Teacher Compensation

The OP thinks that because he can offer take it or leave it salaries for women who stock his shelves....we should do the same with those who educate our children

Also seems to be under the impression that a good teacher doesn't take their work home for several hours in the evening. Lesson plans, grading, helping out with sports programs, music or plays....

I think Hills only retired old people, and teachers thinking they would be making what the top graduate at an Ivy League school would be getting is their own naive nature. Every time I hear a teacher complain about their pay, I tell them, "Well quit and go into the private sector." I have yet to see someone do it.
Actually, the majority do that...thus such a high turnover rate within the first five years and a teacher shortage.

I think Hills only retired old people, and teachers thinking they would be making what the top graduate at an Ivy League school would be getting is their own naive nature. Every time I hear a teacher complain about their pay, I tell them, "Well quit and go into the private sector." I have yet to see someone do it.
Actually, the majority do that...thus such a high turnover rate within the first five years and a teacher shortage.
We get the educational system we deserve

We even have Betsy DeVos looking after it

When I was in retailing many years ago (with Hill's Department Stores), we had a job that needed to be done. Empty boxes of incoming stuff and stock the shelves. We were an absolutely-self-serve discount department store, so the most convenient time to do this was the middle of the day. We employed a small army of WOMEN under the following employment paradigm: You work from 10:00am to 2:00pm, with one 15-minute break, at slightly over minimum wage. No benefits, no vacation, no raises, no nothing. We were absolutely clear with applicants that this was the deal.

Who would take such a job? Happy housewives wanting a little extra money, moms who wanted to work a schedule that allowed them to continue being full-time moms, "retired" women. We had no trouble finding and keeping women to take these positions, and turnover was negligible. They required minimal supervision, and got the job done.

At around the same time, a friend of mine was an elected State Representative in the Pennsylvania House of Representatives. His salary was about $6,000/yr, with minimal benefits. It wasn't a full-time job, but the commitment was pretty-much full time, due to constituent needs.

Who would take such a job? Mostly lawyers, but also business owners who had flexible schedules, farmers, people with other sources of income (a working spouse?), people who had retired from their careers. The occasional crook.

In both of these cases, you have a "job" that DOES NOT PAY A LIVING WAGE. People considering that "job" have to assess, in advance, whether it satisfies their personal needs, and if it doesn't, they need to look elsewhere. There is nothing unreasonable about this, on the part of the employer. The employer, in structuring the job in this way, recognizes that MOST PEOPLE will not be willing to take the job under these constraints, so they are passing on possibly the "best people for the job," but it's a tradeoff.

Not surprisingly, the legislators in Pennsylvania gradually over many years declared that Representative was a FULL-TIME job, and they have paid themselves accordingly, including splendid benefits, and a pension to die for, if you will excuse the totally inappropriate metaphor.

And now we come to TEACHERS.

In many states, the State has decided, wisely or not, to compensate their teachers at a wage that is significantly less than what an exemplary college graduate might make at a full-time job in the private sector (or even in Government). Why would they do such a thing? Well, there's June, July, and August, and the fact that it's arguably not a "full-time job" in the other months of the year (after the first couple years).

But it doesn't really matter WHY they pay their teachers what they do. Maybe they have made a decision, based on the best information they have available, that they can staff their schools adequately at this wage. Maybe they know that at that wage, they will not get the most economically ambitious grads, they will not get many STEM graduates, and High Schools Chemistry in, say, West Virginia, will be taught by History majors who have taken a couple of college Chem classes, rather than a grad with a degree in Organic Chemistry.

But there is no deception here. Applicants for teaching positions in those states know exactly what they will be making, and there is no promise of riches down the road. They have to decide whether that wage and those benefits will meet their needs, and if it doesn't, they need to look elsewhere. The State knows that many would-be teachers will go into another field or leave the state. But they have made that decision, and so be it. (One might point out that the teachers in states where teachers are WELL paid are rarely Phi Beta Kappa material either).

So massive strikes against such State Education Systems are bullshit. As with collective bargaining, they are a Leftist-led assault on the hapless taxpayers, in the name of "fairness."

Since when is it unfair to keep one's promises, as the respective States have done? If you don't like it, if you can't live on those wages, then go somewhere else. Most people in the Real World do this periodically throughout their working lives, with little trauma or gnashing of teeth. The state schools will have NO TROUBLE replacing each and every teacher who departs.
/----/ And why my property taxes are near $10,000 a year (Schools are funded via property tax) MAny districts are Union Free but not all.
2016-2017 teacher and administrator pay
2016-2017 teacher and administrator pay
Nearly 250,000 teachers and administrators statewide, excluding New York City, were paid $15,852,056,522.93 during the 2016-2017 school year.

Nearly 250,000 teachers and administrators statewide, excluding in New York City, were paid $15,852,056,522.93 during the 2016-2017 school year, according to data reported to the New York State Teachers Retirement System obtained under the state's Freedom of Information Act. That amounts to an average of $64,512.95 per member of the retirement system, an increase of 3.7 percent from the year before.

Here are the unaudited details available to the state as of Sept. 1, 2017; those records may be updated as employers report additional data or amend prior reporting records. Here are links to comparable data for teachers and administrators for 2015-2016 and 2014-2015. This database was posted on Sept. 8, 2017.
Name Start Date Last Known Employer Amount
Abulafia, Ovadia 11/17/1997 SUNY Health Science Center at Brooklyn $563,870.51
Lucchesi, Michael P 5/2/1994 SUNY Health Science Center at Brooklyn $529,440.01
Lazzaro, Douglas R 7/11/2001 SUNY Health Science Center at Brooklyn $477,340.43
Brown, Joyce F 9/1/1968 Fashion Institute of Technology $420,576.28
Fallon, Kelly A 9/1/1984 Half Hollow Hills Central Schools $397,933.03
Takeuchi, Esther S 9/1/2007 SUNY at Stony Brook $394,032.02
Tuttle, Stephen P 10/17/2011 Fashion Institute of Technology $378,294.52
Hunderfund, Anna F 9/3/1974 Locust Valley Central Schools $373,664.90
Wool, Louis N 9/1/1981 Harrison Central Schools $371,060.85
Grishman, Henry L 9/1/1967 Jericho Union Free Schools $365,354.02
Kersich, Peter J 9/1/1986 William Floyd Union Free Schools $351,627.40
Goodman, Amy J 12/14/1981 Greenburgh-Graham Union Free Schools $345,132.65

You are the dumbass living in the People's Republic of New York! No sympathy here pal!

Both of my parents were teachers for part of their work lives. Both of them went into the field understanding they would not be getting rich doing so. It was a calling for them. One they were both loathe to leave, but did so. Though neither decision was about money.

Teachers, or at least the ones who have done some research before they chose the profession, know what they're getting into.

They're also Unionized employees. If you didn't like the contract, you shouldn't have voted for it. It it takes actual balls to walk a picket line when you're not getting paid.

If I had any empathy I would probably be somewhat sympathetic to some of these teachers. However, the fact that they continue to go above and beyond, and cut their own proverbial noses off by doing so, tells me most of them don't have the guts to do what's necessary to fix the problems.

Both of my parents were teachers for part of their work lives. Both of them went into the field understanding they would not be getting rich doing so. It was a calling for them. One they were both loathe to leave, but did so. Though neither decision was about money.

Teachers, or at least the ones who have done some research before they chose the profession, know what they're getting into.

They're also Unionized employees. If you didn't like the contract, you shouldn't have voted for it. It it takes actual balls to walk a picket line when you're not getting paid.

If I had any empathy I would probably be somewhat sympathetic to some of these teachers. However, the fact that they continue to go above and beyond, and cut their own proverbial noses off by doing so, tells me most of them don't have the guts to do what's necessary to fix the problems.

More ignorance?

Teachers are not all unionized. Being a union member before you get tenure is stupid because they will not represent you.

Strikes are illegal in most locations.

Tell me about this supposed power that teachers have when they can not strike?

Catch a clue, dumbass!

Teachers are not all unionized. Being a union member before you get tenure is stupid because they will not represent you.

Tell me about this supposed power that teachers have when they can not strike?!

Any non-unionized teacher is a fool, who deserves exactly what they get.

The rest of your post is simply a matter of poorly negotiated contracts. Especially the inability to strike. I work in a Federslly regulated industry far more important than teaching and we retain our right to strike.

Conservatives do not support paying teachers more unless they are paying them to carry guns

I think teacher pay should be increased commensurate to a teacher's education. Teachers should have a formal education background in the courses they are instructing. For example, my biology teacher in high school had his masters in the field. My history teacher had her masters and was a former USN officer and War College instructor. Their experience and educational backgrounds were evident, both in their curriculum and in their ability to deviate and expound upon subjects.

Tell me about this supposed power that teachers have when they can not strike?!

Any non-unionized teacher is a fool, who deserves exactly what they get.

The rest of your post is simply a matter of poorly negotiated contracts. Especially the inability to strike. I work in a Federslly regulated industry far more important than teaching and we retain our right to strike.

Good for you dumbass! You are not subject to state governments! Get an education about education, dumbass!

Your posts are misguided rantings. That is all!

I think teacher pay should be increased commensurate to a teacher's education. Teachers should have a formal education background in the courses they are instructing. For example, my biology teacher in high school had his masters in the field. My history teacher had her masters and was a former USN officer and War College instructor. Their experience and educational backgrounds were evident, both in their curriculum and in their ability to deviate and expound upon subjects.

What makes you think they aren't?

I have a Master's degree and get paid more because of it.

Conservatives do not support paying teachers more unless they are paying them to carry guns
/----/ ahhhhh, a strawman argument for Easter Sunday.
strawman.jpg

Good for you dumbass! You are not subject to state governments! Get an education about education, dumbass!

We're also regulated at the Stste level. I can guarantee you that we would not allow any clause reducing our ability to righteously strike when necessary.

The only education I need about the US public education system is that no child of mine would ever interact with it.

/----/ If I get a Masters degree in Women Studies at the State Agricultural and Tech College near me, can I get a raise at McDonalds? Maybe a promotion to Head Fry Boy?

Well, if they are, then they should be compensated in kind. If they are not then they should not. This is not rocket surgery. Who would you rather take a biology course from? An English lit grad or a biologist?

We're also regulated at the Stste level. I can guarantee you that we would not allow any clause reducing our ability to righteously strike when necessary.

Strikes were outlawed decades ago. Our state legislature just financially raped every teacher by passing a pension reform bill that will cost every retiree dearly. We're they listening then like they did when they outlawed strikes? Yes, it is a law not a fucking contract item.

Well, if they are, then they should be compensated in kind. If they are not then they should not. This is not rocket surgery. Who would you rather take a biology course from? An English lit grad or a biologist?

Did you read my post?

Teachers are certified in the subject they teach about 99 percent of the time. You can be certified without having the degree. I teach math but took my classwork at 2 different schools and I know the subject better than those with a degree hang on the wall. I do have a degree in history and masters in education.

Forum List

Back