, there is a right for gay people to marry, even in Texas, and a clerk has a statutory duty (i.e. "shall" issue) a marriage license to anyone meeting the statutory definition; a definition that can no longer be limited to opposite sex. His opinion, when read thoroughly, makes to definitive statement that clerks do not have to issue marriage licenses.

You seem to be the one whining about how people you have never met want to live their lives.

You seem to be the one whining about how people you have never met want to live their lives.
The only way I know about them is your whining.

The only way I know about them is your whining.
So, you were not aware that there have been countless Court cases decided over the last decade or so addressing the issue of marriage equality? You ought to try to keep up with current events a little more.

Forum List

Back