Sweeps, Nomads, Quacks, and Crawlers

The Mysterious London Crawlers

The Crawlers were wrecks of humanity – old women reduced to a poverty so low that they no longer had the energy to beg.

View attachment 825867

Who were the London Crawlers of Victorian England? The Crawlers were members of street society around the 1870s in poor sections of London that included Sweeps, Nomads, Quacks, and Crawlers.

The Sweeps were the chimney sweeps, the Nomads were the travelers who stayed in caravans on vacant land in Battersea. The Quacks were the Street Doctors, sellers of miracle elixirs, pills, potions, and questionable medical advice. The Crawlers were those pitiful souls that barely had the energy to crawl about on the streets, searching for food opportunities.

They lived on tea made from used tea leaves and a few crusts of bread. They had to always sleep with one eye open, so they never really slept. They were in a constant state of dozing– so lethargic they had to crawl about to get donations of boiling water for their tea leaves or pieces of bread. They really felt lucky if someone threw them a joint bone to gnaw on.

This is part of that superior culture who came over here to America. Things were so bad that people agreed to 7 years of servitude in order to get away from Europe. THIS, is what most white Americans came from.

So most white Americans weren't slave owners, thanks for acknowledging the facts.

A grammar nazi. How about you learn to construct a coherent argument?
I do that quite often, with people intelligent enough to be interesting.
Your monotone racist bugle note is as tedious as it is ineffective.

So most white Americans weren't slave owners, thanks for acknowledging the facts.

That doesn't negate the fact that most of the blacks here were slaves that were owned by whites while non slave owning whites did nothing. Nor does it negate Jim Crow that was after slavery or the modern racism now. Why is it that whites like you can't accept your history? I've had to accept that people who looked like me were slaves.

White fragility.

I do that quite often, with people intelligent enough to be interesting.
Your monotone racist bugle note is as tedious as it is ineffective.
You are really not very intelligent. That's why you troll.

Stryker50 is here. But he can't comment, because that's what people like him do.

That doesn't negate the fact that most of the blacks here were slaves that were owned by whites while non slave owning whites did nothing. Nor does it negate Jim Crow that was after slavery or the modern racism now. Why is it that whites like you can't accept your history? I've had to accept that people who looked like me were slaves.

White fragility.

The non-owning white were too tired from all that crawling and sleeping with 1 eye open.

LOL, modern racism is a white old rich guy telling black people "you ain't black if you don't vote for me".

9778149.jpg

The Crawlers were wrecks of humanity – old women reduced to a poverty so low that they no longer had the energy to beg.

View attachment 825867

Who were the London Crawlers of Victorian England? The Crawlers were members of street society around the 1870s in poor sections of London that included Sweeps, Nomads, Quacks, and Crawlers.

The Sweeps were the chimney sweeps, the Nomads were the travelers who stayed in caravans on vacant land in Battersea. The Quacks were the Street Doctors, sellers of miracle elixirs, pills, potions, and questionable medical advice. The Crawlers were those pitiful souls that barely had the energy to crawl about on the streets, searching for food opportunities.

They lived on tea made from used tea leaves and a few crusts of bread. They had to always sleep with one eye open, so they never really slept. They were in a constant state of dozing– so lethargic they had to crawl about to get donations of boiling water for their tea leaves or pieces of bread. They really felt lucky if someone threw them a joint bone to gnaw on.

This is part of that superior culture who came over here to America. Things were so bad that people agreed to 7 years of servitude in order to get away from Europe. THIS, is what most white Americans came from.
A whole lot of them did, that is true. However there were plenty of Loyalist upper-crusties appointed by the king and sponsored by the king as well. They appropriated the king's business interests here and were paid handsomely. Old Boston totally reflects this dual nature of Anglican immigration. Boston had both types of Americans living in the same city. It was kind of a choice to be made among those American aristocrats. This added to the mystique and clandestine nature of America's aristocracy. Unlike the crawlers, they had a choice. They had to choose if they would be wealthy because of the king's favor or because of their own enterprise.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: IM2
Because if Europe had been so much, they wouldn't have needed to colonize Africa

It was the destiny of white Europeans to bring jazz music and fried foods to the less civilized corners of the earth.

The White Man's Burden.

Tell that to your white buddies who believe all Africans were living in mud huts and throwing spears. London was not the only European s-hole. Because if Europe had been so much, they wouldn't have needed to colonize Africa.

I already have ..many times. I know a lot more about Africa than you would think. And European countries were in competition with each other, which greatly increased their desire for new resources, and it wasnt only Europeans who colonize Africa.

Then you'll never find out how the "crawlers" came to be".

The fools voted for democrat filth and suffered the consequences of their own actions.
their families had tilled the commons for millennia until the invention of "capitalism" and the enclosure of the commons for sheep.

the "commoners" had no choice but to migrate to the cities to look for work in the new mills and industry of the cities.

the lower class you describe was the result. from the london streets it was a short walk to the poor house or debtors prison, where they were scooped up and sentenced to the colonies.
"democrats" had nothing to do with it. the problem was the parasitic aristocracy and the economic system designed to pay for dynastic warfare of the time.

You needed to be more subtle for this attempted satire or old fashioned wind up to work .
Perhaps you should have compared what used to happen everywhere with what we are seeing more and more in modern America today
But maybe the thought of being known as the United Banana States is too much for Americans to accept yet , let alone to handle. .

Forum List

Back