Supreme Court upholds Arizona voting laws

it is no harder for minorities to vote than it is for anyone else. Unless of course your a racist and think it is.

The voting rights act was pure corruption.
But are you folks the same ones who claim whole elections are rigged against you??

But you simultaneously believe that its just impossible for voting restrictions to be racially targeted against minorities??

But I am glad you have come out against the Voting Rights Act and called it corrupt....it was tiring seeing you dic suckers pretending to have supported it all this time
no, we are folks who see shifts in vote COUNTING by partisans who are not held accountable to the people.

The Supreme Court upheld Arizona’s voting law that cracks down on ballot harvesting and takes aim at mail-in ballot fraud, despite a challenge from the Democratic National Committee (DNC). The high court ruled that the reforms in Arizona’s law do not violate the Voting Rights Act (VRA). Chief Justice Roberts and Justices Alito, Kavanaugh, Gorsuch, Thomas, and Barrett sided with Arizona Attorney General Mark Brnovich, while Justices Kagan, Breyer, and Sotomayor said that the law violates Section 2 of the VRA.

BREAKING NEWS: In 6-3 ruling, SCOTUS upholds two Arizona voting provisions: a ban on so-called "ballot harvesting," and a policy that throws out an entire ballot if it was cast in the wrong precinct. Challengers argued that both provisions discriminate against minority voters.

"Today's United States Supreme Court ruling is a resounding victory for election integrity and the rule of law. Democrats were attempting to make Arizona ballots less secure for political gain, and the Court saw right through their partisan lies. In Arizona and across the nation, states know best how to manage their own elections."

"The RNC is proud to have worked closely with the Arizona GOP to support this historic victory, and we will continue our comprehensive efforts to make it easier to vote and harder to cheat."

This is one of the few victories the American people have had since Joe Biden took office and rhw Democrats took both the House and Senate.

it is no harder for minorities to vote than it is for anyone else. Unless of course your a racist and think it is.

The voting rights act was pure corruption.
But are you folks the same ones who claim whole elections are rigged against you??

But you simultaneously believe that its just impossible for voting restrictions to be racially targeted against minorities??

But I am glad you have come out against the Voting Rights Act and called it corrupt....it was tiring seeing you dic suckers pretending to have supported it all this time
Okay, so I was thinking of the wrong law. When I hear the voting rights act, I think of the corrupt power grab by the Democrats in Congress trying to rig elections in their favor for the rest of eternity.

I am NOT opposed to the 1965 Voting Rights Act.

I AM opposed to ballot harvesting and mailing ballots out to a street address database with zero accountability of who is casting a vote.

I oppose the "For the people" act

Ballot harvesting is not dead it is just narrowed...
California is controlled by the ccp and their agents harvesting votes. Only ccp approved candidates win.
All I see is someone typing echo chamber lyrics where your name is..I do like the way that Trump makes sure we only get the best candidates hand picked by himself and not the voters or the person themselves...Just like it has always been done in the USA.

Last year we had a lot of polling places get moved. I do not understand the desire to cancel out someone's vote simply because they came to the wrong polling place. Maybe they waited in line 3 hours.......

We should do all we can to protect a persons Constitutional Rights.
We should do everything we can to protect a legal citizen's Constitutional Rights.

Which is what is being discussed here but since you brought it up, the Constitution applies to those not here legally also.

"The Supreme Court on Thursday upheld two election laws in the 2020 battleground state of Arizona that challengers said make it harder for minorities to vote. The case was an important test for what's left of one of the nation's most important civil rights laws, the Voting Rights Act of 1965.

The 6-3 ruling Thursday was split between the conservative and liberal justices. In the past, the Voting Right Act required states with a history of discrimination to get permission from a court or the Justice Department before changing election procedures, the test being whether the change would leave minority voters worse off. Civil rights groups were hoping the Supreme Court would use the Arizona case to strengthen their ability to challenge the dozens of post-2020 voting restrictions imposed by Republican legislatures in the wake of Donald Trump's defeat."

This is great news because we already have a 15th amendment...so this Voting Rights Act was never necessary in the first place because due to the 15th amendment; there never was any discrimination against minority voters...especially blacks....

In fact, since the 15th amendment was passed -- there has not been a single instance of voters being denied the right to vote based on race...That is why I never understood why people patted themselves on the back for the 1965 Voting Rights Act...like come on, there was never any need for it....were these folks actually believing that states would find other sneaky ways to deny blacks their constitutional rights?? Really? No state would do that....
of course the Act was necessary, we needed a tool to enforce the 15th amendment because dems were doing all they could to oppress, obstruct, and undermine votes so they could maintain power!

They still are at it! and they attempt to undermine any and every state that try’s to secure elections

I'm still not totally clear how the Ariz gop will now allow ballots to be collected on native american reservations where people don't have mail service and access to polling places. There was a thread by a pro-Gop restriction poster (that I can't find now) asking for examples of actual suppression of votes, and this was the one I could think of. The USSC has no interest in acutally having people vote. Their interest is in removing court oversight (maybe only when the gop benefits, but maybe they're more inclined to even handedness). But prior to McConnell electing the present Court, the rule was: voting is a fundamental right, all rights can be regulated, but how can the state's interest in fair elections be carried out with stomping on individual rights as little as possible.

I'm still not totally clear how the Ariz gop will now allow ballots to be collected on native american reservations where people don't have mail service and access to polling places. There was a thread by a pro-Gop restriction poster (that I can't find now) asking for examples of actual suppression of votes, and this was the one I could think of. The USSC has no interest in acutally having people vote. Their interest is in removing court oversight (maybe only when the gop benefits, but maybe they're more inclined to even handedness). But prior to McConnell electing the present Court, the rule was: voting is a fundamental right, all rights can be regulated, but how can the state's interest in fair elections be carried out with stomping on individual rights as little as possible.

Polling places are set up by county, not state. Some reservations have polling places.

Here's a bleating HuffPo article about the SCOTUS decision, which makes me think they are mad because they know the jig is up:

SCOTUS allows Arizona Law to Stand

One is Arizona’s policy of discarding ballots cast outside of a person’s precinct, which leads to full ballots being tossed out even if they include statewide or national races the individual is eligible to vote in. The second is Arizona’s ban on collecting and delivering ballots for others ― often referred to as ballot-harvesting ― with an exception for family, caregivers, mail carriers and voting officials. The latter policy was adopted after Arizona was freed from preclearance by the court’s Shelby County decision.

The Democratic National Committee sued the state in 2016 to block those policies, arguing they were in violation of the “results test” added to the Voting Rights Act’s Section 2 in 1982. The “results test” section bars any voting restrictions that result in racial discrimination.

Both policies disproportionately affect nonwhite voters, challengers argued. Black, Hispanic and Native American voters in Arizona were more likely than white ones to vote outside their assigned precinct, the 9th Circuit found. And many people of color, particularly Native Americans, live outside of regular mail service, making ballot-delivery efforts more helpful to them.

WHY?????

Why are Blacks, Hispanics, and Native Americans, who are conclusively more likely to vote Democrat, also the same people who, coincidentally, are more likely to vote outside their assigned precinct? Somebody 'splain that shit to me.

Last year we had a lot of polling places get moved. I do not understand the desire to cancel out someone's vote simply because they came to the wrong polling place. Maybe they waited in line 3 hours.......

We should do everything we can to protect a legal citizen's Constitutional Rights.

Which is what is being discussed here but since you brought it up, the Constitution applies to those not here legally also.
Since you want to take that stand, I disagree 1000%. The right to vote is a right that ONLY citizens enjoy. As it should be.

Since you want to take that stand, I disagree 1000%. The right to vote is a right that ONLY citizens enjoy. As it should be.

I didn't say illegals can vote. The Constitution doesn't give illegals the right to vote but the Constitution still applies to illegals.

The Constitution clearly states a citizen can never be deported but it allows those not citizens to be deported. Before being deported though they have a right to a fair trial, etc.

I didn't say illegals can vote. The Constitution doesn't give illegals the right to vote but the Constitution still applies to illegals.

The Constitution clearly states a citizen can never be deported but it allows those not citizens to be deported. Before being deported though they have a right to a fair trial, etc.
So, why are Blacks, Hispanics, and Native American voters more likely to vote outside their precincts?

Explain that one.

So, why are Blacks, Hispanics, and Native American voters more likely to vote outside their precincts?

Explain that one.

Just because you say that is the case does not mean it is.

Well, since the topic of the thread is "voting" then your remark regarding non-citizens is meaningless. Thanks for playin.g

Forum List

Back