Battle of Sabine Pass, September 8,1863

bdtex

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2013
sabine-pass_4.jpg

On this day in 1863, 40-something Confederate soldiers from Company F, 1st Texas Heavy Artillery Regiment, commanded by Lt. Richard Dowling, turned back a Union invasion force on 11 ships at Sabine Pass. The Confederate defenders had 6 pieces of artillery pre-sighted on points in the channel at Sabine Pass. The Confederate defenders suffered no casualties. Estimated casualties in the Union forces was 230 and 300 captured. Most of the casualties were sailors. Those captured ended up at Camp Ford in Tyler, Texas.

Last edited:
Sabine Pass Battleground State Historic Site is about 1 hour, 30 minutes from my house. I've been there 3 times. I was fortunate to get to go there on the battle anniversay in 2018, which fell on a Saturday.

The walking beam of the USS Clifton is on display there.

2018-09-08 15.20.06.jpg

2018-09-08 15.18.42.jpg

Lt. Richard Dowling, Co. F, 1st Texas Heavy Artillery, was a Houstonian. He died on September 23, 1867 and is buried at Saint Vincent's Cemetery in Houston.

2020-06-13 13.26.39-1.jpg

You should go to the San Jacinto battlefield, since you are in the area. Very nice.
I live 10-15 minutes from there. Go there every weekend when I'm in town. My 86 year old mother with dementia likes the driving tour.

My favorite so far is still Shiloh. Its an objectively beautiful park. Admittedly I haven't been to any battlefields on the East Coast.

View attachment 826594

On this day in 1863, 40-something Confederate soldiers from Company F, 1st Texas Heavy Artillery Regiment, commanded by Lt. Richard Dowling, turned back a Union invasion force on 11 ships at Sabine Pass. The Confederate defenders had 6 pieces of artillery pre-sighted on points in the channel at Sabine Pass. The Confederate defenders suffered no casualties. Estimated casualties in the Union forces was 230 and 300 captured. Most of the casualties were sailors. Those captured ended up at Camp Ford in Tyler, Texas.

Heroes Cast Away

Sounds like the first battle on Wake Island, the day after Pearl Harbor.

Sabine Pass Battleground State Historic Site is about 1 hour, 30 minutes from my house. I've been there 3 times. I was fortunate to get to go there on the battle anniversay in 2018, which fell on a Saturday.

I love Texas's deep History.
From the Alamo to San Jacinto there's so much history!!!

Forum List

Back