Teacher Compensation

I was an electronics technician in the Navy for a little over a year. Graduated from college and spent 10 years as a commissioned officer, one year as an insurance salesman for AUL, two years as benefits enrollment rep for AT&T, and then 21 years as a teacher, No real jobs, huh?
You don’t have a teaching degree. Does unkotare agree anyone can be a teacher? I have a degree and just as much experience as you. Can I teach?

You just admitted to coming to this thread for no other reason than to troll, idiot.
Turtlesoup is right. Better to homeschool than send them to you

The home-educated typically score 15 to 30 percentile points above public-school students on standardized academic achievement tests. ... 78% of peer-reviewed studies on academic achievement show homeschool students perform statistically significantly better than those in institutional schools

Many jobs are hard. You can have an idea how impossible teaching has become by how few college students are going into it and how many people leave the profession within 5 years. Put another way. If it was such a great deal people would flock to it. They are not. In fact, we can't get people to even sub anymore. Schools in our own state closing for this very reason. I had to substitute in a kindergarten room last week because no subs.

Again. Free market. If it's so great, there would be people. I LOVE teaching. But it's not so great anymore, for many reasons.
It was great when teachers got pensions. Even then it was tough but worth it. I hear those don’t exist for new teachers. And they no longer get paid like older teachers. If you got your masters the pay jumped to something like $80,000. That’s a good living especially when they know a pensions coming after 20 years.

If those things don’t exist anymore, you might want to consider putting them back.

But republicans and corporations have been squeezing us private workers like this for decades. A lot of perks got taken away. Now republicans have won. If you only work 8 months, only pay you for 8. And no pensions. Those don’t exist anymore. Sorry. 401k like the rest of us. And no collective bargaining for a raise. It’s up to each of you to try to get a raise. Good luck

Homeschool students on average easily outshine public school students-----charter and even the religious schools easily outdo the public school students on study after study after study for decades. But yes, good Parents teach their kids whether they are homeschooled or in public school. If you aint got a parent teaching their kid, public school ain't going to do it...ergo public school serves as little more than babysitters who indoctrinate for the most part. Maybe we should get rid of the teachers and their unions, hire cheaper daycare providers and send a list and worksheets of what each student should learn to the home...holding the parent responsible for teaching their own kid.

This includes ridding ourselves of those stupid zoom classes online where the teacher tries to justify her/his/its job rambling online which doesn't teach kids.

You, sir, are an idiot when it comes to education.

Your first statement is a bald-faced lie that is easy shown to be false. Every "study" that you public education bashers has ever provided on this forum regarding home schooling has been proven to violate the rules of statistics.

I taught for 21 years and never once "indoctrinated" a student. My children all attended public schools and not one of them was ever "indoctrinated". My three grandchildren all attend public schools, and not one of them has been in "indoctrinated". Those schools were in Kentucky, Florida, Washington, Texas, and Tennessee. That is enough evidence that teachers do not indoctrinate in all schools, but just a few in liberal dominated cities and states.

Worksheets may have been the way you were taught, but how do you use a worksheet to teach any subject? They are for practice using the knowledge they have attained.

Those "zoom" classes were not the teacher's choice as it is much harder to teach on-line than in person.

Why don't you get an education for yourself before bashing your betters?

It was great when teachers got pensions. Even then it was tough but worth it. I hear those don’t exist for new teachers. And they no longer get paid like older teachers. If you got your masters the pay jumped to something like $80,000. That’s a good living especially when they know a pensions coming after 20 years.

If those things don’t exist anymore, you might want to consider putting them back.

But republicans and corporations have been squeezing us private workers like this for decades. A lot of perks got taken away. Now republicans have won. If you only work 8 months, only pay you for 8. And no pensions. Those don’t exist anymore. Sorry. 401k like the rest of us. And no collective bargaining for a raise. It’s up to each of you to try to get a raise. Good luck

Or idk maybe you're just not trying hard enough. One of my kids is a Senior in college. She's already accepted a job offer in the private sector making easily what a 15+ year teacher makes in Michigan. She has excellent time off, benefits, perks, etc.

Kind of agree. Sweetsue92 said I wouldn’t last one day. And she’s probably right. But she wouldn’t last one month at my job either. She wouldn’t want to do what it takes to find a new customer. Even my superiors say they wouldn’t want to do what I do and thank god they have me. If not the business might fail. Lot of pressure. Bla bla bla.

But I only get 3 weeks off. It was 2 for 5 years. Imagine only having 10 days of vacation time.

Yea I wouldn’t want to teach 150 kids a day for 8 months but if I got 4 months off and a pension when I retire and I make $80k give or take $10k? Shit.

It's not "8 months". We start around August 20th. We are done mid-June. We get two weeks at Christmas and a week in April. We are contracted and paid for 185 days. We are not paid a "year round" salary.

I would not want to do what you do, but I didn't make the claim that anyone could do it, it's easy. YOU did, about my job. Yeah? Really? I don't think so. I LOVE teaching, but I realize it's difficult and not for everyone.

In case of fact---regardless of pay, government paid teachers fail do as well as homeschooling parents or charter school teachers, but yet they whine and whine and mo money mo money for working their part time job with benefits.

Have you ever logically reasoned through the claims you are making? OF COURSE homeschooled children do well by and large. They have parents so invested that one can work while the other stays home to school them. HELLO???

Charter schools, same effect. Parents take the time and effort to research schools they want their children to attend. Great. Parental involvement is key.

So, brain trust, what do you propose to do with all the children whose parents are negligent, abusive, strung out on drugs, attempted to sell their kids into trafficking, etc. You gonna force those kids into other people's homeschools? Or what? What you got?

It's not "8 months". We start around August 20th. We are done mid-June. We get two weeks at Christmas and a week in April. We are contracted and paid for 185 days. We are not paid a "year round" salary.

I would not want to do what you do, but I didn't make the claim that anyone could do it, it's easy. YOU did, about my job. Yeah? Really? I don't think so. I LOVE teaching, but I realize it's difficult and not for everyone.
Every job seems easy to me. Unless its finance, accounting, computers, math or engineering.

Like Human Resources. How hard can that be?

Or a preacher. Seems like an easy gig.

I'm an old man and would gladly teach nay sort of shop class for $0.
Problem with me is I "might" say. "STFU and get out of my shop asshole".
No longer permitted
My old WW2-Korea lie shop teachers would slam you against the wall , if needed.
Seldom.Good dudes.I stayed friends with a few for 50 years

Every job seems easy to me. Unless its finance, accounting, computers, math or engineering.

Like Human Resources. How hard can that be?

Or a preacher. Seems like an easy gig.

Well, you have a big mouth but not such a big imagination to be honest. All I had to do was explain my job to you and you were like, oh yeah. You don't think Human Resources is hard? I don't even do that job but if I explained it to you, you would fold there too. You wanna figure out Obamacare? Really?

You need to think more and type less to be honest.

Well, you have a big mouth but not such a big imagination to be honest. All I had to do was explain my job to you and you were like, oh yeah. You don't think Human Resources is hard? I don't even do that job but if I explained it to you, you would fold there too. You wanna figure out Obamacare? Really?

You need to think more and type less to be honest.
I’m not saying I’m right. I’m just saying I look at what I see hr people do and it looks easy. Like, how do you fail?

A salesperson can not hit his numbers.

A computer person can fail at fixing the problem.

How does a teacher fail? I never saw a teacher get fired half way through the year because they were failing. Or because not enough students were learning. Never

I’m not saying I’m right. I’m just saying I look at what I see hr people do and it looks easy. Like, how do you fail?

A salesperson can not hit his numbers.

A computer person can fail at fixing the problem.

How does a teacher fail? I never saw a teacher get fired half way through the year because they were failing. Or because not enough students were learning. Never
/----/ I think you're just being contrary to get attention. I know teachers who were fired for a variety of reasons including:
Here are some of the attitudes to avoid, as well as things you should refrain from doing.

Reason #1: Incompetent. Teachers must pass a set of qualifications before being assigned a specific class or subject. Education is one of the most dynamic professions since, as much as possible, inculcation of recent items must be encouraged in class. Dynamism must also be exercised by mentors. When we talk about incompetent teachers, we are not referring to how many students this particular teacher failed. The ratio of passing and failing is not solely dependent on the teacher. But if this teacher is not improving her lesson plans, not attending seminars for knowledge improvement and remaining still in his current comprehension and lectures, these are big reasons enough to fire him.

Reason #2: Disrespectful. Teachers must exude compassion towards their students regardless of their level of intelligence. It is a fact that students must exercise respect inside the school and most especially in the classroom. Mentors must also follow this rule. Even if they are way above their students in terms of skills, they must also value them. It is a bad example to humiliate one of your subordinates because he can't read or write well. It is even harsh if you tend to control your students in the way you want them to work. I know you are following a strict rule to not only impart lessons but to discipline them as well. But if you are going over the line, with students complaining about your attitude, it may be time to stop pursuing this career.

Reason #3: Lack of skills. Teachers must have more than just good teaching skills. There are in fact many attitudes a teacher should tap in order to become effective. If you happen to assess that you are only good at imparting lessons but lack interpersonal skills, better be aware that this can be used against you. An educator must know how to extend his lessons beyond the books or journals. He must also exercise organization and management. Aside from teaching, mentors are also leaders and class organizers. Somehow, in one way or another, this must be found within you. Such lack of skills only paves the way for more trouble and problems on your end, leaving your students clueless for the whole year.

Article Source: Top Reasons Why Teachers Get Fired

/----/ I think you're just being contrary to get attention. I know teachers who were fired for a variety of reasons including:
Here are some of the attitudes to avoid, as well as things you should refrain from doing.

Reason #1: Incompetent. Teachers must pass a set of qualifications before being assigned a specific class or subject. Education is one of the most dynamic professions since, as much as possible, inculcation of recent items must be encouraged in class. Dynamism must also be exercised by mentors. When we talk about incompetent teachers, we are not referring to how many students this particular teacher failed. The ratio of passing and failing is not solely dependent on the teacher. But if this teacher is not improving her lesson plans, not attending seminars for knowledge improvement and remaining still in his current comprehension and lectures, these are big reasons enough to fire him.

Reason #2: Disrespectful. Teachers must exude compassion towards their students regardless of their level of intelligence. It is a fact that students must exercise respect inside the school and most especially in the classroom. Mentors must also follow this rule. Even if they are way above their students in terms of skills, they must also value them. It is a bad example to humiliate one of your subordinates because he can't read or write well. It is even harsh if you tend to control your students in the way you want them to work. I know you are following a strict rule to not only impart lessons but to discipline them as well. But if you are going over the line, with students complaining about your attitude, it may be time to stop pursuing this career.

Reason #3: Lack of skills. Teachers must have more than just good teaching skills. There are in fact many attitudes a teacher should tap in order to become effective. If you happen to assess that you are only good at imparting lessons but lack interpersonal skills, better be aware that this can be used against you. An educator must know how to extend his lessons beyond the books or journals. He must also exercise organization and management. Aside from teaching, mentors are also leaders and class organizers. Somehow, in one way or another, this must be found within you. Such lack of skills only paves the way for more trouble and problems on your end, leaving your students clueless for the whole year.

Article Source: Top Reasons Why Teachers Get Fired
Well we all know the story of the bad burned out teacher who couldn’t be fired because they had tenure.

Well we all know the story of the bad burned out teacher who couldn’t be fired because they had tenure.
We all know the story of the utterly shameless sales monkey douche in a bad suit playing with his died mustache, trying to scam some old lady into buying a lemon.

Forum List

Back