Taxpayers Still Funding Planned Parenthood

If you need ten dollars for food and cigarettes, and you only have five dollars, you are going to have to go without one or the other. Probably cigarettes, since food is a necessity. It depends how powerful your addiction to abortions cigarettes is.

If I give you five dollars and say, "You can only spend this on women's health services food", you now have ten dollars (your five dollars and the five dollars I gave you) and are able to buy food AND cigarettes.

So my five dollars, even though earmarked for food, helped you buy cigarettes.

Just so with federal funding of Planned Parenthood. It enables them to perform abortions.

Money is fungible.

If I "defunded" you and took my five dollars back, you would get this fungibility principle the moment your nicotine withdrawals kicked in and you had to decide between buying food or cigarettes. You could no longer buy both.

Take away PP's federal funding, and they will have to decide between abortions and women's health services.
I disagree....for several reasons....although your argument seems logical, I don't think it quite works that way.

Planned Parenthod gets money two ways from the Federal Government.

The absolute largest amount of money they get, is from MEDICAID patients who receive medical care and procedures like pap smears and breast exams or prenatal care among many other medical procedures that MEDICAID is authorized to pay for....

So, most ALL of planned parenthood federal money comes from reimbursement for people on MEDICAID.... if these patients went to a private gyno's office, the private doctor would be reimbursed the exact same amount of money as planned parenthood got for the same reimbursable procedures.

This has absolutely nothing to do with abortions, even though the gynocologist may also do abortions in his office as a private doctor, you are not calling for his reimbursement for MEDICAID patient charges to be stopped, are you?

Second, the other money that some planned parenthood gets is from Title grant, that is mandatory for every State to have....that provides rubbers and birth control pills to the very poorest..... many planned parenthood clinics are NOT given funds for this, because they are not the designated clinic of the State for this......

if memory serves, New Jersey can be an example....none of their planned parenthoods get this TITLE grant money because the State of New Jersey has opened their own clinics for this purpose, and the State of New Jersey is getting the Federal grant money for this and not any of their PP clinics.

And lastly, the women who go to planned parenthood to have abortions, PAY FOR their own abortions.... it is not free and has never been free...

Some of the women have insurance that covers the cost as well.

And, if for any reason it is a very poor person, who can not afford to pay planned parenthood,

Planned parenthood connects them with a Charity that provides money for an abortion for the indigent or very poor if they meet the charity's criteria to qualify. No tax payer money is used or can be used and it is not tied in to medicaid reimbursement, it is all from donations of the charity, if the person can not afford to pay for the abortion from PP.

So, in the case of PP, I don't think your example fits what actually happens and how it all works...
If all the health services are covered, then why does PP need money from the government?

Clearly they don't have enough money to do all the things they do. They are NOT compensated for all those services.

Therefore, the federal money is being used to pay for abortions since money is fungible.

If you need ten dollars for food and cigarettes, and you only have five dollars, you are going to have to go without one or the other. Probably cigarettes, since food is a necessity. It depends how powerful your addiction to abortions cigarettes is.

If I give you five dollars and say, "You can only spend this on women's health services food", you now have ten dollars (your five dollars and the five dollars I gave you) and are able to buy food AND cigarettes.

Just so with federal funding of Planned Parenthood. It enables them to perform abortions.

Money is fungible.

If I "defunded" you and took my five dollars back, you would get this fungibility principle the moment your nicotine withdrawals kicked in and you had to decide between buying food or cigarettes. You could no longer buy both.

Take away PP's federal funding, and they will have to decide between abortions and women's health services.
I disagree....for several reasons....although your argument seems logical, I don't think it quite works that way.

The absolute largest amount of money they get, is from MEDICAID patients who receive medical care and procedures like pap smears and breast exams or prenatal care among many other medical procedures that MEDICAID is authorized to pay for....

So, most ALL of planned parenthood federal money comes from reimbursement for people on MEDICAID.... if these patients went to a private gyno's office, the private doctor would be reimbursed the exact same amount of money as planned parenthood got for the same reimbursable procedures.

This has absolutely nothing to do with abortions, even though the gynocologist may also do abortions in his office as a private doctor, you are not calling for his reimbursement for MEDICAID patient charges to be stopped, are you?

Second, the other money that some planned parenthood gets is from Title grant, that is mandatory for every State to have....that provides rubbers and birth control pills to the very poorest..... many planned parenthood clinics are NOT given funds for this, because they are not the designated clinic of the State for this......

if memory serves, New Jersey can be an example....none of their planned parenthoods get this TITLE grant money because the State of New Jersey has opened their own clinics for this purpose, and the State of New Jersey is getting the Federal grant money for this and not any of their PP clinics.

And lastly, the women who go to planned parenthood to have abortions, PAY FOR their own abortions.... it is not free and has never been free...

And, if for any reason it is a very poor person, who can not afford to pay planned parenthood,

Planned parenthood connects them with a Charity that provides money for an abortion for the indigent or very poor if they meet the charity's criteria to qualify. No tax payer money is used or can be used and it is not tied in to medicaid reimbursement, it is all from donations of the charity, if the person can not afford to pay for the abortion from PP.

So, in the case of PP, I don't think your example fits what actually happens and how it all works...
If all the health services are covered, then why does PP need money from the government?

Clearly they don't have enough money to do all the things they do. They are NOT compensated for all those services.

Therefore, the federal money is being used to pay for abortions since money is fungible.
Planned parenthood is begging for the federal govt to not cut them off from MEDICAID REIMBURSEMENT, and THIS is what the Republicans are trying to do.

Then why did they have them in separate brackets?

Didn't you read your own link?

From your link: "From you link: "This table lists candidates receiving money from this organization in 2015-2016. The organizations themselves did not donate, rather the money came from the organizations' PACs, their individual members or employees or owners, and those individuals' immediate families. Organization totals may include subsidiaries and affiliates." (Emphasis in the original)

The totals represent the PAC, Employees donating in their income in a personal capacity, and immediate family members in their personal capacity.

Employees and immediate family members who work for the parent organization are free to make any donations they want.

However, it is illegal for a 501(c)(3) organization (i.e. the parent organization) to donate to candidates. They may spend 20% on issues (not the same as donating to candidates).

If you have any evidence that the 501(c)(3) Planned Parenthood made the donations to candidates (and not employees or family members acting in their private capacity) I encourage you to file a complaint with the FEC to address the violation of the law.

>>>>

Omnibus still allows America's largest abortion provider to collect hundreds of millions

"American taxpayers will continue to pay Planned Parenthood hundreds of millions of dollars each year despite Republican pledges to defund the nation's largest abortion organization, sparking criticism from pro-life activists.

Planned Parenthood receives more than $500 million each year from American taxpayers, while performing more than 300,000 abortions. Congressional Republicans pushed legislation steering that money away from the organization in order to fund local female health clinics during the Obama administration—an effort that surged in the wake of revelations about its organ harvesting operations—only to be met with opposition from the Democratic White House. Many Republicans campaigned on the issue in 2016, and Speaker of the House Paul Ryan pledged to defund Planned Parenthood in January 2017, but nothing has come of those promises despite GOP control of the White House and both chambers of Congress.

The $1.3 trillion omnibus spending bill was seen as the prime opportunity to strike at Planned Parenthood, which received $543.7 million from taxpayers last year, about 40 percent of its $1.46 billion revenue stream. Republicans, however, did not include the defunding measure in the final bill, as negotiations over a proposed border wall and federal funding for a New York City tunnel took center stage. The negotiations over the massive spending package amounted to a failure, according to pro-life activists."

....and after 'screwing over' their Conservative constituents' again by continuing to fund baby-parts-selling Planned Parenthood....the GOP gave themselves a BONUS in the 1.3 Trillion new debt bill.....

Isn't that special...?!

And the number of abortions each year continues to go down....

It continues to go down from the exponential leaping it did between rvw and 1995. No, abortions do not reduce the number of abortions. Killing babies and exploiting women does not prevent infant deaths and exploitation of women, either. What has happened is there has been a push back from america who NEVER WANTED STATE SPONSORED ABORTION in the first place, and that push back has resulted in a slight reduction of the baby killing free for all that the dems revel in.

And the abortion numbers are still WAAAAAYYYY above what they were pre-"abortions for all".

Trump can sign a bill to defund planned parenthood. But congress has not put a bill like that on his desk yet...

Money is fungible.

Planned parenthood is begging for the federal govt to not cut them off from MEDICAID REIMBURSEMENT, and THIS is what the Republicans are trying to do.
The Republicans are trying to cut off MEDICAID reimbursement....

This concerns democrats and planned parenthood, because most of these women, have no where to go for the female health care in their own neighborhoods, with easy access.

Doctors do NOT operate in their neighborhoods, with practices, in the numbers needed to cover them all....not even close.

By cutting off MEDICAID reimbursement, it will literally cut off these women's health care, through the lack of access to a doctor that they can get to....

Same with the other 60% that go there for medical care, and pay for it through their own insurance that they get through their work....without the planned parenthood clinics in THEIR neighborhoods, they have no place close to go..... this diminishes their ability to conveniently and easily, access a Doctor....My state of Maine, relies on them....we don't even have enough Doctors here in the richer neighborhoods! :eek:

Planned Parenthood Battle Could Sway Fortunes of G.O.P. Health Bill

Republicans can afford to lose only two votes when the final tally comes as soon as Thursday. Moderate Republican senators such as Susan Collins of Maine and Lisa Murkowski of Alaska have expressed deep misgivings over the Planned Parenthood provision, which would deprive the organization of more than 40 percent of its funding, jeopardizing health care for women in states like theirs. But restoring Medicaid reimbursements to the health organization could cost just as many votes on the right.

Omnibus still allows America's largest abortion provider to collect hundreds of millions

"American taxpayers will continue to pay Planned Parenthood hundreds of millions of dollars each year despite Republican pledges to defund the nation's largest abortion organization, sparking criticism from pro-life activists.

Planned Parenthood receives more than $500 million each year from American taxpayers, while performing more than 300,000 abortions. Congressional Republicans pushed legislation steering that money away from the organization in order to fund local female health clinics during the Obama administration—an effort that surged in the wake of revelations about its organ harvesting operations—only to be met with opposition from the Democratic White House. Many Republicans campaigned on the issue in 2016, and Speaker of the House Paul Ryan pledged to defund Planned Parenthood in January 2017, but nothing has come of those promises despite GOP control of the White House and both chambers of Congress.

The $1.3 trillion omnibus spending bill was seen as the prime opportunity to strike at Planned Parenthood, which received $543.7 million from taxpayers last year, about 40 percent of its $1.46 billion revenue stream. Republicans, however, did not include the defunding measure in the final bill, as negotiations over a proposed border wall and federal funding for a New York City tunnel took center stage. The negotiations over the massive spending package amounted to a failure, according to pro-life activists."

....and after 'screwing over' their Conservative constituents' again by continuing to fund baby-parts-selling Planned Parenthood....the GOP gave themselves a BONUS in the 1.3 Trillion new debt bill.....

Isn't that special...?!

Good. We have to fund the so-called pregnancy crisis centers, so why not Planned Parenthood?

We shouldnt be giving them a penny considering how many millions they use to influence the vote.
Use TAX PAYER MONEY at election times. Fuck that

How many millions do you think Pro-life groups used in an attempt to obtain a political win?

Forum List

Back