Supreme Court Overrules Bush on Guantanamo

Wow, what an impressive partisan knee-jerk reaction from many of you.

Listen, all the ruling says is that if Bush wants to this he has to first go back to congress, who chose to "play it safe" and ignore the issue for so many years, and ask them for the authority to do so.

I feel for our men and women in congress, as this will now distract them from the real issues at hand such as flag burning and "under god" in the pledge...

Redhots said:
I feel for our men and women in congress, as this will now distract them from the real issues at hand such as flag burning and "under god" in the pledge...

Not to mention the congressional vote for their fifth raise this year may now be delayed.

Hobbit said:
Uh, the guys at Gitmo were caught on the battlefield shooting at American soldiers. I don't think there's a lot of wiggle room to lock up people who call Bush a Nazi. Well, until the protesters bring their assemblies to Fallujah, anyway.

According to a report from <a href=http://law.shu.edu/news/guantanamo_report_final_2_08_06.pdf>Seton Hall University School of Law</a>, some 55% of the detainees at GITMO have not been found to have committed ANY hostile acts against the US. Of the total number, only 8% are considered to be Al Qaeda "fighters". Of the rest, 40% have no identifiable ties to Al Qaeda, and 18% have no identified ties to either Al Qaeda or the Taliban.

Of those detained, only 5% were actually captured by US forces. 86% were captured by either Pakistani or Afghan Northern Alliance forces for a bounty.

As you can see, a large majority of those being detained at GITMO were not "...caught on the battlefield shooting at American soldiers...". And many whose only crime was beng in the wrong place at the wrong time. Once again, you've drunk of the Administration's kool-aid without ever questioning the contents. But thinking for youself taxes you so...It's simply too tiresome for you to examine your views. Better to let someone else tell you what to think.

Dr Grump said:
Aye, so did Bush..go figure........

At least Bush hasn't tried to fuck a bucktoothed fat chick, for that fact alone he's miles smarter than Bubba ever dreamed of being. He got elected twice because you guys are soft on national security and a vast majority doesn't agree with your "freaks first" social agenda.

You know i'm right so don't embarrass yourself further by arguing these points.

Mr.Conley said:
Who said anything about torture. I just think that the United States should hold itself to a higher standard than terrorists.

So you prefer to use truthiness when determining your position on policy?

Who said that not allowing yourself to use tacticts your enemy uses because of some mythical high standard bullshit is a good thing?

Despite what the media will have you believe "torture" or in America's case "humiliation"(no torture at Abu Ghraib has been proved, just good ol' fun humiliation) is a proven and effective tool of war.

OCA said:
Who said that not allowing yourself to use tacticts your enemy uses because of some mythical high standard bullshit is a good thing?
So you think America actions should be no different than those of terrorists?
OCA said:
Despite what the media will have you believe "torture" or in America's case "humiliation"(no torture at Abu Ghraib has been proved, just good ol' fun humiliation) is a proven and effective tool of war.
I think Donald Rumsfield, President Bush, the House of Representatives, the Senate, and the military court that convicted the people responsible for Abu Ghraib disagree with you.

Mr.Conley said:
So you think America actions should be no different than those of terrorists?

I think Donald Rumsfield, President Bush, the House of Representatives, the Senate, and the military court that convicted the people responsible for Abu Ghraib disagree with you.

Political expediency and pc convicted them, I don't give a shit what they think.

Extracting information by all neccessary means does not equate us to those who kill 3,000 plus civilians at a time......nice try, better luck next time, i'll tell you I don't fall in line with your sheep or lemming like thinking spoon fed to you by the mass media.

OCA said:
Political expediency and pc convicted them, I don't give a shit what they think.
So you don't believe anything anyone tells you if it goes against your preconcieved worldview?
OCA said:
Extracting information by all neccessary means does not equate us to those who kill 3,000 plus civilians at a time......nice try, better luck next time, i'll tell you I don't fall in line with your sheep or lemming like thinking spoon fed to you by the mass media.
So you would rather use the same method of torture that terrorist use despite the fact that actual experts in extracting information from a suspect say that that is an extremely bad way of extracting information from the suspect? (they'll say anything, true or false, to get you to stop)
You do realize that what you propose would hurt America? Are you anti-American?

CSM said:
Is it as short a step as from "dissenter" to "traitor"?

Ya know...I'm just soooooo sick of the label "traitor" being applied to ANYONE who disagrees with the ill-concieved, short-sighted, poorly implemented, double talking, bait-and-switching policies of Chimpy McPresident's administration.

When I joined the military, I took an oath to support and defend the Constitution, against all enemies. I've long since left the military behind, but not that oath. But since I'm no longer in the military, I can ignore the part about obeying the orders of th POTUS and the officers appointed over me.

I served honorably, as did my father and grandfather before me...I still have family members on active duty who have been to Iraq, and are going to be deployed there. And even if I hadn't, to accuse me or anyone else of treason for opposing Chimpy's aforementioned policies is utter bullshit. It is not anti-American to oppose a president and administration seemingly more interested in subverting the Constitution for their own ends than in defending from all enemies, foreign and domestic, as they swore to.

If you want to live where opposition to the government's policies is a crime, I'm sure North Korea or Mainland China will cheerfully take you in.

Bullypulpit said:
Ya know...I'm just soooooo sick of the label "traitor" being applied to ANYONE who disagrees with the ill-concieved, short-sighted, poorly implemented, double talking, bait-and-switching policies of Chimpy McPresident's administration.

When I joined the military, I took an oath to support and defend the Constitution, against all enemies. I've long since left the military behind, but not that oath. But since I'm no longer in the military, I can ignore the part about obeying the orders of th POTUS and the officers appointed over me.

I served honorably, as did my father and grandfather before me...I still have family members on active duty who have been to Iraq, and are going to be deployed there. And even if I hadn't, to accuse me or anyone else of treason for opposing Chimpy's aforementioned policies is utter bullshit. It is not anti-American to oppose a president and administration seemingly more interested in subverting the Constitution for their own ends than in defending from all enemies, foreign and domestic, as they swore to.

If you want to live where opposition to the government's policies is a crime, I'm sure North Korea or Mainland China will cheerfully take you in.

Again, your dissent is not why you're being labelleed a traitor. The traitorous nature of your thoughts is what's getting you labelled a traitor.

Mr.Conley said:
So you don't believe anything anyone tells you if it goes against your preconcieved worldview?

So you would rather use the same method of torture that terrorist use despite the fact that actual experts in extracting information from a suspect say that that is an extremely bad way of extracting information from the suspect? (they'll say anything, true or false, to get you to stop)
You do realize that what you propose would hurt America? Are you anti-American?

Please explain exactly how it will hurt America? I believe it not only to be a useful information gathering technique but also 1 hell of a stress reducer.

AntiAmerican!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Me!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lol what a rookie!
Your way of thinking will lead to defeat, which one is more anti-American?

Keep up that good'ol lapping of the media groul.

God bless the Haditha marines and free the unjustly persecuted Abu Ghraib soldiers who did nothing but their duty to country.

rtwngAvngr said:
Again, your dissent is not why you're being labelleed a traitor. The traitorous nature of your thoughts is what's getting you labelled a traitor.

Bully is way too dense to pick that fact up, you're talking to a brick wall.

OCA said:
Please explain exactly how it will hurt America? I believe it not only to be a useful information gathering technique but also 1 hell of a stress reducer.
Information from tortured suspects is far less reliable that other methods, yet you want us to torture people anyway. Why do you want to use bad methods to gain bad information? That hurts America.

OCA said:
AntiAmerican!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Me!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lol what a rookie!
Your way of thinking will lead to defeat, which one is more anti-American?
Anyone can say they are American, but your actions and views show what you really think.
My way of thinking will get us more accurate information; you way will help the terrorists win. Why do you want America to lose the War on Terror?

OCA said:
God bless the Haditha marines and free the unjustly persecuted Abu Ghraib soldiers who did nothing but their duty to country.
Ahh.. I see. Why do you enjoy the suffering of other people, especially when it hurts the American effort in Iraq? That's both anti-American and sadistic.

Mr.Conley said:
Information from tortured suspects is far less reliable that other methods, yet you want us to torture people anyway. Why do you want to use bad methods to gain bad information? That hurts America.

Anyone can say they are American, but your actions and views show what you really think.
My way of thinking will get us more accurate information; you way will help the terrorists win. Why do you want America to lose the War on Terror?

Ahh.. I see. Why do you enjoy the suffering of other people, especially when it hurts the American effort in Iraq? That's both anti-American and sadistic.

You see you are preconditioned to believe the crap you've been spoonfed on torture by the media. The Geneva convention on torture is not used by our enemies and should not be used by us. Torture and humiliation are excellent military tools, why are you against the military? Why do you want to tie their hands?

Anyway, please keep up, your true blue colors are bleeding through, would you like a falafel with your tea?

OCA said:
You see you are preconditioned to believe the crap you've been spoonfed on torture by the media.
As compared to you? Then again, you do seem to enjoy and have personal knowledge about torturing people...
OCA said:
The Geneva convention on torture is not used by our enemies and should not be used by us.
SO we should use the same tactics as terrorists?

OCA said:
Torture and humiliation are excellent military tools, why are you against the military? Why do you want to tie their hands?
Why are you trying to bring humiliation into a discussion about torture? Is it because you realize your losing and want to shift to a more tenable position? Why do the actual interrogators disagree with you about torture as a method for extracting information? Is it because they don't enjoy torturing people as much as you do?
OCA said:
Also slick what is your RELIABLE way of garnering information? Lol
Sleep deprivation, disorienting their sense of time, Extreme sleep/wake cycles. Numbing. Fake executions. Those are a few I can think of off the top of my head.

Mr.Conley said:
As compared to you? Then again, you do seem to enjoy and have personal knowledge about torturing people...

SO we should use the same tactics as terrorists?

Why are you trying to bring humiliation into a discussion about torture? Is it because you realize your losing and want to shift to a more tenable position? Why do the actual interrogators disagree with you about torture as a method for extracting information? Is it because they don't enjoy torturing people as much as you do?

Sleep deprivation, disorienting their sense of time, Extreme sleep/wake cycles. Numbing. Fake executions. Those are a few I can think of off the top of my head.

Yes we should be using humiliation/torture(I mentioned that the tacticts used at Ghraib were in fact humiliation and not torture in an earlier post, perhaps you have a comprehension problem), it is a proven and effective method of info gathering.

I never lose, it would behoove you to learn that seeing as you are a rookie here.

All the methods you mentioned were used at Ghraib so maybe we are in agreement and you aren't aware enough to realize it.

If given the chance I would love to torture ragheads, perhaps because I have a set of balls and you don't?

OCA said:
Yes we should be using humiliation/torture(I mentioned that the tacticts used at Ghraib were in fact humiliation and not torture in an earlier post, perhaps you have a comprehension problem), it is a proven and effective method of info gathering.
Did you know that when you said tht torture was not used at Abu Ghraib you were lying?
Again, President Bush, the entire army, Donald Rumsfield, and both houses of Congress all disagree with you, "there was no torture at Abu Ghraib," bit.
OCA said:
I never lose, it would behoove you to learn that seeing as you are a rookie here.
So the validity of an argument is determined by the number of posts a person has? That's adorable.
OCA said:
All the methods you mentioned were used at Ghraib so maybe we are in agreement and you aren't aware enough to realize it.
And did you know that other methods that stand in sharp contrast to what Amercia stands for were also used?
OCA said:
If given the chance I would love to torture ragheads, perhaps because I have a set of balls and you don't?
I would rather effectively interrogate a terrorist and extract information that could be used to save American and innocent Iraqi lives. That's just me though.

rtwngAvngr said:

<blockquote><b>Treason</b>: the offense of attempting by overt acts to overthrow the government of the state to which the offender owes allegiance or to kill or personally injure the sovereign or the sovereign's family - Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary</blockquote>

Now that I have clarified what is meant by treason, I cannot be labeled a traitor, given that I have committed no offense contained within that definition.

I have only advocated a change of government by those means available to us under the Constitution, never by force of arms. Nor, have I ever advocated for the harm of Chimpy McPresident or his family, unless you count being imprisoned for his crimes under that heading. Which I have advocated for should he be tried and convicted.

It would behoove you, in the future, to at least have some grasp, however tenuous, of the matter of which you are speaking.

BEWARE, rtwngAvngr! Z.O.G. IS WATCHING YOU! :tinfoil:

Forum List

Back